The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-16-2015, 02:33 PM   #1
createthis

Question Rear sliding window seal?

Howdy folks,

I've been blocked on my rear sliding window replacement project for a few weeks now. I was wondering if you folks could help me get unstuck.

I accidentally broke the sliding window by using my softtopper as a makeshift hammer. No big deal, I thought, throw some money at it and it'll be fixed in a week. Ha. Not that simple, apparently.

I bought a replacement sliding window and seal from lmctruck.com, then I took it to my local glass shop. They were really hesitant to even talk to me about it. I guess they see this stuff a lot? I dunno. I dropped the truck off and they gave me a call a few hours later saying the seal was too big. I said, "email me a picture and I'll get a replacement from lmctruck." Here's the photo the glass shop sent me:

So, I called lmctruck, sent them the photo via email, and they sent me a replacement. When the replacement arrived, I took a picture and emailed it to the glass shop:

The glass shop said it's still too big. I called lmctruck again, and they told me: "Per our research department the seal should be larger than the glass. Once installed, the rubber will compress into the bodywork and around the glass and will seal correctly. The seal and glass install simultaneously, which can be extremely difficult."

So, my part vendor won't give me another part and my installer won't install what I have.

I asked the installer if they could cut it to size. They said they couldn't. It would leak if they did that.

How should I proceed? Thanks!
Old 10-16-2015, 02:40 PM   #2
truckster

Re: Rear sliding window seal?

It's definitely going to be too big. It's not going to magically shrink into place, either. The seal should be tight on the glass before it goes into the sheet metal.

The glass shop could cut it at a lower corner and use urethane to glue it together, but that might be more work than they want to do.
truckster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2015, 02:45 PM   #3
createthis

Quote:
Originally Posted by truckster View Post
It's definitely going to be too big. It's not going to magically shrink into place, either. The seal should be tight on the glass before it goes into the sheet metal.

The glass shop could cut it at a lower corner and use urethane to glue it together, but that might be more work than they want to do.
Awesome. So, where can I get a seal that'll actually fit then?

Alternatively... I guess I could cut it and glue it myself and supply it to the shop...
Old 10-16-2015, 03:48 PM   #4
truckster

I would think one of the vendors on the board would have the correct seal. Does the seal have a brand name on it (other than LMC)?
Old 10-16-2015, 04:17 PM   #5
cdowns

have you held that slider up to the window spot in the cab to see if in fact it is the proper slider?
71c-10 350/2004r/4:11 lowered3/4 longbed/dead by hurricane

MEANING OF DEATH::::: SOMEBODY ELSE GETS YOUR STUFF

DONT BELIEVE EVERYTHING YOU THINK

TAKE MY ADVISE;I DON'T USE IT ANYWAY
cdowns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2015, 04:58 PM   #6
createthis

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdowns View Post
have you held that slider up to the window spot in the cab to see if in fact it is the proper slider?
I have not personally, but the glass shop said the window was the right size, but the seal was too big.
Old 10-16-2015, 06:07 PM   #7
John Pasinski

I bought my slider from a board member.
I then bought a gasket & chrome trim through GMC PAUL'S.
The body shop was unable to install as it was too tricky.
I had to pay a window glass installer and even then it took him 3 hours.
He said these windows are a bear. Not sure if he meant the deluxe trim, or just the slider itself.
Your gasket looks too large by the way.
Old 10-16-2015, 06:46 PM   #8
truckster

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Pasinski View Post
I bought my slider from a board member.
I then bought a gasket & chrome trim through GMC PAUL'S.
The body shop was unable to install as it was too tricky.
I had to pay a window glass installer and even then it took him 3 hours.
He said these windows are a bear. Not sure if he meant the deluxe trim, or just the slider itself.
Your gasket looks too large by the way.
Did he try to put the trim in after he installed the slider? The rear window (slider or flat glass, either way) is a pretty simple install. But if you don't put the trim into the rubber before you install it, you're going to have a bad day.
Old 10-16-2015, 08:37 PM   #9
special-K
Special Order

Sliders take the same seal as the solid glass. Precision makes the best. Obviously LMC makes the worse...not even close. The sliders never came with trim, only the standard seal. I used a Precision seal and that bugger worked me hard...TIGHT! And that's a good thing

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2015, 01:41 AM   #10
createthis

Quote:
Originally Posted by special-K View Post
Sliders take the same seal as the solid glass. Precision makes the best. Obviously LMC makes the worse...not even close. The sliders never came with trim, only the standard seal. I used a Precision seal and that bugger worked me hard...TIGHT! And that's a good thing
I guess that would be... this guy: http://www.jcwhitney.com/p3039135/sk...51327y1971g2j1

Worth a try. Thanks!
Old 10-17-2015, 09:29 AM   #11
special-K
Special Order

That's cool JC Whitney is selling the good stuff. Many 67-72 vendors deal in Precision. They have the rep for being the best

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2015, 12:11 PM   #12
cypressbog
Go Pack Go!

Quote:
Originally Posted by createthis View Post
I guess that would be... this guy: http://www.jcwhitney.com/p3039135/sk...51327y1971g2j1!
I'm not sure this will work. The description says small window.
cypressbog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2015, 12:24 PM   #13
Jrainman

Ok so I saw this post last night , and I have a slider NIB that I got with my truck when I bought it . when I first took it out of the box and looked at it a couple months ago , I thought is was not the right window and figured wrong part bought by PO.

Then this morning I pulled it from the box and compared it to my OEM window and gasket. well it is correct .there was no company name on the box ,but on the glass it reads Tempered customs .

Now when I came back here to post my findings ,I looked at your pictures again and came to the conclusion

A) you have a 73-87 slider
B) you have a 73-87 gasket

I think the 73- 87 widow is larger So my money is on you are trying to install a 73-87 gasket on a 68-72 window.
Attached Images

Jrainman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2015, 01:03 PM   #14
createthis

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdowns View Post
Just got around to doing this. Far as I can tell, eyeballing it, it's a good fit. Same size. Now to find a gasket that fits...
Old 10-25-2015, 01:11 PM   #15
createthis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrainman View Post
Ok so I saw this post last night , and I have a slider NIB that I got with my truck when I bought it . when I first took it out of the box and looked at it a couple months ago , I thought is was not the right window and figured wrong part bought by PO.

Then this morning I pulled it from the box and compared it to my OEM window and gasket. well it is correct .there was no company name on the box ,but on the glass it reads Tempered customs .

Now when I came back here to post my findings ,I looked at your pictures again and came to the conclusion

A) you have a 73-87 slider
B) you have a 73-87 gasket

I think the 73- 87 widow is larger So my money is on you are trying to install a 73-87 gasket on a 68-72 window.
You can put your money on whatever you want, but I suggest you avoid putting it on part number 38-5916 from lmctruck: http://www.lmctruck.com/features/cb/cb9bq.htm

Does not fit the slider they sell for the same model year (part number 38-4800 http://www.lmctruck.com/features/cb/CBPTW.htm ), and they think that's just fine and won't do anything about it. Terrible customer service.
Old 11-05-2015, 07:23 PM   #16
createthis

Quote:
Originally Posted by cypressbog View Post
I'm not sure this will work. The description says small window.
Yep. That one was too small. Sigh. Shipped it back today.
Old 11-05-2015, 07:37 PM   #17
Grumpy old man

Hi , Call the guys at manes truck parts (mom and pop shop ) They have the best customer service and great prices and super fast shipping

http://www.manestruckparts.com/index.cfm

looks like the gasket you need is $34.95

http://www.manestruckparts.com/store...Category_ID=22
Grumpy old man is offline   Reply With Quote