The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board > Squarebody Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-07-2015, 12:37 AM   #1
lightningtruck

1983 step-side

Well I have an '83 step side that I acquired from a good friend.
I usually fix stuff up then end up selling it and have been wanting something to keep for a while. My friend got this truck from his friend. It was ordered new in Atlanta GA and lived there its entire life. Then he got sick and gave it to my friend. I was impressed with the truck when he got it and thought Wow I wish I could find a truck like that. Orig owner had painted the truck and then my friend started to do minor stuff like bed wood and interior issues...
Well then my friend in feb '15 told me he had 3 to 9 months to live.
He was a car nut like me and had 25 - 30 cars. He new I liked squares and told me to tell him if I wanted to make a deal. So we did. I have had the truck for 3-4 months and he passed away on 7-10-15. He was never able to drive it and had only had it a short while. I am almost like the second owner. Glad I got it. He was a wealth of knowledge and is greatly missed. People like him will never be replaced. He could build anything and had the knowledge of 10 people.
I wanted to start a project page and also be able to field some quetions from time to time.
Sorry so long.

P.S. I never wanted a stepside, especially a red one, but I really am starting to like it!

So I have to keep this one! I hope to enjoy posting things about the truck and where we go and what we do. I will keep it as orig as possible and use it as a reminder to slow down and enjoy ourselves.

The day I got it. (I know emblems and sidemarkers are wrong, lol)
Attached Images

lightningtruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 07:24 AM   #2
flashed

Re: 1983 step-side

Sorry about your friend but your truck looks very nice.I think he would be happy that you will be a good caregiver for the truck.
flashed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 10:49 AM   #3
Rich84

Good luck with your truck.

Be well.
Rich84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 12:29 AM   #4
lightningtruck

Well I have some questions.
The shocks look original or dealer replaced. I need new shocks. Does anyone have recommendations?
Also power brake booster hisses on the inside of the truck when I step on the brake pedal. My SPID says 1J55 heavy duty power brakes.
Rock auto lists the options as JB3 and JB5 so I am stumped. Carquest also says they are not sure. JB5 looks correct. Any ideas?

Grille Is all repainted and back on, new headlights, A/C is charged and cold, I have almost all the interior back together. But bed is now off and being fixed up on the underside.

Check out the behind the seat thingy. And the chalk markings on the grille and the core support and the frosty accumulator! Kinda cool!
Attached Images

lightningtruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 12:42 PM   #5
Rich84

I really like this truck..Wish I had ice cold air in mine..I leave it home on these hot days.
Rich84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2015, 04:50 PM   #6
Barbecue

Very sorry to hear of your friend's passing. It is when close friends speak kind words of those we've passed, as you've done above, that enable one who has passed to carry on. Very nice that you'll be able to keep and maintain this truck as a keepsake and memory of him. Beautiful truck, keep up the good work.
Barbecue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2015, 07:41 AM   #7
RodsGreen10

Quote:
Originally Posted by lightningtruck View Post
Well I have some questions.
The shocks look original or dealer replaced. I need new shocks. Does anyone have recommendations?
Also power brake booster hisses on the inside of the truck when I step on the brake pedal. My SPID says 1J55 heavy duty power brakes.
Rock auto lists the options as JB3 and JB5 so I am stumped. Carquest also says they are not sure. JB5 looks correct. Any ideas?

Grille Is all repainted and back on, new headlights, A/C is charged and cold, I have almost all the interior back together. But bed is now off and being fixed up on the underside.

Check out the behind the seat thingy. And the chalk markings on the grille and the core support and the frosty accumulator! Kinda cool!
JB5 is Correct. That's what you want to get.
RodsGreen10 is offline   Reply With Quote