The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > 67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-19-2011, 08:34 PM   #201
litew8

Re: Barn raising

Don't think you need break in oil with a roller setup.
Great job on your build, I hate to be the one to say - I think you're breaking all kinds of copyright laws by doing the lettering on your tires.
The look is cool though, I looked into maybe getting Firehawks. I think there was a large letter version discontinued.

There are Eagle Nascar tires avail., not huge lettering though -

Last edited by litew8; 12-19-2011 at 08:50 PM.
litew8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 12:05 AM   #202
oldblue1968chevy
Grandpa in the rustmobile...

i have the ones pictured top

Goose-1968 C10 355,9.32-1CR, Vortec Heads ,262 voodoo, 3.73:1 3OTT (HS ride/beater/farm truck)
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=317684

Grams 53-1953 Chevrolet Belair
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...=1#post4327784

1969 Chevy C10 Shortbed 4.5/6?" Frame off resto
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=548136

1999 Toyota Tacoma 4x4
oldblue1968chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 01:52 AM   #203
Mike Bradbury

Quote:
Originally Posted by litew8 View Post
Don't think you need break in oil with a roller setup.
Great job on your build, I hate to be the one to say - I think you're breaking all kinds of copyright laws by doing the lettering on your tires.
The look is cool though, I looked into maybe getting Firehawks. I think there was a large letter version discontinued.

Yeah, I saw the Good Year version but the were not jumbo enough for the design I had in mind. I actually purchased a "one time use" right for the logo. But since I am not marketing them and it is only for personal use and not for sale I think I am fine.

Project: Barn Raising http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=414961

Project: 30 Be Low https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=830583
Mike Bradbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 01:55 AM   #204
Mike Bradbury

I have heard the same thing that with a roller set-up regular oil is fine. I am going to run something good in it any way, I have not decided yet but it is not going to be over the counter stuff.

Old 12-21-2011, 01:56 AM   #205
Mike Bradbury

OK here are the final brackets for the rack.

I transfered the aluminum mock up to 1/4 inch plate and plasma cut the rough shapes out, sanded them to fit and then tacked them up

All welded up and fit in place checking for distortion.

It's close to the main cross member, about 1/4 inch clearance but it is not going to move. I will be getting all new grade 8 hardware for those of you who noticed the eclectic mix of bolts

Sand blasted and ready for powder coat. I was able to keep my OEM front cross member so I powder coated that too. I did not take a picture of them done because I only had my phone and it does not register gloss black to well.

Old 12-21-2011, 02:08 AM   #206
litew8

"one time use", maybe for a graphic, for use by a graphic artist like your Sister, but not for what you've done. You're using the graphics 4x. I'm just saying so others don't go out and do the same without knowing - copyright infringement is a serious matter, especially if you're dealing with a large corporation (e.g. Goodyear), and can lead to serious fines.

Correct me if I'm wrong, can you provide a link with the "one time use" license information?
Because heck, who wouldn't want to do the same, legally?
Old 12-21-2011, 02:53 AM   #207
litew8

Edit: Let me rephrase that so you don't think I'm a total ass. You cannot do that, and post it for the whole world to see.
Old 12-21-2011, 09:19 AM   #208
mcbassin
Still Learning

Hey Mike, Nice work on the rack mounts. You got it going your way with those. I know you had some time tied up in those. They look great!
mcbassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 09:51 AM   #209
Vintage Windmills
Vintage 4x4s

Love the Callahan auto parts reference!

Nice job on the engine. I am contemplating converting a 72 350 into a roller engine like this.

I wouldn't worry about the copyright thing at all since you're not using the name to make any money. You're also not defaming them in any way and they won't bother one guy making one set. Heck, if anything Goodyear should be paying you for free advertising!

67 GMC K1500 Custom- 305V6 SM420, PTO, Ram Assist, yellow (the outcast) (project period correct upgrades)
67 GMC C2500 351V6 TH400, AC, PS, PB (can't decide what to do with. Update, decided to keep and will restore )
86 CHV K30 502 th400, apple red NEW
71 CHV K20 350 SM465, ochre (saved work truck)
71 CHV K20 292 SM465, white, tach, PTO, (future project)
72 CHV K20 350 350th, medium blue (project stocker)
01 CHV K2500hd crew, indigo blue

^3 dont run and the others don't see winter either
'86 K30 Cummins "Fireside" thread: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=649649
'71 K20 "get driveable" thread: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=590642
'72 K20 Build Thread: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...=493477&page=6
Vintage Windmills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 10:55 AM   #210
67cheby
67cheby

um i think you should be SELLING that rack mount system !! thats a no brainer , make you some truck money with those !!
67cheby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 12:52 PM   #211
Mike Bradbury

