The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-18-2011, 03:53 PM   #1
Skip Greaney

Manual Throttle

Anyone have a picture of the correct location for the manual throttle to be located on the dash? Is it a second hole below the wiper knob? I have a hole there, but not sure if it is correct. I have the cable and the name plate just not sure where it should be located as my factory tach dah is no longer in the truck. This is a 1970 1 ton Longhorn CST and the spid label says it came with... 4K31AA Manual Throttle
Skip Greaney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 04:05 PM   #2
pryorstemmed
4wd Enthusiast

Re: Manual Throttle

You are correct, that is the location.

*1970 Olds 442 W-30 M-21 4-speed
*1978 Ford F250 4x4 Ranger-Explorer-Camper Special Marti Report: 1 of 1
*1986 K30 Silverado Crew Cab 502/TH400
*2002 Silverado LT 2500 Duramax Long bed Crew Cab 4x4 107K original miles
*2022 RAM Bighorn 1500 Waldoch edition ...Daily Driver
pryorstemmed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 04:37 PM   #3
Skip Greaney

Thanks, how far does it pull out, and how much does yours raise the idle? Never had this option on any other truck
Old 02-18-2011, 04:51 PM   #4
pryorstemmed
4wd Enthusiast

Not sure, mine was disconnected by a previous owner. I have seen a few trucks on this site with the option, but have never known how it works. I thought it was a screw/twist throttle, not a pull type. Any other members know how it works?
Old 02-18-2011, 04:53 PM   #5
Barney1970 CST

I have a 70 1/2 ton CST and I am wondering what the knob I have in the gauge bezel is. My knob is on left side below the light switch. I will check my SPID and see how mine is listed. The knob looks the same as the other two, but it is on the left and does not have a label above.
Barney1970 CST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 05:07 PM   #6
motornut
78K & 79C Jimmys

thats neat would/could it be used as a choke?
another member posted these but i'm thinking are from a newer truck
Attached Images

motornut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 05:08 PM   #7
pryorstemmed
4wd Enthusiast

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...anual+throttle

Here is a link
Old 02-18-2011, 05:30 PM   #8
brad_man_72
the boat guy

I have a 67 my throttle is on the lower right below the choke. It does twist out but mine requires a little pulling and messing with the gas pedal to get it set. I've neer seen how far it would go but I came out of the house to it being set at 3000rpms once. Great for mellting the snow off of the windshield.
66, stevens drag/ski 18' silouette, 350, 2.02 doublehump heads. comp extreme marine 278 cam, vette 7 fin valve covers, old polished edelbrock intake, velvetdrive, casale v-drive, adj cavitation plate.
28, model a rpu project,
brad_man_72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 06:10 PM   #9
Skip Greaney

There is a cable hanging down under the dash that looks to be screw type and one I purchased that is pull type with the "throttle" tag on it which was difficult to find. Any idea which one is correct for a "70 Longhorn? Since I have to acquire a Tach dash I want it to be correct for the year!
Old 02-18-2011, 07:01 PM   #10
Steve Hafner

I have 40 different pictures saved of other truck's manual throttles - 27 are on the LEFT side, under the headlight switch and 13 are on the right, under the wiper. ( most of these were listed on the SPID ) but, some of EACH kind were not listed on the SPID. I've always wondered if they were installed both ways by the factory AND both ways by the dealer.
Attached Images

Life is short . . . we only have, right now.

. . . .

My 70 C-10's BUILD THREAD: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=475526

Last edited by Steve Hafner; 02-18-2011 at 07:30 PM.
Steve Hafner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 07:07 PM   #11
Skip Greaney

Interesting! I wonder if it was model year specific
Old 02-18-2011, 07:17 PM   #12
Steve Hafner

I just checked my 40 pictures again and ALL are on the left ( except for one 67, which is on the right, under the choke ) until 1971, where they are mixed. I guess the dealer could have done WHATEVER THEY WANTED !!!! ( my 70 didn't come with one and the one I bought for it has been put on the left - so it can be seen !!! )

Last edited by Steve Hafner; 09-21-2013 at 07:44 AM.
Steve Hafner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 07:24 PM   #13
67chevy1series

my dad said back in the day when these trucks came out they would jack up the truck in the rear and take the tire off and hook a belt to the brake and then to the irrigation pump and then they would pull the manual throttle and let it sit for 3 or 4 hours come back and put it back to gether and drive off with a fully watered field kinda cool but what if the truck jumps off the jack?
67chevy1series is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 02:53 PM   #14
Nomadicflyer

Zombie Thread. Sorry for bringing this back from the dead, but.....

