The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-18-2021, 12:01 AM   #26
MT65

Re: 66 C10 American Auto Wire kit install ongoing questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by msg View Post
I did notice that the kit doesnt come with a steering column wire set, I guess its ok to use my original?
I almost always am installing a new Flaming River or Ididit column, because yours is designed to replace a stock/original, I would call them on that
MT65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2021, 10:42 AM   #27
roll_the_dice

You are supposed to cut off the OEM steering column harness and repin it with the provided harness plug that mates to the AAW kit. That is what the instructions say...I wish I had purchased a new column harness though in hindsight...but you would still have to cut off and put on the harness plug and terminate the ends. I have not seen a column harness that mates to our trucks from AAW without OEM plugs.
Attached Images

roll_the_dice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2021, 04:28 PM   #28
MT65

Quote:
Originally Posted by MT65 View Post
Not sure what your question is about the starting solenoid wire, it will originate at the starter switch, then go through the neutral safety switch, if you’re running an automatic, then on to the starter .
Gonna send you a picture of my firewall factory bulkhead I used, new terminals and wire, had enough positions to wire all front lights and both fans, needed one small grommet adjacent to the bulkhead for 2 18ga trigger wires. You won’t see much, cause thats the way I wanted it to be. I was once accused of bringing a non-running vehicle to a car show, had to start it for the judges to believe it ran, was asked where are the wires, we can’t see them...thats the look I like...clean simple
Picture tomorrow, in other devices
This is the look I like in my engine compartment, not all will agree, thats just my deal. I used the factory bulkhead and ran my wiring thru it, the will be 3 more wires to come out thru a grommet behind the engine, water temp, ground and mechanical oil pressure line...
Attached Images

Old 01-18-2021, 04:53 PM   #29
msg

That is very nice, thanks for the pics. Concealing all that stuff on the radiator panel looks very clean. I have been wondering where I will be mounting all that mega fuse stuff in the AAW box. That is the AAW kit right?
Old 01-18-2021, 04:59 PM   #30
msg

Quote:
Originally Posted by roll_the_dice View Post
You are supposed to cut off the OEM steering column harness and repin it with the provided harness plug that mates to the AAW kit. That is what the instructions say...I wish I had purchased a new column harness though in hindsight...but you would still have to cut off and put on the harness plug and terminate the ends. I have not seen a column harness that mates to our trucks from AAW without OEM plugs.
Thanks RTD, I did call AAW and asked about the harness and they recommended this one

https://www.americanautowire.com/sho...al-switch-5860

But I asked if the light bulb for the shift indicator would be retrofitted from the old one I have to that one and he was not sure. I sent pics of what I have as an example but I don't know if it will work or not..haven't heard back yet.

It looks like I just need to add the grey wire like mine has..only with a better wire and reuse the metal housing. Should work I think.
Attached Images

Last edited by msg; 01-18-2021 at 05:04 PM.
msg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2021, 07:34 PM   #31
roll_the_dice

Looks like there is a splice on the black wire in the last picture? If it is, I would replace it. I didn't replace mine and now I am having a small issue with my brake lights that I have traced back to turn signal switch. So I am going to take mine apart tomorrow/this week and see if I need to replace it.
roll_the_dice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2021, 08:27 PM   #32
msg

Yeah that wire was taped because for some reason the wire casing was scraped back and not looking good. Im so glad I am rewiring this thing and sure hope i get it right. There was one wire on the harness that was connected to the steering column bracket on the right side. Just melted the casing completely, never knew that was like that.

Ill be ordering that switch from AAW soon, I assume they would have a grey wire or I may have extra that I can run that light housing they dont show in the pic.
Attached Images

Old 01-18-2021, 08:54 PM   #33
MT65

Quote:
That is very nice, thanks for the pics. Concealing all that stuff on the radiator panel looks very clean. I have been wondering where I will be mounting all that mega fuse stuff in the AAW box. That is the AAW kit right?
Yes, its a Hwy 22, I had it in stock so just went with it. The mega will be way more than you need amps wise, I always drop the fuse to a 100 amp unit, I’m not trying to run my welder off the harness, have had several conversations with AAW about that, they tell me I’m overprotective with my fuse choice. I’ll send a picture of the panel mount. I’m running two megas, one for the harness and one to protect the ecu, its an LS conversion.
Attached Images

