The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > projects and builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-13-2017, 09:42 AM   #1
aggie91
I'm just glad to be here!

Re: Grizz's Redneck Express 1966 Chevy Short Fleetside RESTO-GO!

Nice work on the "HD Blazer"

1965 Chevy Stepside(Grandpa's Old Blue) and (July 2015 Shop Build!)(2020, the Saga Continues)
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=372424

The LST Challenge:
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...=1#post7812257

Korbin's 1st Square: "Sunburn"
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=418618

1985 GMC Sierra: "White Trash", Korbin's 2nd now...
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=632305

Henry - 1984 Chevrolet, Owen's 1st Square
aggie91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 03:16 PM   #2
Grizz1963

Quote:
Originally Posted by flashed View Post
I love the Emblem placement ,you are really going to confuse a lot of people over there .
Quote:
Originally Posted by Palf70Step View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by aggie91 View Post
Nice work on the "HD Blazer"

Thanks guys.

It will confuse some and agitate some

Perfect.
Grizz1963 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 06:04 PM   #3
Palf70Step
State of Confusion!

Not sure Rian. I have not seen a reasonable key that had gadget stuff in it ever. Most places you get a blank, then the the dealer programs them. I use the valet key on my wife's car just so I don't have to have a key fob. I suspect the valet key is even programed. The 64, 02, and 07 trucks all just have normal keys and standard locks.

Member of Louisiana Classic Truck Club (LCTC)

Bill's Gallery
Life isn't tied with a bow, but it's still a gift.
Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God!
Palf70Step is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 08:52 AM   #4
Grizz1963

Quote:
Not sure Rian. I have not seen a reasonable key that had gadget stuff in it ever. Most places you get a blank, then the the dealer programs them. I use the valet key on my wife's car just so I don't have to have a key fob. I suspect the valet key is even programed. The 64, 02, and 07 trucks all just have normal keys and standard locks.

Thanks Bill

I have a plan forming in the back of my head.

Found this pic on the Berlingo forums.

However, it is just a guidance pic

Who knows what front lips, spoilers, splitters etc are out there on existing cars that can be transplanted or grafted to the front of mine?

I know Mk1 Golfs had them a long time ago.

Bad photos of current front end.

Thanks guys.
Old 03-15-2017, 09:41 AM   #5
flashed

I love your creativity on all your projects .
flashed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 06:19 PM   #6
Grizz1963

Quote:
I love your creativity on all your projects .
Thank you very much John, that is very generous of you.

I am always thankful that there is stuff I can mess with and get a random result from.
Old 03-17-2017, 06:21 PM   #7
Grizz1963

Away from home for four days this week, I was just down the road at Heathrow in the line of Terminal 5's flight path.

Training, followed by more training and planning, strategy and sales talk. Three days of a throbbing headache, too little sleep and too much good food.

Ohhhhh, and I dressed up.

Got home late afternoon, and Harley of course made it known that 4 days of opening her own tins of tuna just was not on.
So she then followed me the rest of the day, garage, house and back.

The cat does make me laugh.

Once I got the laundry started and had a mug of home made tea......

It was time to get down to the shop and get the Berlingo up in the air and the rear wheels off, followed by the brake hubs.

Getting those barsteward Torx screws out of the rear hubs was a nightmare, thankfully Stuart my neighbour two houses down had a decent Torx bit and used my impact driver and a hammer to unseat the very rusted screws that I had repeatedly wetted down with penetrating oil.

Ultimately this was what came to the fore.

Drivers side brake cylinder leaking, badly.

Needs new shoes and brake cylinders.

I will order the brake parts online tonight and collect tomorrow morning when I go collect the bandsaw I got off Facebook marketplace earlier this week, that friend Paul F went and collected and paid for,for me. Thanks mate.

The biggest challenge may be to get the brake lines undone at the backplate to the Brake cylinders, seems it is a know problem too.

While working on the brakes, I also primed and painted two of the signs Darren at Unit Signs made for me.

When I got back the stickers I had ordered for the sides of the car had arrived as well.

