The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Electrical > Truck Audio

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-06-2006, 08:04 PM   #1
kna4977

How can I get my factory AM/FM radio to work?

When I got my truck, the radio that was in it was a factory AM radio. It would light up, but there was no sound. I had to take it out to work on the A/C, and when I put it back in, I was unable to plug the radio connector back in correctly, and therefore it didn't light up like before. I bought a factory AM/FM radio and installed it. I did a circuit test with a test light, and there is current at the fusebox and at the red wire that connects to the back of the radio. However, it does not light up, and there is no sound whatsoever coming from the speakers. Also, when I turn the radio on with the switch in acc or on and the interior lights are on, the lights dim, which makes me think the radio is trying to work. Any ideas on how I can begin to tackle this issue?

Last edited by kna4977; 12-06-2006 at 08:09 PM.
kna4977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2006, 12:41 AM   #2
72GMCburban

Re: How can I get my factory AM/FM radio to work?

my first thought is to eliminate the obvious. Check the speaker(s) make sure they are functioning. Once you have eliminated that, then u should hear something and that always make one feel better when trying to fix a radio issue Next, where is the ground? Is it a good ground? Sounds... like a grounding out issue on the dimming, or too much draw on a specific circuit. I would test the radio out of the truck, test the speaker with a working unit, then if both work turn your attention to the wiring. If all else fails, rewire your own power and grounds.
72GMCburban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2006, 09:21 AM   #3
kna4977

Please keep in mind that I'm an idiot when it comes to electronics. With that in mind, how do I test the speaker? Also, there appear to be 2 grounds for the radio. One is from the frame to the right front fender well and the other is from the dash to toe panel. I can't find the one from the dash to toe panel, and the one under the hood has never been hooked up. I assume that I need to run my own ground. How would I do this? Do I just ground the radio case to the dash?
kna4977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2006, 11:39 PM   #4
Brad
Out of the carpool lane.

One way to test a speaker is by hooking it up to another stereo. Another way is to use a 9volt battery and hook up + to + and - to -. It should push out if working and should only be scratchy when connecting.

You can ground the speakers to the radio and the radio to a good solid ground. Use sandpaper or a small file to clear any paint of rust away.

1968 C-10 SWB, 5.7 Vortec/700R4/3.73 posi, Torch Red
1968 Camaro, 250/Powerglide, all original (No, I'm not gonna drop a 350 in it!...Jeez!)
2000 Honda VFR in the faster yellow!
2008 Husqvarna TE-610

1967 C-10 SWB 'Six Appeal'-Gone but not forgotten...

Brad is offline   Reply With Quote