The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-03-2016, 02:17 PM   #1
billetproofcustoms

TO RESTORE OR NOT !!...??? need opinions

OK guys,

I have a 66 short wide, big back window, deluxe trim, aluminum grille, factory air truck that has more or less not been touched, let me explain..

the truck is (mostly) all original, 95% rust free. the only things on it that aren't original are the hubcaps, 1 headlight bezel, the bed wood, the current seat cover, and not surprisingly, engine belts, hoses, etc.. the big one that gets me is the fact that unfortunately, it has been painted once.

otherwise, its all original, so I have been going back and forth as to doing an original restoration? leave as-is? or build something else? would this be considered a survivor? or has it been messed with just enough to warrant making a hot rod, etc out of it?

not planning on selling it it when its done, but if I did, would it be worth more "fixed up"? or leave as-is? or restore?

what do you guys think?

Sure is pretty as it sits (original) ...mostly
Attached Images

billetproofcustoms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 02:56 PM   #2
canadian_diesel1964

Re: TO RESTORE OR NOT !!...??? need opinions

Damn nice truck...of the likes we don't see here in Canada...if it were me I'd driver as is and get something else to rod out...it's a beauty
canadian_diesel1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 03:04 PM   #3
TJ's Chevy
Post Whore

I'd be leaving it stock. What engine?
TJ's Chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 03:24 PM   #4
chevy_mike
Never Ending Projects

My personal opinion is do with it what YOU want to do. Don't worry about the selling it part as someone will only pay what they think it is worth. For some a bone stock truck is worth more than one that is hot rodded up. Others look at stock trucks as low value since they will want to put lots of new stuff on it (disc brakes, A/C, etc., etc.).

As far as I am concerned, any vehicle that has been repainted is no longer a survivor. A survivor to me is one that has most all it's original parts or only wear items have been replace with as close to factory as possible. In any case it needs to have it's original paint. Paint is not a wear item (if taken care of). I am sure others have their own opinion on what a survivor is. In your case I see this as a stock truck but not a survivor.

In the end, do what makes YOU happy.
1965 Chevy C10, Long, Fleetside, Hot Rod C10 http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=415702 SOLD

We were given two ears and one mouth for a reason... listen twice as much and speak half as often...
chevy_mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 03:27 PM   #5
midnight rambler

i have to agree with mike. do what makes you happy. nice truck by the way.
midnight rambler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 03:35 PM   #6
Brad54

If it were ME, starting with that vehicle, I'd probably do a "light" restoration on it--get the trim straighted and polished, replace all the weather stripping, restore the gauges, detail the engine bay, rebuild the suspension... get it to a perfect starting point (which should be pretty easy).
You can probably drive and enjoy it while you're doing that.
Then once you've got it "stock," you can decide if you want to keep it that way, or start hot-rodding it one step at a time... just like someone would have done when the truck was new(ish).

-Brad

There's no cool like Old School
Brad54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 03:41 PM   #7
oem4me

Well, by leaving it alone you're not exactly sparing it from anything it hasn't been through before. Paint, interior, and bedwood are pretty much the key "originality" items that make or break a survivor. Untouched mechanics are indeed a major bonus that come with an unmolested vehicle, but it's the body/sheet metal and cosmetics that really set one apart from others.
I personally would do as little as possible, but that's just me. No sin in doing what makes you happy on this one.
oem4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 04:20 PM   #8
forestb

If you like it the way it is I would keep it the way it is. If you don't like it the way it is, it is not enough of a survivor for it to be a crime if you hot rod it. Don't keep it the way it is if you don't like it the way it is.
forestb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 07:39 PM   #9
Clyde65
1965 Chevy C10, 2005 4.8L/4l60

Do what makes you happy.

On that, a full resto will be upwards of 40k+, if you do some of it. Less if you can do the majority of it. If you did want to sell you might get 50-60% of that cost. If its for sentimental reasons i say do it and enjoy it as long as you can.

Good luck!

Rebuild of Clyde
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...84#post8338184

69 Aristocrat Lo Liner build
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...84#post7561684

support our troops!
Clyde65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 08:59 PM   #10
jocko

As far as value if restored - it would probably sell for more, but not enough to recoup the cost incurred by restoring. So, if you want a restored truck and are ok with the long nights - that's your answer. If you are truly struggling with the decision - I'd hold off - you may not want the work (and will miss enjoying it while you restore it), or you may not want to sink the $ into it. It's VERY nice as is. 59 vette caps on those wheels, fuzzy dice, call it a day... My guess is that the rust is getting to you - and you're concerned it's an original you're redoing. Ignore the barrett Jackson hype - it's been repainted, all bets are off - if that concern is all that is holding you back, rip it apart and make it even better. Real nice truck. Makes me miss 'ol blue....
jocko is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 11:53 PM   #11
billetproofcustoms

it has a 283
Quote:
Originally Posted by TJ's Chevy View Post
I'd be leaving it stock. What engine?
Old 05-04-2016, 12:39 AM   #12
LT1 Burb

Restore, it's much harder then rodding and with a truck that complete, your most of the way there.
LT1 Burb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 09:19 AM   #13
YOLO
Custom Truck Lover!