And I took the cars new alloys into the house (my house, my rules)

About three years ago, I bought this Lazy Susan table top piece for silly money, brobably £2.00 form a young couple who,had carried it back from a trip to Australia and yet had never used it.

Pretty much the same here........ till this day.

CLICKY LINKY:
Another 10 yard hand painted finish.

Pretty pleased with this outcome too.

Now just need to get the brake lines loose tomorrow, replace the brake parts and reassemble.

Then of course get the wheels and tyres switched around, may only happen next weekend, but looking forward to it. Along with removing the side trim and replacing with the stickers above.

That's it for tonight.

Thanks for checking in.
Old 03-17-2017, 07:20 PM   #8
realvc

Looking like James Bond in the fancy duds.

Those wheels are pretty cool. You are personalizing your new ride in the "Grizz" way.
Galatians 6:14
62 SWB stepside, 94 Wrangler, 99 Z71, 99 vette

My Project http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=719086
"If it's too loud, you're too old"
realvc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 09:40 PM   #9
Palf70Step
State of Confusion!

That red really pops on those wheels. That little box on wheels is looking real good Rian!

Bill's Gallery
Old 03-19-2017, 05:40 AM   #10
Grizz1963

Quote:
Originally Posted by realvc View Post
Looking like James Bond in the fancy duds.

Those wheels are pretty cool. You are personalizing your new ride in the "Grizz" way.
Thanks Vince.

I am trying to keep it cheap and cheerful.

Quote:
That red really pops on those wheels. That little box on wheels is looking real good Rian!
Makes me happy Bill, and that is probably the most important thing.

Take two.......

Not what I like to do when the iPad deletes a long winded write up just as I want to post it, especially after another bad night not sleeping.

So yesterday I took advantage of Eurocarparts' "Up to 55% St Patric's Day Discount" to buy the rear brake parts I needed, shoes and wheel cylinders. I decided to replace the lot, rather than just one side which some people would do. The passenger side shoes and wheel cylinder are fine, so if someone needs them, collection and a cuppa tea.

Back to the discount, so despite these mostly being predetermined and not really affecting profitability of companies, the counter price for the parts was £79.88 or something like that, while the click and collect price is £54.88 so technically I saved some money, and of course when I got there, the wrong parts had been picked..... oooopps.

What I got for my money.

I had been lubricating the brake line nuts and bleed nipples for a week, as they are known to be a problem.

When I tried to undo them with my normal tools, it became clear that I was headed for a heart ache.
So I popped around to my neighbour a few houses down to see if he had advice, he is a mechanic. Spent 90 minutes chatting to him while he finished off some work and then he grabbed a few tools and came around, open ring spanner, vice grips and not very long......

This lot was ready to be replaced with new parts.

All 6'7" of him crouched in front of the job. I did help a bit.

Copper grease going in everywhere appropriate so next time could be a bit easier.

I had also had to remove the centre console to release the handbrake cables so that I could get them off the rear brake shoes.
This was a good thing as I managed to set it right after my test drive once everything was reassembled.

While I was under the car, I tried to offer up the Corsa Combo towbar I got given, but it was not going to fit.

I noticed the spare wheel condition and decided to replace it with the spare, spare that Laurence had given me when I bought the car.

After cleaning, washing and then prep n prime, I gave it a few coats of satin black and refitted it under the car.

With much light under the car, it became apparent that the bias valve return spring was rusted off and needed replacing as it is an MOT fail if not correctly in place.
So it seems I will be spending another £22.00 on a spring as well.
But it needs to be done.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Citroen-Be...wAAOSwepJXWmtn

Ebay ad for the very overpriced bias valve return spring

Once I had reassembled the wheels, put away my tools etc, I took the car for a drive up to the farm and bedded in the brakes as well as using the handbrake repeatedly to stop or slow down the car.

When I got back home I readjusted the handbrake some more and refitted the centre console etc.

The brakes are now really great and I feel confident to use the car fully in any traffic.

It still makes me smile and as I said to a mate who asked if I would sell it, the. Reply was a definite yes, and I would replace it with another the same.

I really like the simple lines of the Mk1 model, and specifically the Multispace with its rear door that creates such a great overhang.

