The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-10-2020, 06:31 AM   #1
Markuli

Aisin AR5 Transmission Swap

I've read of a couple people putting AX15's into their trucks, but has anyone installed the newer AR5? Did you use the Fab Bot kit, the Novak AX15 adapter kit, someone else's?

I'm looking into a lower- cost 5 speed swap as my M20 doesn't sound too healthy these days.
Markuli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2020, 09:43 AM   #2
LockDoc
The Older Generation

Re: Aisin AR5 Transmission Swap

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markuli View Post
I've read of a couple people putting AX15's into their trucks, but has anyone installed the newer AR5? Did you use the Fab Bot kit, the Novak AX15 adapter kit, someone else's?

I'm looking into a lower- cost 5 speed swap as my M20 doesn't sound too healthy these days.

What years had the AR5 transmission?

When I put the AX15 in my '34 Ford, behind the Chevy 377 stroker engine I used the Novak adapter and it worked very well. I don't have any road miles on it yet because I have a brake system problem but I have driven it around the driveway (long).

For the members that aren't familiar with the AX15 they were used in Jeep and Toyota vehicles. I presume the AR5 would be the same but I am not sure on those. They are supposed to be a pretty tough 5 speed OD transmission.

I would be interested in hearing about the AR5 experiences also.

LockDoc

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles

(My Dually Pickup Project Thread)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829820

-

Last edited by LockDoc; 04-10-2020 at 10:08 AM.
LockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2020, 12:53 PM   #3
Markuli

Glad to hear your hot rod likes the trans! Always puts a smile on my face when I see a Ford coupe with a Chevy powerplant...

From my reading, the AR5 has a couple GM variants. The two main sources of these transmissions are the Pontiac Solstice and the (more readily available) first gen 2003-2012 Colorado. FabBot, one of the guys who makes adapters, says he's abused these transmissions behind 600HP Ls motors and they've held up remarkably well.

The AR5's most notable external difference from the AX15 is that the AR5's 1 1/8" input shaft is 3/8" longer (along with being 26 spline vs 10 spline). The bolt pattern on the front of the case is exactly the same. If I use the Novak kit I'd have to space out the bell due to that extra length, but what would I have to do about my throwout bearing?

I've been leaning towards the Novak kit because I could keep my mechanical linkage, flywheel and bell. I'd have to go from my 12" clutch down to an 11" to find a cheap kit, though. If I were to go the FabBot route, I'd need to switch over to a hydraulic clutch setup as that kit uses the 4L60 bellhousing.
Old 04-10-2020, 08:08 PM   #4
LockDoc
The Older Generation

Quote:
Glad to hear your hot rod likes the trans! Always puts a smile on my face when I see a Ford coupe with a Chevy powerplant...

From my reading, the AR5 has a couple GM variants. The two main sources of these transmissions are the Pontiac Solstice and the (more readily available) first gen 2003-2012 Colorado. FabBot, one of the guys who makes adapters, says he's abused these transmissions behind 600HP Ls motors and they've held up remarkably well.

The AR5's most notable external difference from the AX15 is that the AR5's 1 1/8" input shaft is 3/8" longer (along with being 26 spline vs 10 spline). The bolt pattern on the front of the case is exactly the same. If I use the Novak kit I'd have to space out the bell due to that extra length, but what would I have to do about my throwout bearing?

I've been leaning towards the Novak kit because I could keep my mechanical linkage, flywheel and bell. I'd have to go from my 12" clutch down to an 11" to find a cheap kit, though. If I were to go the FabBot route, I'd need to switch over to a hydraulic clutch setup as that kit uses the 4L60 bellhousing.

My Novak kit came with a replacement front bearing retainer that accepted the Chevy throwout bearing. For the '34 I used the stock Chevy clutch parts and a T-Bird cable actuator for the clutch fork to pedal. In a '67-'72 Truck you should be able to use all of the stock clutch linkage with the Novak kit.

LockDoc

-
Old 04-10-2020, 09:06 PM   #5
Markuli

Quote:
Originally Posted by LockDoc View Post
My Novak kit came with a replacement front bearing retainer that accepted the Chevy throwout bearing. For the '34 I used the stock Chevy clutch parts and a T-Bird cable actuator for the clutch fork to pedal. In a '67-'72 Truck you should be able to use all of the stock clutch linkage with the Novak kit.

LockDoc
So my current throwout bearing can be used, that's good to know. I think this is just more of a lack of basic general clutch knowledge on my end, but will my throwout bearing pose an issue if there's an extra 3/8" it needs to travel, since the trans will be 3/8" further from the clutch fingers?
Old 04-11-2020, 12:08 AM   #6
LockDoc
The Older Generation

Quote:
So my current throwout bearing can be used, that's good to know. I think this is just more of a lack of basic general clutch knowledge on my end, but will my throwout bearing pose an issue if there's an extra 3/8" it needs to travel, since the trans will be 3/8" further from the clutch fingers?