What's the consensus? Are most of you leaving the manual throttle on the dash, or using that spot for something else? I'm wrapping up a wiring harness and paint on my C20, and it has the manual throttle on the right side, below the headlight switch. It's on the SPID.

Just curious. It's worn out, doesn't really work. I'll bet it's been pulled out a few too many times, instead of twisted like a vernier is supposed to be.

Cheers!
Old 03-13-2017, 04:31 PM   #15
'68OrangeSunshine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomadicflyer View Post
Zombie Thread. Sorry for bringing this back from the dead, but.....

What's the consensus? Are most of you leaving the manual throttle on the dash, or using that spot for something else? I'm wrapping up a wiring harness and paint on my C20, and it has the manual throttle on the right side, below the headlight switch. It's on the SPID.

Just curious. It's worn out, doesn't really work. I'll bet it's been pulled out a few too many times, instead of twisted like a vernier is supposed to be.

Cheers!
But the Headlight Switch is always on the left.
There were 2 styles of dash switch placement: Early [67-68] and Late [69-72]. Early style, the Wiper Switch is on the left, and the Lights is under it. A choke is on the right. A Throttle knob would be under the Choke.
Late style, Choke was mostly deleted [due to automatic choke on most Qjets] so Wipers moved over to right. A Throttle could go on either side, especially if a dealer add-on. A dealership mech would not waste time rerouting the wipers back to the Early position, he'd only have time to put it in the easiest spot for his install.
On the right would be best for a right-handed owner/operator, since [I believe] there is some finesse involved with setting the engine RPMs [never done it myself]. On the left might be easier for the dealer tech -- nothing to else to move. Might be good for a southpawed owner, too. If the cable is long enough.

I have a Throttle knob, tag, and cable I pulled from a junkyard truck. I used it for a while as a choke cable until I got a proper replacement choke knob and cable from a vendor. I wanted to install it on my '71 Jimmy, after adding a choke set up for my manual-choked Carter AFB, but I never could figure how it was rigged to the gas pedal linkage under the dash.
Also, because the Early trucks had an accelerator linkage that was a stiff rod connecting to the carb, while the Late trucks had a cable pulling on the accelerator linkage on the carb, it follows there are both Early and Late types of throttle cable assemblies.
There was also a special gas pedal bracket to connect the throttle cable to the accelerator pedal.

Every 25 years I like to rebuild that 292, whether it needs it or not.

Last edited by '68OrangeSunshine; 03-13-2017 at 04:50 PM.
'68OrangeSunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 05:13 PM   #16
B. W.

For what it's worth, my 70 K20 is a factory manual throttle (K31 on SPID), it's on the left.
B. W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 06:15 PM   #17
BILT4ME

My father's 68 K20HD had wiper on top left, headlights lower left, Choke top right, and throttle lower right.

The throttle on that truck (originally K20 4 speed, 292) was a "ratcheting" type where you would step on the gas pedal to increase the RPM and pull out the cable a notch at a time until you got it where you wanted it. It could hold it at WOT if you needed it to.

We would put it in low range, 2nd gear and set the throttle, then walk across the hay field while picking up hay bales and throwing them in the back. Leave the window down so you could make steering changes while it drove itself across the field.
We would also do it for dumping hay and feed to the animals in a pasture (when only one person was doing it. Set the throttle, climb out the door and into the bed, scoop out as necessary, then climb back in, all while still moving, slowly of course.

This "early" version was attached directly to the carburetor linkage and wwas an additional cable next to the throttle wire with a cable stop attached to the throttle cable. It was designed to have the stop slide forward and back on the wires during normal use, but the throttle cable would limit the RETURN of the butterfly to the closed position, thus, holding the butterfly open.

To "disengage", basically you had to push hard or "punch" the throttle button to shove it back in. As a kid, I had a hard time pulling it out, but to push it in, I literally punched it with an open hand.

I installed one on my 69 Chevy (non-factory) that I could pull out, twist to the right to lock it, and that was my poor-man's cruise control...........
Old 03-13-2017, 10:34 PM   #18
Nomadicflyer

So interesting!

68, you were right. I was wrong about my headlight switch. Easy to flip in my head, with the panel out. My throttle knob is on the right, below my windshield wiper/washer control. Sorry about that.