Old 01-23-2021, 05:59 PM   #34
msg

Glad you know what you are doing MT65, Im doing my best. I ran into another head scratcher today when I opened up the courtesy lamp bag in the kit and saw 2 lamps for the floor I guess. I thought the kit would replace the overhead in the cab so now I am looking to see what I have to do now. I guess lights in the floorboard would be nice but I really was wanting to replace the overhead (well behind the head) light in the cab.
Old 01-23-2021, 06:50 PM   #35
nsb29

Quote:
Glad you know what you are doing MT65, Im doing my best. I ran into another head scratcher today when I opened up the courtesy lamp bag in the kit and saw 2 lamps for the floor I guess. I thought the kit would replace the overhead in the cab so now I am looking to see what I have to do now. I guess lights in the floorboard would be nice but I really was wanting to replace the overhead (well behind the head) light in the cab.
Your kit comes with new wiring for original cab light but you have to replace or use your existing one The two under the dash are optional you can use them or not
Old 01-23-2021, 07:06 PM   #36
msg

I do see the end wire clips and the plastic connector but I didnt see any wires other than those on the under the dash lights. Should there have been? And also new clips for the bulb to the wire connections?
Attached Images

Old 01-23-2021, 07:18 PM   #37
msg

My mistake, its in the bag M, rear body. Sorry.
Old 01-24-2021, 12:28 AM   #38
MT65

Thumbs up Re: 66 C10 American Auto Wire kit install ongoing questions

Quote:
I do see the end wire clips and the plastic connector but I didnt see any wires other than those on the under the dash lights. Should there have been? And also new clips for the bulb to the wire connections?
The overhead cab light is not included in the kit, you can get that thru several suppliers,the wiring is there however...the orange is the hot/power wire, the white is the ground...it can all be tied together with the under dash lights in your picture, the power will feed off the panel, and all the lights are activated by the ground. My truck and I’m sure others did not have door jamb switches, therefore you control the lights by turning the knob on the headlight switch...unless you install a set of door jamb switches. I’ll take a picture of what I did n get it to you tomorrow...
Mainly, just have a lot of patience, it will payoff big time, and make NOTES, you have a better memory than I if you can remember your layout two weeks down the road, you may want another circuit somewhere or a possible future circuit, just plan ahead.......
Old 01-24-2021, 03:20 PM   #39
MT65

Quote:
The overhead cab light is not included in the kit, you can get that thru several suppliers,the wiring is there however...the orange is the hot/power wire, the white is the ground...it can all be tied together with the under dash lights in your picture, the power will feed off the panel, and all the lights are activated by the ground. My truck and I’m sure others did not have door jamb switches, therefore you control the lights by turning the knob on the headlight switch...unless you install a set of door jamb switches. I’ll take a picture of what I did n get it to you tomorrow...
Mainly, just have a lot of patience, it will payoff big time, and make NOTES, you have a better memory than I if you can remember your layout two weeks down the road, you may want another circuit somewhere or a possible future circuit, just plan ahead.......
This is my rendition of a factory door jamb switch...now if you want to control if your interior lights come on, if you’re doing something and need a door open, simply put a switch in the power feed wire such that you can shut the power off to this circuit.....
Attached Images

Old 01-24-2021, 04:34 PM   #40
nsb29

Quote:
This is my rendition of a factory door jamb switch...now if you want to control if your interior lights come on, if you’re doing something and need a door open, simply put a switch in the power feed wire such that you can shut the power off to this circuit.....
The previous owner of my truck had installed these door switches but cannot figure out how he got the wire out of the door pillar can you explain how are you ran your wire
Old 01-24-2021, 08:28 PM   #41
MT65

Quote:
Originally Posted by nsb29 View Post
The previous owner of my truck had installed these door switches but cannot figure out how he got the wire out of the door pillar can you explain how are you ran your wire
I just took a certified guesstimate as to the elevation of the access hole I drilled under the dash, one side was double wall before the cavity where the switch is located, I fished my wire through these access holes(grommeted), and finished my circuit under the dash, there are probably other ways, this worked fine for my application...