Lastly, a photo I took yesterday of one of the alloys just put in place on the hub.

I like it and am certainly looking forward to getting the tyres switched over.

Not as far out as it seems.
Old 03-19-2017, 07:41 AM   #11
Palf70Step
State of Confusion!

Bill's Gallery
Old 03-19-2017, 03:02 PM   #12
Grizz1963

Quote:
That's how I felt too.

Mate CraigRK was baby sitting this weekend with his wife out in the Canary Islands getting pampered and eating salad.

I had made good progress with Prozac for the Soul and decided to take in the alloys to and get the tyres to be switched over this morning.

I always use KwikFit in Stroud as they have always treated me well.

While I went there, Craig and his daughter drove over and let themselves in at my place.
The wheels took a bit longer than planned, but I got home by 12.15 and then we had a good time, garage and other stuff.

Sticking the standard 175 tyres on the VTR rims meant a bit of stretch, that actually looks good to me.

Came home via the carwash, weather was a bit dull, but very pleased with the outcome.

We also removed the side strips with the intention to add the checkered stickers down the side but found that it is only red and blank, so I need a strip of white to add under the checkers.

Also found some great repairs under the side trim...... part of the cars history and the signature of a top flight body shop.
It really is quite rough.

Craig left early by 4pm as he had a viewer coming over for his ML that is up for sale.

So I went to the garage later to gloat as I am still pleased with the car and the change appeals to me. Minus side trim and with the wheels.

I am looking forward to the rest of this coming together.

It will certainly be a Marmite car once done, some of you will laugh, some cry and some will outright hate it.

Weekend over again.........

Thanks for looking in.
Old 03-21-2017, 05:22 PM   #13
Grizz1963

Question time.

This has bugged me from day one.

Obviously a replacement unit from a breakers yard. Keep in mind, this is a 16 year old car so the old guy who had it for 15 years must have broken a corner.

Looking at the top of this light unit, drivers side only......

What is the meaning of this hole in the top.

Clearly factory, does not look like there is anything missing, like a cap.

Been away since yesterday morning 07.30 for two days training.

Thankfully they let us go early today as we sacrificed tea time and worked late yesterday.
So on the way home I stopped in at a sign shop in Medway City Estate to get some while vinyl custom cut.

Got home, unpacked, dealt with Harley who was very unimpressed and vocal about me leaving her alone with a tin opener and cans of tuna.

Then down to the garage to start offering up the white strips I had cut.

Wind and cold, late afternoon, meant I only got one side done.

Initial mock up.

Keeping in mind the rear door needs some slight adjustment inward, the outcome was better than expected.

You will also notice that I put a slight rake on the line......

Little by little.
Old 03-25-2017, 05:07 PM   #14
Grizz1963

5 weeks......

And that includes time away from home etc.....

But 5 weeks and the car is pretty much done.

Tailgate needs some more attention.... soon.

Another night of minimal sleep, thanks to a small chainsaw next to me, that had me leaving and seeking cover elsewhere in the early morning hours, followed by feeding Harley by 05.00 and then a cuppa tea by 05.45..... story of my life.

Chainsaw woke at 08.00 and wanted a cuddle.....

As did this bloody thug.

Anyway, eventually I got to starting on what I have been orchestrating to do for a few weeks.

As you guys mostly know, mate Dennis does all the body and paint work on the 13 NASCAR Racing trucks in Mittler Brothers' team.

When I bought the Berlingo, he offered me a load of team sponsors stickers to create the Berlingo as a support vehicle which meant a reasonably cheap way to a lot of fun.

Of course the VTR alloys I had bought were part of the plan from day one, as they actually look like a set of truck wheels in black. The red line adds to this look.

The box of stickers and other gifts landed less than two weeks after I had bought Prozac.

Some of it had to be kept out of sight and a bit secret. So this was the pile of stickers that landed.

Dennis had also asked me for the dimensions of the drivers door on the car.
He then had his signwriting company make me up a set of custom door numbers appropriate in size to the door.

The number 63 is one of Mittler Bros' race numbers, but also my year of birth.......

Perfect.

So today Katy and I worked together to get the car done.

