The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-18-2010, 08:25 PM   #1
turner15

Dash recover

anyone ever recover their own dash. I've done it with limited success. Looking for a good material supplier. Anyone know of a place? Probably a good youtube video on how to do it with the heat gun.
turner15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 03:29 PM   #2
Blue'72
Skinned knuckles

Re: Dash recover

Hi Turner, I came across this in a search and thought I'd reply with my dash that I just recovered. It's not nearly as professional as a job done by Stitch, but I wanted to try it and see how it worked. Here's what I did.

Instead of fixing my pad which was really far gone, I found a decent pad on CL for $15 and filled the two small cracks with window caulking after cutting back anything that was starting to curl. It may come back to haunt me, but I decided not to go with fiberglass..

I started with one pc of vinyl, or actually it's more of a pleather, and brushed on contact cement on the top of the pad in the vent area and on the material. Once the cement set up, I adhered the material to the dash and rubbed it on until it was good and stuck making sure that all curves and indentions were stuck as well.

I let that set overnight and after the glue dried completely the material was on there permanently. I then continued the process moving forward and using a heat gun on the areas the material needed to really stretch, working out the creases and folds to make them disappear. As seen in the pic below, I need to work on it some more to make it all smooth.

The area next to the gauge bezel was the most difficult and I had to form some styrofoam and hold that down with a block of wood and my c-clamp vise grips. I thought it was a lost cause until the next morning when I noticed that it had adhered nicely and was certain that it wasn’t going to come apart.

I would really like to redo this one now that I have a better idea of what I’m doing and I think it would turn out much better, but for my first shot at it, I am pretty happy with it. I also repainted the dash insert from faded wood grain look to black and painted the faded yellow on the emblem to red. I’m anxious to see what I can do to the door panels and headliner with this material too!

Name:  dash2.jpg
Views: 469
Size:  23.7 KB

Name:  dash1.jpg
Views: 479
Size:  39.1 KB
'01 Ranger (I've gotta long commute..)
If you try to fail, and succeed, which have you done?

My build thread - http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=276904
Blue'72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 05:12 PM   #3
eightyfive

That turned out really good Blue72! no just paint the yellow either white or black and it would look amazing
"New" Hot rod 1999 Chevy silverado 5.3L
^^^
Workin my way up the food chain
eightyfive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 05:43 PM   #4
Stitch
Account Suspended

That looks really good for someone that's never done it before. And honestly the only thing my cover has over the vinyl that you out on there is that it is cut and sewn to fit the dash so the vinyl lays down nice without having to stretch the fool out of it or make folds in the vinyl. That's all really.

Yours looks good though. I'm sure the door panels and headliner will turn out just as nice.
Posted via Mobile Device
Stitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 07:22 PM   #5
blazer2007

is that just ordinary cement used for counter top laminates
blazer2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 07:26 PM   #6
misternash2

i think the bumper black you can find at oreillys looks really nice on my dash. its a semi-satin and finishes out great.
misternash2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 10:37 AM   #7
Pop's C-10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue'72 View Post
Hi Turner, I came across this in a search and thought I'd reply with my dash that I just recovered. It's not nearly as professional as a job done by Stitch, but I wanted to try it and see how it worked. Here's what I did.

Instead of fixing my pad which was really far gone, I found a decent pad on CL for $15 and filled the two small cracks with window caulking after cutting back anything that was starting to curl. It may come back to haunt me, but I decided not to go with fiberglass..

I started with one pc of vinyl, or actually it's more of a pleather, and brushed on contact cement on the top of the pad in the vent area and on the material. Once the cement set up, I adhered the material to the dash and rubbed it on until it was good and stuck making sure that all curves and indentions were stuck as well.

I let that set overnight and after the glue dried completely the material was on there permanently. I then continued the process moving forward and using a heat gun on the areas the material needed to really stretch, working out the creases and folds to make them disappear. As seen in the pic below, I need to work on it some more to make it all smooth.

The area next to the gauge bezel was the most difficult and I had to form some styrofoam and hold that down with a block of wood and my c-clamp vise grips. I thought it was a lost cause until the next morning when I noticed that it had adhered nicely and was certain that it wasn’t going to come apart.

I would really like to redo this one now that I have a better idea of what I’m doing and I think it would turn out much better, but for my first shot at it, I am pretty happy with it. I also repainted the dash insert from faded wood grain look to black and painted the faded yellow on the emblem to red. I’m anxious to see what I can do to the door panels and headliner with this material too!

Attachment 699324

Attachment 699325
That looks good
Pop's C-10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 10:49 AM   #8
Blue'72
Skinned knuckles

Thanks all!

I did the cement like you'd use on laminate countertops blazer. We'll have to see how it holds up.

Stitch, that means a lot, thanks! I'm sure someday I'll go the route I originally wanted to go and go with one of yours though. This did stretch really thin and doesn't look nearly as nice..

Old 02-16-2011, 02:20 PM   #9
Blue'72
Skinned knuckles

I'm just about finished with one door panel. I thought you might want to see it.. I should start a build thread!

Name:  dr pnl.jpg
Views: 322
Size:  29.9 KB

Old 02-16-2011, 03:40 PM   #10
87 chevy silverado
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue'72 View Post
I should start a build thread!

Attachment 700438
you should looks goood
87 chevy silverado is offline   Reply With Quote