The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Engine & Drivetrain > Diesel Conversions

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-15-2014, 01:13 PM   #1
jbailly

Duramax or Cummins to replace a 6.2?

Hi guys,
I am looking at buying a 84 K30 with a 6.2 in it. Would you recommend a Cummins or a Duramax? I know everyone is doing Cummins so they must be relatively cheap and somewhat easy to do right? I mean is there some voodoo other than price to keep someone away from putting a Duramax and a Allison out of a 2004 ish GM into an older GM? Anyone tried it? Any idea on prices for both conversions? I know the 6.2 will probably be fine, but I'm not sure how much I like them. THey aren't known to be power houses. Or maybe I should switch it to a gas engine hmm could probably build a nice 454 for about the same price.
Thanks,
Jon
Old 09-16-2014, 03:40 PM   #2
Dieselwrencher
6>8 Plugless........

Re: Duramax or Cummins to replace a 6.2?

Jon, the Duramax will cost more to buy, and the parts are more expensive. If I had no projects and the money, I'd have no problem buying a wrecked Duramax truck and using everything to swap in the 84 K30. You could build a nice 454 for the same money or cheaper, but you'll never get the mileage for the power compared to a Cummins or Duramax. Cost and simplicity is why most people do the Cummins swaps. Keep in mind the 12v cummins are the mechanical ones that are most popular.
1972 Chevy Cheyenne Super K20 Long Step side tilt, tach, tow hooks, AC, 350 4 speed
1972 C10 Suburban Custom Deluxe
1969 Chevy milk truck
1971 Camaro RS 5.3 BTR STG3 Cam Super T10
1940 Ford 354 Hemi 46RH Ford 9" on air ride huge project

Tired of spark plugs? Check this out.
Dieselwrencher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 07:45 AM   #3
jbailly

Thanks Dieselwrencher,
If anyone on this forum knows about diesel conversions it is you I would think. That confirms what I thought about the prospect as well. Now I just have to wait and see if the owner contacts me. So who know there may be a thread about another conversion in the future.
Thanks again,
Jon
Old 09-17-2014, 09:56 PM   #4
ryanroo

I would love to do a Dmax conversion in something. As Ryan mentioned the cost is higher. there are some other pesky things to deal with on the electronic engine vs the mechanical 12v. that wouldnt change my mind about a dmax, but you have to be ready for all the extra stuff. the other issue i could see is that if you are looking to get silly and make powa!, the dmax is going to really start getting expensive. you can make bigger numbers with a ppump cummins for less money than a dmax.

i still want a rowdy dmax

ryanroo is offline   Reply With Quote