The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-14-2011, 01:44 PM   #1
DriverDown

Corbeau

I'm contemplating going with the Corbea Sport Seat without the headrest since it's available uncovered and seems to have application-specific seat brackets available. Has anyone put these in or seem them installed, preferably with the factory center console... opinions on the seats or brackets? Even better, any good pictures?
DriverDown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 03:07 PM   #2
tucsonjwt

Re: Corbeau

I have not had Corbeau seats but I have had base model Recaro seats which are very similar (though Corbeau is regarded as a lesser quality Recaro is sports car circles.) The Recaro seats were the best I ever had, but I would buy Corbeau seats if I could "test sit" them before purchase. If you search the internet you can find suppliers for Corbeau seats at discounted prices. Recaro seats are rarely discounted, but you can find used seats on Ebay or CL from time to time. If I did my seats again, I would get the seats out of a late 90s Chrysler Sebring convertible and take the console with it, then salvage the remainder of the Sebring. You get integral seat belts with the Sebring seats, and also have integral seat belts in early 2000s Silverado/Sierra pickups.
tucsonjwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 11:56 AM   #3
DriverDown

Quote:
Originally Posted by tucsonjwt View Post
I have not had Corbeau seats but I have had base model Recaro seats which are very similar (though Corbeau is regarded as a lesser quality Recaro is sports car circles.) The Recaro seats were the best I ever had, but I would buy Corbeau seats if I could "test sit" them before purchase. If you search the internet you can find suppliers for Corbeau seats at discounted prices. Recaro seats are rarely discounted, but you can find used seats on Ebay or CL from time to time. If I did my seats again, I would get the seats out of a late 90s Chrysler Sebring convertible and take the console with it, then salvage the remainder of the Sebring. You get integral seat belts with the Sebring seats, and also have integral seat belts in early 2000s Silverado/Sierra pickups.
Thanks for the ideas - I'm honestly a little surprised that more people haven't tried these seats. They look good (to me), and there looks to be a bracket made specifically for our trucks...
Old 02-16-2011, 12:03 AM   #4
TheWhiteElephant
God is good!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DriverDown View Post
I'm contemplating going with the Corbea Sport Seat without the headrest since it's available uncovered and seems to have application-specific seat brackets available. Has anyone put these in or seem them installed, preferably with the factory center console... opinions on the seats or brackets? Even better, any good pictures?
I can't vouch for the sport seats, but I bought some Baja Ultras in a '79 Blazer along with their brackets. The seats were very well made, but I would never buy them again. WAY too small for my rear, and I wasn't a huge guy (190lbs, close to 6ft) at the time. But again, I've never tried the Sport seats. Quality of the seats is top notch, though.

The brackets on the other hand really sucked. I ordered them make and model specific, and they DID NOT fit the seats. I contacted them and they agreed to send me some spacers. The "spacers" were actually a small bag of washers(!)

But that was only my experience from about 6+ years ago.

"It takes a smart man to know when he's stupid." -- Barney Rubble

My build thread: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=430367
TheWhiteElephant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 09:47 AM   #5
tucsonjwt

Corbeau, and the similar Recaro, seats are narrower than a standard seat. They are designed for sports/compact cars. This is why I recommend a test sit.
They do hold you in place much better than a standard seat, due to firm side bolsters and a more form fitted seat. This actually provides better support for your body, but if you are used to a more cushy American style seat you may have a hard time getting used to it. I am 6' - 2" and 210 lbs. + and found the Recaro seats to be more comfortable than any stock seat, but I prefer a firmer seat in all cases. I think the Sebring convertible seats might be a nice compromise, since they are about the same size with softer cushioning and minimal side bolsters - and should be much cheaper.
Old 02-16-2011, 12:56 PM   #6
DriverDown

Regarding the brackets, did they fit the floor of the truck without a lot of hassle or customizing?

Unfortunately, I've called around and just can't find anyone local who has these seats in stock to sit in...

I did finally find some pictures of what I believe to be the Sport Seats and brackets installed in our trucks - they look good, just what I'm going for, and appear to be wide enough for my fat ass with some room for some spillover on the bolsters, but maybe I should order the Sport Seat wide just to be on the safe side (assuming it'll still fit). Take a look over at 73-87.com:

Interior Installation
Old 02-16-2011, 01:08 PM   #7
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

If your going to by them, you better try them. Those are love or hate type seats due to the way the "hug" your body. I suggest getting them covered already. Its much cheaper to match your truck to your seats than have those covered.

Articles-

"Jake" the 84 to 74 crewcab

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"
N2TRUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 01:11 PM   #8
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

I just looked at the cost to buy them covered. Its only 48.00 more than uncovered. There is no way you are going to get those covered for that amount. If you want a custom color, see if they will allow you to provide materials.