Some of the planning and actions I had to do alone but having the wind still hammering through here, past the house, meant her extra hands and eyes helped a lot.

Once I had laid the checkers, I overlaid the numbers.
Due to the checkers being only 2.0 meters long, but me needing another 200mm of checkers, meant that I needed to harvest some of the blocks from under the numbers where they would not be missed.

Numbers going down over the checkers..... Katy making the difference.

Both sides done........

At this point I was really chuckling a lot.

I was loving the outcomes and where it was headed.

So this is where we stopped and had a coffee break, also had cake, not one but two cakes that Katy had baked.
Victoria Sponge, which I love and Teacake that I had never had before I met this girl.....
Very yummy cake too.

After lunch we were back to part two.

Trust it is not yet Marmite for most.

There is still time.
Old 04-01-2017, 03:28 PM   #15
Grizz1963

My turn to visit Katy this weekend.

I had some jobs to do for her, mostly gardening and yard maintenance.

9 years after being laid...... they had never been cleaned.

Pressure cleaner to the rescue for Katy's front drive and parking area.

Driveway cleaned and resanded as well as a repair on a section that was worked on by the gas company, and subsided after their "repairs."

Rear garden concrete and paving, walkway etc cleaned up as well.

Also planted a butlers sink after embedding some railway sleeper offcuts into the lawn.

Yesterday and today Prozac proved itself worthy.

After redoing the rear brakes and the bias valve return spring, I had him loaded up last night, but today was a tour de force of overloading.

Seven 25kg bags of pea shingle, two 25kg bags of kiln dried sand. 100 litres of topsoil and 50 litres of compost.
Add to that some bricks, plants and a few other bits n bobs meant the brakes were really working well.
The suspension and drive really settles down.
This car works better with a load than it does empty.

I continue to be in love with it.

Prozac for the Soul indeed.

Life is good.
Old 04-09-2017, 07:59 AM   #16
Grizz1963

Sorry guys.......

Quote:
Originally Posted by wraith666 View Post
Well I got 5 pages to go and the links go down. Wasn't a bad way to spend 3 days.

Photophuckit.........

Useless service it seems.

150 photos deleted, by their service it seems, though they say I did....... WTF ??

Certainly was not me.

I am really pee'd off, as I tried to contact them, but cannot get any link to work.

What do I do now??

This is what 6 pages of photo links look like now

Anyone got friends working for Photobucket??

Advice?
Old 04-11-2017, 01:32 PM   #17
Grizz1963

Have emailed what I think is a contact us address for Photobucket I found on about a 7th level of their website.

No reply.

I get the feeli they do not give a hoot about people's photos.

In other news....... Harley.

Currently have two lodgers, one for two weeks, one for three.

On Saturday I do their bedding, well the machine does it and they remove and refit it themselves.

This week, the one, an ex army guy, ultra neat etc, stripped his bedding, and did not close his door completely, when I walked past, I saw this.......

Closer inspection, showed this......

Which meant we had a cat burrito

How the hell did she do this on her own..??

Made me laugh though.

Old 04-16-2017, 03:29 PM   #18
Grizz1963

Bit of almost truck action today.

Bootfair just started, so always on the lookout for stuff I like or want or may even need.

This lot......

Included some healthy plants at £2.50 each for some work I am currently doing in the garden (report some time soon)

Also a large checkered flag.... £1.00

A bass drum pedal and its pedestal for £1.00 This is certainly truck related.......

I want to use the pedal as an accelerator pedal for the truck. I always love the cast ally pedals, but they are silly prices, so plan B comes into play.

I also got a large unopened pack of split pins for £2.00

Also from the same seller a tub of 100 hand cleaner scrubby towel things for £2.00 surely a bargain too.

And a bag of nails for the shed I am building currently, to be reported on some time in the future.

And a nice unused three hook coat hook, key hook for £2.00

Some punches for mate CraigRK at £2.00

And most randomly, a selection of drinking glasses at 20p each, some will be off to friends elesewhere, but I get to keep two, Katy gets one etc.

Prices have certainly gone up at bootfair, and there is less choice stuff, but there is still the odd gem if you take the time to look around.