Quote:
Edit: Let me rephrase that so you don't think I'm a total ass. You cannot do that, and post it for the whole world to see.
I guess the obvious question would be; what is the point of making the file of the companies logo available if not to be seen by the public? It was replicated but on only one truck. If I did the same art on a t-shirt and put the logo on the front and back of the shirt, are you are saying that I would have to buy it twice? Sure if I was going into production I would have to agree, but this is my personal truck and the tires are not for sale. Funny you never mentioned anything about the Callahan logo. In the same light if I purchase a file from itunes I am aloud to play it on my boom box at the beach for all to hear (within 50 ft), but when I play it in my store to draw people in then it is something completely different.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67cheby View Post
um i think you should be SELLING that rack mount system !! thats a no brainer , make you some truck money with those !!
Trouble is then I spend all my time making parts for other guys trucks and mine never gets done I am not interested in the liability that accompanies making steering and suspension parts. When it is for my truck it is fun, when it is a job it is grueling. This truck is my therapy, I work on it to unwind from the long work week or month. I don't want to make it part of the long week. I try to post detailed pictures and step by step in case someone wants to copy my ideas, I am not at all bummed if someone develops anything from my truck on theirs. It is the best form of flattery

Last edited by Mike Bradbury; 12-21-2011 at 01:00 PM.
Old 12-21-2011, 03:23 PM   #212
mcbassin
Still Learning

Quote:
Trouble is then I spend all my time making parts for other guys trucks and mine never gets done I am not interested in the liability that accompanies making steering and suspension parts. When it is for my truck it is fun, when it is a job it is grueling. This truck is my therapy, I work on it to unwind from the long work week or month. I don't want to make it part of the long week. I try to post detailed pictures and step by step in case someone wants to copy my ideas, I am not at all bummed if someone develops anything from my truck on theirs. It is the best form of flattery
Well stated Mike. I totally understand where you're coming from. Now, I hope you made some sketches of these mounts. I would love to do an upgrade like this in the future
mcbassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 03:32 PM   #213
litew8

Dude, I don't have all the answers. Callahan is fictitious, Goodyear isn't. They make the file available to make money. Like "one time use" for one page on a website, or one page in a magazine. You didn't use the graphic itself at all, you re-manufactured letters, on tires which is misrepresenting the Goodyear name brand - 4x on one truck. I just know companies frown on misuse of their name branding, trademarks, copyrights etc... I didn't mention it to piss on your parade, just to let you and other know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bradbury View Post
I guess the obvious question would be; what is the point of making the file of the companies logo available if not to be seen by the public? It was replicated but on only one truck. If I did the same art on a t-shirt and put the logo on the front and back of the shirt, are you are saying that I would have to buy it twice? Sure if I was going into production I would have to agree, but this is my personal truck and the tires are not for sale. Funny you never mentioned anything about the Callahan logo. In the same light if I purchase a file from itunes I am aloud to play it on my boom box at the beach for all to hear (within 50 ft), but when I play it in my store to draw people in then it is something completely different.
Old 12-21-2011, 04:10 PM   #214
Mike Bradbury

Thanks for letting me know.

Old 12-21-2011, 04:14 PM   #215
crakarjax

I think this can be considered art, and as such is exempt from these copyright issues.
Old 12-21-2011, 04:20 PM   #216
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

The copyright discussion has come up many times over the years on many different threads. It has never gone anywhere except to piss people off with "friendly" warnings. I doubt there are a ton of people that want to make fake goodyear tires that need a warning concerning this. Copyrights do not last forever in any case. Goodyear has been around since 1898. Pretty sure their copyright protection for the name is used up (but the trademark laws would still be in effect). Every published work before 1923 is considered public domain in the US, works published before 1964 that did not have their copyrights renewed 28 years after first publication year also are in the public domain.

I don't think this falls into any intellectual property in any case. Artwork for the logo is past the copyright time frame, use of the word Goodyear would not be protected anyway (fair use laws and 1st amendment). The only other problem could be trademark, but I haven't read anything about that to make a comment on. I don't think this is any different than someone stichting a chevy logo into a seat. Unless you are selling the seats with chevy logos you don't need licensing from GM to posess it.

*edit* looked at some trademark info and I don't think this is even close to infringement because he is not making a product for selling. Not really any different than sticking a sticker on the rear window. This would probably fall under the "fair use" laws.

Last edited by hgs_notes; 12-21-2011 at 04:33 PM.
hgs_notes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 04:40 PM   #217
litew8

Copyrights go extinct after a person has been dead for so many years. Goodyear is still doing business. Besides, it isn't a logo - it's a name. This is a good discussion none the less.
Old 12-21-2011, 04:47 PM   #218
FrankieD

Quote:
I have heard the same thing that with a roller set-up regular oil is fine. I am going to run something good in it any way, I have not decided yet but it is not going to be over the counter stuff.
It isn't only for the cam you still have all the bearings cam, crank, main and rod's that could score if not coated right. Better safe than sorry an extra $50 bucks more in a new engine is cheap protection.
http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/
FrankieD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 05:01 PM   #219
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Quote:
Copyrights go extinct after a person has been dead for so many years. Goodyear is still doing business. Besides, it isn't a logo - it's a name. This is a good discussion none the less.
That's not exactly true either. The estate of the dead person still holds copyrights, such as Elvis, Jimi Hendrix, etc. Still ongoing lawsuits concerning several dead artists, authors, whatever. Copyright laws apply to intelectual property only, not a product or company name. Thats where trademark laws apply. Trademark infringement laws apply to companies producing fake products using a trademarked name or logo, or companies selling a product with names or logos that are a very close copy of the trademarked name or logo. The trademark remains active as long as the company continues to use it. It can expire afer 5 years of non-use, but that is not set in stone either.