That won't make any difference.The clutch fork pivot ball is mounted to the bell housing and the throwout bearing sits in the yoke of the clutch fork, so the location of the transmission will have no bearing on the distance of the throwout bearing from the pressure plate or how far it travels.

LockDoc

-
Old 04-11-2020, 12:56 AM   #7
Markuli

Quote:
Originally Posted by LockDoc View Post
That won't make any difference.The clutch fork pivot ball is mounted to the bell housing and the throwout bearing sits in the yoke of the clutch fork, so the location of the transmission will have no bearing on the distance of the throwout bearing from the pressure plate or how far it travels.

LockDoc
I think I worded my last reply incorrectly. I'm almost certain that I need to run a bell spacer to account for the longer shaft. So the bell would be further back, and so my clutch fork and therefore TO bearing are also 3/8" back because they're indexed with the bell like you said. Am I making sense?
Old 04-11-2020, 10:16 AM   #8
LockDoc
The Older Generation

Quote:
I think I worded my last reply incorrectly. I'm almost certain that I need to run a bell spacer to account for the longer shaft. So the bell would be further back, and so my clutch fork and therefore TO bearing are also 3/8" back because they're indexed with the bell like you said. Am I making sense?
The spacer should be built into the transmission to bellhousing adapter. You shouldn't need anything between the engine and bellhousing.

LockDoc

-
Old 04-11-2020, 06:14 PM   #9
MusicMan70

Looks to be a pretty nice alternative.
Here are some links and information I was able to pull up.
I did read/watch them all and they are valid at time of posting, but I've not done this swap. I'm just sharing what I found.

General Motors used the AR-5 as RPO MA5.

Gear ratios:
1st-3.75, 2nd- 2.26, 3rd- 1.37, 4th-1.00, 5th- .73, Rev- 3.67

https://www.fabbotfab.com/collection...ssion-adapters

https://youtu.be/O1tsFmjqRUo

The AR-5 is a 5-speed manual transmission manufactured by Aisin. It is designed for longitudinal engine applications and can handle up to 225 ft•lbf (305 N•m) of torque.
Transmissions are rated according to application, not capability. That just means that the highest rated car with an AR5 thus far produced 225 ft-lbs of torque

the box was officially rated at "260 ft/lbs" but the Toyota Supra and Lexus IS300 community has proven that that isn't exactly true. Supposedly it lives up to about 600 ft/lbs so long as you don't abuse it. It was also the transmission used in the Mallet LS2 powered Solstices. It's an upgraded Supra R154 box with double synchros on 1/2/3

Here’s a great link with info and photo’s as well.
http://www.montecarloss.com/communit...77&type=thread

YOUTUBE Transmission in a Nova
Part 1- https://youtu.be/MkVUT62E8S0

Part 2 -https://youtu.be/S02-X1bQMMo

And just FYI, Matt from FabBot just dyno'd his setup with the AR5 and pulled 882hp / 784tq at the rear wheels so the AR5 is one tough transmission

According to Rockland Standard Gear the strength of a manual transmission is defined by the centerline distance between the mainshaft and the cluster gear shaft, as well as the spline and diameter of the input and output shafts.

For reference the AR5 has an 82mm centerline distance, a 26 spline input shaft and a 27 spline output and the input shaft bearing is capable of handling a 510 newton meters.

The TKO600 has an 83mm centerline distance, a 26 spline input shaft and a 31 spline output shaft

The F-body 98-02 T-56 has an 85mm centerline distance, a 26 spline input shaft and a 27 spline output shaft

General Motors used the AR-5 as RPO MA5.
Old 09-23-2023, 05:35 PM   #10
jessemthompson

I realize this is an old thread, but I AR5 swapped my 5.3 72 C10. I really like the trans. Beats all the 4L60e issues I was having.
jessemthompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2023, 07:18 PM   #11
Markuli

Glad to hear it! My M20 is still holding on for the moment so I haven't made the jump yet.
Old 09-25-2023, 08:16 PM   #12
'68OrangeSunshine

I've heard about the A833, But this is new to me.

Every 25 years I like to rebuild that 292, whether it needs it or not.
'68OrangeSunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2024, 01:38 PM   #13
atomicredneck

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessemthompson View Post
I realize this is an old thread, but I AR5 swapped my 5.3 72 C10. I really like the trans. Beats all the 4L60e issues I was having.
Which tunnel did you have and did you have to modify it to fit the ar5?
atomicredneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2024, 04:53 PM   #14
jessemthompson

I have the low hump trans tunnel. No modifications other than cutting the hole for the shifter.
jessemthompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2024, 06:57 PM   #15
atomicredneck

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessemthompson View Post
I have the low hump trans tunnel. No modifications other than cutting the hole for the shifter.
Perfect, thanks!
atomicredneck is offline   Reply With Quote