Bilt: Now I have to go look at what I have... maybe it's the ratcheting style, after all. I just figured it was a vernier control, not knowing any better.

Thanks all, for the ideas and memories! I find it all very interesting.

I wondered if there was some kind of PTO, like on my 69 jeep. Sounds reasonable, about the field crawl. Also interesting about the post where a rear wheel goes up on a jack, tire comes off and a belt goes on. What a different time we live in, today.
Old 03-14-2017, 01:57 AM   #19
'68OrangeSunshine

Nomad. No sweat. Half the time I don't know my right from my left either. I think I knew what you meant, but since this is [informally] a sort of public record, I wanted to keep it straight. Most of the time in Boot Camp, I had a continual lump on the back of my head where the DI swatted me for turning the wrong way.
Yeah they had PTOs on these trucks, mostly the bigger ones [30,40,50,60] series. A hook type tow truck could operate his hook and winch off them, I guess.

Old 03-14-2017, 02:13 AM   #20
'68OrangeSunshine

Quote:
Originally Posted by B. W. View Post
For what it's worth, my 70 K20 is a factory manual throttle (K31 on SPID), it's on the left.
BW: I'd consider it a favor, if you could shoot a pic of your underdash Throttle hook up, if still operational.

I don't really need Manual Throttle, but on long trips, it could relieve foot/ankle/leg cramps for short spells.

Just not sure if I want it on the left, under the Lights switch [no surgery] or go whole hog, and move the Wipers over to the left and put it above my Choke on the right. Then put a '68 3-Spoke steering wheel on my '71 GMC Jimmy, and conn the gullible that I have an ultra rare [experimental] '68 GMC K/750, Jimmy. Yeah, they only made one of 'em. That's the ticket.

Old 08-26-2022, 03:37 PM   #21
jaybatta

Zombie thread take 2

I'm waiting on parts for my 12 valve swap that has turned into a complete frame up restoration and I'm looking at hooking up my manual throttle to actually work. I know there is a different gas pedal bracket that I'm supposed to bolt somewhere under the dash. The tail end of the short (early) manual throttle cable then threads over the wiper motor and down to the bracket.

What I'm looking for is some pictures of where/how that bracket mounts. Regrettably when I pulled the whole manual throttle off a junkyard rig I neglected to take pictures of how it all went together.

For those that are looking at my cluster and scratching your heads.. its a 69-72 bezel that I added choke and manual throttle to. The tach and air pressure gauge (and 80# oil pressure gauge) came from a C60 medium duty rig. I plan to have on board air and wanted a gauge for it. Maybe someday I'll get it operational. With a diesel engine I'll have to swap out the 5k tach with my 4k tach.

Anyhow thanks for your help

Joe
Attached Images

Semper Fi
jaybatta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2022, 04:20 PM   #22
'68OrangeSunshine

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaybatta View Post
Zombie thread take 2

I'm waiting on parts for my 12 valve swap that has turned into a complete frame up restoration and I'm looking at hooking up my manual throttle to actually work. I know there is a different gas pedal bracket that I'm supposed to bolt somewhere under the dash. The tail end of the short (early) manual throttle cable then threads over the wiper motor and down to the bracket.

What I'm looking for is some pictures of where/how that bracket mounts. Regrettably when I pulled the whole manual throttle off a junkyard rig I neglected to take pictures of how it all went together.

For those that are looking at my cluster and scratching your heads.. its a 69-72 bezel that I added choke and manual throttle to. The tach and air pressure gauge (and 80# oil pressure gauge) came from a C60 medium duty rig. I plan to have on board air and wanted a gauge for it. Maybe someday I'll get it operational. With a diesel engine I'll have to swap out the 5k tach with my 4k tach.

Anyhow thanks for your help

Joe
With a Manual Throttle AND a Suicide Knob -- you are ready for some serious Rock'N'Roll.

Semper Fi
Do or Die...

Last edited by '68OrangeSunshine; 08-26-2022 at 06:40 PM.
Old 08-26-2022, 04:29 PM   #23
jaybatta

Quote:
Originally Posted by '68OrangeSunshine View Post
With a Manual Throttle AND a Suicode Knob -- you are ready for some serious Rock'N'Roll.

Semper Fi
Do or Die...
Hahaha yes sir, sometimes **** gets a little western out here in Montana

Semper fi

Semper Fi
jaybatta is offline   Reply With Quote