Again, he is not selling a product with a trademark protected name or logo. He does not have to buy licensing for his own use. He is not advertising a product using the trademark. There are fair use laws on the books to potect the average citizen from over-zealous corporations. In fact, use of a competing trademark in advertising is encouraged by the government in order to increase the quality of the trademark holders products by having them publicly criticized. That allows toyota to bash GM and GM to bash Ford, etc.
Old 12-21-2011, 05:08 PM   #220
OLDIRON69

I get the same stuff with my General Lee and Warner Bros. I peeled the tag off my mattress too!
69 Dodge Charger-440/4spd
OLDIRON69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 08:03 PM   #221
70-Shorty

Quote:
It most certainly IS a LOGO, a trademarked logo...names can be logos...How about McDonalds®???

If GoodYear gave a sh!t about such a thing they would (and could) at the minimum send you a cease and decist notice barring you from further use. Some companies (say Harley-Davidson® for example) vigorously protect any and all of their logos and intellectual property (including trademarked logos). Whether or not a company has been in business since 1900-whatever means absolutely NADA. There is NOT "fair use" or "one-time" uses of corporate logos like this. You are just an individual who did this for his own uses....i don't think in any universe that GoodYear would allow you to do this if you asked nicely, or even paid them. More realistic thing is that they don't know, or this is just small potatoes. Besides, do you think they would approve of putting "GoodYear Eagle" on a tire product that isn't even a GoodYear tire?

All that said, i think your truck (and the thread) is bitc*en and you are a pretty talented dude to tackle what you have done. I envy you guys who can cut/weld and fabricate. I know how to design stuff and make stuff pretty, but for fab work i have to rely on my friends...

Tim
02 Ford F-150 Harley-Davidson supercharged 5.4
2000 Harley Roadking Hot Bike Baggers Mag Shoot
http://s263.photobucket.com/albums/i...oot/?start=all
some truck lettering & flame jobs
http://www.flickr.com/photos/4950319...7602894916215/
70-Shorty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 11:02 PM   #222
Josh
He's got mean nasty FANGS!

Quote:
I actually purchased a "one time use" right for the logo.
His truck, his purchase, his tires. This has turned into a pissing match. Anymore on the subject will lead to infractions and vacations. If anything arises from using the logo it's ultimately up to him, his lawyers and goodyears lawyers to figure out if there is an issue with. I consider this subject closed and lets get back to the point of this thread a build of a sweet truck.

Josh
1969 C-10
1967 C-10 Panel
josh@67-72chevytrucks.com
Josh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 07:20 AM   #223
slick copper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh View Post
His truck, his purchase, his tires. This has turned into a pissing match. Anymore on the subject will lead to infractions and vacations. If anything arises from using the logo it's ultimately up to him, his lawyers and goodyears lawyers to figure out if there is an issue with. I consider this subject closed and lets get back to the point of this thread a build of a sweet truck.

Josh
What he said!

1967 Chevy C/10 LWB Custom Optioned "big window truck" AKA Copper

My build thread: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=452594
The story of how I got the truck:http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=450939
Ole Smokey Build Thread 2002 Silverado 8.1L Crew Cab **SOLD**http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=618402
slick copper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 04:03 AM   #224
Mike Bradbury

It has been a productive week but a frustrating week as the truck has been putting up a fight the whole way. I did complete the rack and pinion brackets and the steering geometry. still need to marry the Mustang shafts to the Chevy rod ends. Mustang is 14 x 1.5 mm and the Chevy is 5/8 fine thread. I was considering fabricating a sleeve that would allow the smaller rod end ball joint to fit into the larger 3/4 ton steering arm. Not sure how much of a compromise that would be to the strength of the system but the Chevy is quite a bit bigger. But it was a 3/4 ton and now it isn't.

I also got the motor mounts done and powder coated. they looked like they were going to fit perfectly when I mounted the engine, but when I mounted the tranny, it tipped the engine back about 5* and it was putting skewed pressure on the bushings. I ended up cutting them apart and re welding them so they now fit like they should.

I sand blasted the inside of the hood and it is now ready for paint, along with the inside of the fenders and the firewall. I ended up going with a good epoxy primer and then a urethane enamel that matches the original color.

I am going to have to figure out what to do about the Alternator adjustment. With short valve covers the alt can rotate fine but with tall covers the alt hits the covers and a belt will not fit on it.

Old 12-26-2011, 10:26 AM   #225
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Thats a lot of work, lets see it.