Articles-

"Jake" the 84 to 74 crewcab

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"
Old 02-16-2011, 02:26 PM   #9
engineco713

Quote:
Wonder how mad the wife would be if she went to get in her car and her Sebring seats were in my square?????? lol

Last edited by engineco713; 02-16-2011 at 02:27 PM.
engineco713 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 02:55 PM   #10
DriverDown

Quote:
Originally Posted by N2TRUX View Post
If your going to by them, you better try them. Those are love or hate type seats due to the way the "hug" your body. I suggest getting them covered already. Its much cheaper to match your truck to your seats than have those covered.
I agree, but with nothing in stock in the whole city, and not knowing anyone with the seats, I just don't know what I can do...
Old 02-16-2011, 03:00 PM   #11
DriverDown

Quote:
Originally Posted by N2TRUX View Post
I just looked at the cost to buy them covered. Its only 48.00 more than uncovered. There is no way you are going to get those covered for that amount. If you want a custom color, see if they will allow you to provide materials.

Where are you looking? This is what I'm seeing:

Uncovered: $229.00
Uncovered Wide: $264.00
Cloth: $320.00
Vinyl: $320.00
Vinyl/Cloth: $320.00
Wide: $368.00

I called and asked them what it would run if I provided the materials since they don't offer a tan and I was quoted $628 per seat. Quite a bit more than the tad over the covered cost I was hoping for, and I'd still have to pay for the material. Rough estimate from a couple of shops around here was something like $190-200 per seat for tweed and a bit more for vinyl or more still for leather, so I'd still be way ahead of the cost direct from Corbeau. Even if it ended up the same cost, at least it'd be a local guy doing the work.
Old 02-16-2011, 03:02 PM   #12
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

Just make sure your local guy does quality work. Those are not easy to cover.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-16-2011, 04:04 PM   #13
tucsonjwt

Quote:
Originally Posted by engineco713 View Post
Wonder how mad the wife would be if she went to get in her car and her Sebring seats were in my square?????? lol
Considering that you have a Sebring in the family, can you provide any input on how comfortable the seats are? (assuming that your wife has the convertible integral seat belt style.)
Old 02-16-2011, 04:09 PM   #14
tucsonjwt

I had my Recaro seats recovered in leather I bought from Hirsch (they advertise in Hemmings Motor News). That was many years ago, but the quality was good and I think it was about $140 for the hides with some material left over.
Old 02-16-2011, 04:37 PM   #15
engineco713

Quote:
Considering that you have a Sebring in the family, can you provide any input on how comfortable the seats are? (assuming that your wife has the convertible integral seat belt style.)
I think they are pretty comfortable and I'm a pretty big guy (6'0" 285lbs). Yes, they have the integral seatbelts and are power seats. We have only taken it on long trips a couple times but have never had a problem. She's 5'2" 135ish with the baby on board and we can both drive/ride while wearing the seat belt's and be comfortable on long drives. It's a lot better then the bench in my square now. I know your all probably thinking we must look funny standing next to each other and that dancing can be a challenge sometimes but we work....lol.

Last edited by engineco713; 02-16-2011 at 04:44 PM.
Old 02-16-2011, 05:00 PM   #16
tucsonjwt

Thanks for the feedback on the Sebring seats. Can you post a pic or two so everyone can get an idea on how they look?
Old 02-16-2011, 09:27 PM   #17
engineco713

Yes, I can tomorrow afternoon. She's working at the hospital tonight. Maybe I can even get her to clean it out a bit before the pic but I doubt it....lol.
Old 02-16-2011, 09:29 PM   #18
engineco713

I found a set on the net that were put in a corvair......the wife's car has a black interior. If you still want pic's of hers let me know.
Attached Images

Last edited by engineco713; 02-16-2011 at 09:30 PM.
Old 02-16-2011, 10:15 PM   #19
tucsonjwt

Yes, please. A shot of how they sit in the original Sebring with the console would be nice.
Old 02-16-2011, 10:16 PM   #20
DriverDown

Quote:
Originally Posted by engineco713 View Post
I found a set on the net that were put in a corvair......the wife's car has a black interior. If you still want pic's of hers let me know.
Those look really nice with the custom upholstery... now if only they were done in tan and in my truck. I'll need to check the junkyards and craigslist around here and see how they look in person.

Maybe I can live without the low back buckets... maybe.
Old 02-16-2011, 10:27 PM   #21
engineco713

Quote:
Yes, please. A shot of how they sit in the original Sebring with the console would be nice.
ok....will do
Old 02-17-2011, 08:57 AM   #22
tucsonjwt

Sebring convertibles had tan leather and tan cloth, as I recall. Except for the outboard part that contains the seat belt, and the headrests, the seat backs themselves are not really very high. Also, your square is a much taller vehicle, so the seats will not seem as tall. I'll be interested to see what the automotive recycling centers want for used Sebring seats + console now. My coworker paid $1000 years ago, just after Chrysler started using these seats back in the late 90s - of course, they were perfect, leather, all power. You ought to check Auto Trader, Ebay, and CL to see how cheap these old Sebring convertibles are -like $1000-$2000.
Old 02-17-2011, 02:05 PM   #23
engineco713

Here ya go.
Attached Images

Old 02-17-2011, 06:08 PM   #24
tucsonjwt

Nice. Almost too good for an old square. Thanks.
Old 02-17-2011, 06:11 PM   #25
engineco713

No problem.