Another bootfair tomorrow.
Old 04-25-2017, 05:34 PM   #19
Grizz1963

Hoarders

Hoarders I said.......

I blame Prozac the Berlingo

Well, I probably should blame myself.

And the Chevy C10 stood in my garage in 1000 bits.

So when you get your ducks in a row and want to start restoring it.

Suddenly there is a load of stuff on the drive to move.

And piles of stuff in the garage as well.

Why have three lawnmowers ?

One works reasonably-ish

3 bicycles one works

Loads of stuff.

Hoarder ??

Anyway..........

Back to Prozac

When I bought it, mate Andy offered to sell me the VTR alloy wheels I bought off him and on collection also offered me a pile of wood. Mostly 8 foot planks. Some nailed together.
Just in case I wanted to build a shed.

"No thank you" I said, thinking I meant it.

So I took the wheels and left.

But of course as I drove off......

This was the image burned into my conscience.

Tempered with the first flowers of spring.

I really had nowhere to put another shed, those of you that know what my place looks like will know this.

But it kept burning in the back of my mind.

I guess the next is inevitable.

As is the question: " Is anyone interested in this rambling diatribe "

Shed thread here: http://retrorides.proboards.com/thre...-make-overflow

For you those wanting to see what happened next.

Later guys.
Old 04-24-2017, 02:57 AM   #20
Grizz1963

Photophuckitt still at it.

This service sucks like very few things I know of and we are stuck with it while they take our money and have no way of communicating with anyone who actually gives a toss or would affect a change.

In the mean time I thought I would just upload a load of phot s they deleted before, no narrative, just as a second try at keeping a record of what has happened so far.

So Wheels bought from Andy, cleaned at Darren's shop.

Primered.

Painted and a red stipe added.

Spare wheel removed, cleaned and painted.

Off to get alloys swopped over..... that cost me a new tyre and a lot more cash that planned.

New silencer fitted...... 20 minute job, even for me.

Debadged from Citroen.....

Around about the same time I got a parcel from Dennis.

All was not yet revealed........

More photos later when I have time.

Little van also has a bit of a big job ahead this week, possibly moving 6 railway sleepers, or ties from a friends place 20 miles from here for a small project that is going on in the background.

Later guys.
Old 03-21-2017, 05:44 PM   #21
Palf70Step
State of Confusion!

I am thinking a drain from the door seal for water to run thru. I would guess there is another hole/opening near the bottom or where the light or light assembly is.

Start for your stripes/checker thing looks good Rian

Bill's Gallery
Old 03-21-2017, 06:13 PM   #22
flashed

I dont have a clue about the light but Im liking the stripe and wheels .
Old 03-23-2017, 04:31 PM   #23
Grizz1963

Quote:
I am thinking a drain from the door seal for water to run thru. I would guess there is another hole/opening near the bottom or where the light or light assembly is.

Start for your stripes/checker thing looks good Rian
It turns out that the light if off a 2 door van, and it's where the lights and rear wiper harness goes through.

Quote:
I dont have a clue about the light but Im liking the stripe and wheels .
Thanks again John.

Bloody freezing tonight.

After the attack in London yesterday, my boss emailed me last night to say that I should avoid my London bases.

On television this morning it was clear that St Thomas' hospital was really a no go area. Just not to add to the stress that the services were under.

So when I came home from work tonight Mickey came and helped me get the passenger side White vinyl down, then he scarpered as well, saying the cold in the wind was killing him.

After Mickey had left, I trimmed the ends how I wanted them.

Then offered the red checkered strips up with masking tape.

The wind was soooooo not helping.

So I will have to go back to this over the weekend if the weather plays along.

For those who do not read all the words or follow it all, the red checkers came with no white background, so I had to create a base for them, while also closing the holes where I had removed the side trim.

That was tonight's quick bit of therapy.
Old 03-23-2017, 05:34 PM   #24
flashed

That is going to look great .
Old 03-23-2017, 07:00 PM   #25
65sub

Looking good Rian. I like the red stripe wheels
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=655167
65sub is offline   Reply With Quote