Do what makes YOU happy. It is a nice truck either way. Just drive it and figure it out as you go.
Old 05-04-2016, 01:15 PM   #14
andyh1956

If you keep the truck then your driving habits will guide you as to what modifications if any will need to be done. Will you just drive it on the back streets to Wal-Mart & the Bar B Q joint? Or do you want to drive it & the family to another town to the movies? Then it will need an o/d transmission & a/c. And a 283 w/ no o/d will get you killed out on the freeway...
andyh1956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 01:48 PM   #15
billetproofcustoms

Yeah, I totally agree with that, It's going to be mostly a "me" truck, not room for my family, (I have 3 young kids), so I doubt it will see the highway, etc, but yeah the 2 sp powerglide it has in it would be scary on the highway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyh1956 View Post
If you keep the truck then your driving habits will guide you as to what modifications if any will need to be done. Will you just drive it on the back streets to Wal-Mart & the Bar B Q joint? Or do you want to drive it & the family to another town to the movies? Then it will need an o/d transmission & a/c. And a 283 w/ no o/d will get you killed out on the freeway...
Old 05-04-2016, 03:07 PM   #16
padresag

Quote:
Originally Posted by billetproofcustoms View Post
Yeah, I totally agree with that, It's going to be mostly a "me" truck, not room for my family, (I have 3 young kids), so I doubt it will see the highway, etc, but yeah the 2 sp powerglide it has in it would be scary on the highway.
that depends on what the rear axle ratio is now. it may be quite adequate
ron
padresag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 04:23 PM   #17
gabbin

I'd say resto-mod it, it has a great start, and you can go either which way that makes you smile. Also, Resto-mod will be cool at anywhere and at any event, and if you wanna sell it, no biggie, and the cost wont be to bad on you.
gabbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 04:54 PM   #18
AnotherWs6

Quote:
Originally Posted by billetproofcustoms View Post
No it wouldn't - unless there is a large gear in the rear. A P/G is 1:1 in 2nd, same as a th350/400 is in 3rd. If it's got a 3.08 rear end he can cruise at 70mph all day long. I do.
2010 Cadillac CTS Wagon Sport - Wife's DD and the only classy car we have.
AnotherWs6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 05:45 PM   #19
Slow Build

If it were mine I would leave it mostly as is. The only thing I would do is bolt on suspension mods to lower it a little bit. It could always be returned to stock if you wanted.
Something like this:
Attached Images

Past GM Trucks:
1959 GMC short stepside
1968 GMC short stepside-4x4
1973 Chevy short stepside
1989 Chevy short fleetside-reg cab
1993 Chevy short fleetside-Xcab
2002 Chevy short fleetside-Xcab

Save the dinosaurs, use synthetic oil.
Slow Build is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 01:42 AM   #20
60sIron

As someone posted earlier. Do want you want. It's been painted. The market will always be very strong for "original" well maintained classic's. Key is original. It's a beautiful truck, have fun with it!
60sIron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 08:27 AM   #21
corvettejim1968

i would leave it for the most part if it was mine. find some original hub caps...paint behind the grille satin black (like factory) and paint the band around the grille white (like factory) stuff like that. can we see more pics like interior and engine.
https://coolc10.com/
corvettejim1968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 12:22 PM   #22
C/10 King

Quote:
Originally Posted by corvettejim1968 View Post
i would leave it for the most part if it was mine. find some original hub caps...paint behind the grille satin black (like factory) and paint the band around the grille white (like factory) stuff like that. can we see more pics like interior and engine.
X2.... This is pretty much what I would do, or even a early type chevelle cap instead .... plus a slight lowering would look nice too.
1971 Short Fleet
1970 Jimmy Custom 2 WD "Golden Ticket"
1972 Blazer 2 WD "Retro Blaze"
C/10 King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2016, 09:36 AM   #23
billetproofcustoms

thanks for all the help guys, I think I have decided to go the route of, replace what needs to be replaced to get it "mini restored", and drive it. since this pic was taken, I have already restored the instrument cluster, replaced a couple of key wiring harnesses that were incredibly molested, and I have done the black insert in the grille with the white border around the grille as it came from the factory, after seeing this pic.. looks really classy yet great mix of custom look and stock all in 1. This is pretty much where my truck is now, just need to lower it a bit.

I will send some pics of my progress soon.

thanks guys!

Quote:
Originally Posted by C/10 King View Post
X2.... This is pretty much what I would do, or even a early type chevelle cap instead .... plus a slight lowering would look nice too.
Attached Images

Old 05-06-2016, 09:38 AM   #24
billetproofcustoms

@SlowBuild, do you know who owns this truck? forum member? thanks for the inspirational picture, just beautiful..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slow Build View Post
If it were mine I would leave it mostly as is. The only thing I would do is bolt on suspension mods to lower it a little bit. It could always be returned to stock if you wanted.
Something like this:
Old 05-06-2016, 11:52 AM   #25
65 C20

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyh1956 View Post
I have a 283 with the 4 speed, 3.73 rear end, no a/c and I can drive on the freeway all day.
65 C20 is offline   Reply With Quote