The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > projects and builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-07-2011, 09:24 PM   #176
SFTorange

Re: The Brown Truck

Ok, things are getting closer by the day. My body guy's slowly starting to work on the rest of the sheet metal, and I've been tying up loose ends like crazy. I have it running alright and finished running my a/c lines. I ran most of the wires under the hood through some braided wire loom to clean things up. Since my budget is maxed out, I picked up a slightly used Interstate battery from the local distributor for $25 (they resell batteries that were incorrectly replaced under warranty).

I'm not sure what I think about the late model steering wheel, but for $0 it'll work for now. I also test fit the black carpet and it seems ok. It might be a bit narrower than I'd like, but I think it'll be ok. I've had it sitting on a shelf for the last decade, so I have no choice but to use it!
Attached Images

SFTorange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 10:19 PM   #177
AZ66GMC
Desert Dweller

Wow! Awesome progress

I haven't been on lately, too busy and no time for relaxing.... Your truck is looking great!

I have the same radiator from eBay and just installed it last weekend. It didn't "drop in" as hoped, but fit after modifying the lower and upper mounts... Dropped my temp about 22 degrees compared to the stock 3 row I had. I think it's a good buy and works as advertised.

Keep the pics coming

Tony
Posted via Mobile Device

66 GMC LWB
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=399283
AZ66GMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 10:50 PM   #178
198plus

Looks great !!!!!!!!!!
198plus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 10:55 AM   #179
SFTorange

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ66GMC View Post
Wow! Awesome progress

I haven't been on lately, too busy and no time for relaxing.... Your truck is looking great!

I have the same radiator from eBay and just installed it last weekend. It didn't "drop in" as hoped, but fit after modifying the lower and upper mounts... Dropped my temp about 22 degrees compared to the stock 3 row I had. I think it's a good buy and works as advertised.

Keep the pics coming

Tony
Posted via Mobile Device
Quote:
Originally Posted by 198plus View Post
Looks great !!!!!!!!!!

Thanks Guys!
Old 07-12-2011, 11:39 PM   #180
SFTorange

I've spent the last couple of nights at bodywork fantasy camp. I talked the guy who's painting my truck into letting me help out after work. I mainly stand around and watch him work because it is so interesting, but I did grind off some of the paint and some unexpected thick body filler patches. It feels good to be moving forward.

My dad took on the project of finishing the bed wood. It's nice to have some extra help. The first coat of Epifanes marine spar varnish went on the underside. It darkened up quite a bit, but looks great.
Attached Images

Old 07-13-2011, 11:46 PM   #181
SFTorange

It seems like every day there is something different to chase down. I had to talk the sandblaster into taking in and touching up my bed today because of the number of places he missed the first time around. We got it taken down to him and finished up today.

The engine compartment is pretty much finished up now. I got my windshield washer and wipers plumbed up and working. The washer has never worked for me, so it should be nice to have done.

Since my a/c is a custom install, I've had to place 4 separate orders for small parts to get the system plumbed up and working. Today I got a new fitting to finish the install of the trinary safety switch. I'm now ready to charge the system. The a/c will be nice.

The area inside my grille is pretty busy with trans cooler lines and a/c stuff, but it's pretty well covered up by the grille.
Attached Images

Old 07-15-2011, 09:01 AM   #182
SFTorange

I loaded up the truck and towed it up to the body shop yesterday. The Suburban did a valiant job, she complained a little, but made it just fine.
Name:  001.jpg
Views: 994
Size:  33.9 KB

Some progress at the body shop. The '66 Suburban fuel filler door is in. It looks like it was there from the factory. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that the progress keeps coming.

Name:  CIMG0147.jpg
Views: 1028
Size:  44.1 KB
Name:  CIMG0148.jpg
Views: 1025
Size:  46.4 KB
Name:  CIMG0149.jpg
Views: 1031
Size:  54.3 KB
Old 07-18-2011, 05:01 PM   #183
SFTorange

hood, fenders, bedsides, various small sheetmetal parts in primer...
Attached Images

Old 07-18-2011, 05:54 PM   #184
pope

So is the suburban next?!
Old 07-18-2011, 06:05 PM   #185
SFTorange

Quote:
Originally Posted by pope View Post
So is the suburban next?!
That's up to my Dad (and his pocketbook) to decide! I think he plans to keep it as a driver for now. We'll try to fix up some of the rusty sheet metal, but it runs and drives great as is. I think it will be better classified as a "budget build".

By the way, is that your truck I see along I-90 in Belgrade every time I drive through?
Old 07-18-2011, 06:25 PM   #186
pope

LOL yeah thats my truck.
Old 07-18-2011, 09:18 PM   #187
RoyL

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFTorange View Post
Finally getting around to posting my progress from the weekend. I kept picking away at the wiring, and got a bunch of small things done. I installed my inner fenders, modified the fan shroud, and got the engine compartment pretty much installed.
What fan shroud did you use?
Old 07-19-2011, 09:06 AM   #188
SFTorange

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyL View Post
What fan shroud did you use?
I used the original V8 fan shroud, but since I moved the engine forward it had to be trimmed pretty extensively to fit.
Old 07-19-2011, 10:58 AM   #189
Dinos63
chevy only

NICE BUILD !!NICE WORK
Old 07-19-2011, 01:38 PM   #190
SFTorange

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dinos63 View Post
NICE BUILD !!NICE WORK
Thanks Dino! It's a bit different direction than some of your builds, but up here in Montana, stock height is a necessity in some situations. Maybe someday, I'll have polar opposite builds and have a dropmember twin!
Old 07-19-2011, 04:45 PM   #191
panelrodder81
Doin' it live!

Quote:
I used the original V8 fan shroud, but since I moved the engine forward it had to be trimmed pretty extensively to fit.
We had to do the same thing on my dad's 64 C20. He swapped the front suspension in from a 73 Chevy and the motor mounts pushed the engine forward two inches. Had to notch the stock shroud in a couple different places on top and almost all of the lower part for the power steering and the crank pulley.

Truck looks amazing. The quality of the build is fantastic.

-Panelrodder
2005 Harley Sportster - 'Shemp'
panelrodder81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 12:10 AM   #192
SFTorange

Quote:
Originally Posted by panelrodder81 View Post
We had to do the same thing on my dad's 64 C20. He swapped the front suspension in from a 73 Chevy and the motor mounts pushed the engine forward two inches. Had to notch the stock shroud in a couple different places on top and almost all of the lower part for the power steering and the crank pulley.

Truck looks amazing. The quality of the build is fantastic.

-Panelrodder
That's exactly what I had to do. The shroud ended up kind of flimsy, but I'm considering adding electric fans someday anyway. I have a wire stubbed in already, and a trinary switch for the a/c when I'm ready. I figure it'll clean up the engine compartment a bit more when I do.

Thanks for the compliments. I'm hoping for more progress in the next couple of days.
Old 07-22-2011, 06:14 PM   #193
SFTorange

Well, no more progress this week, but I'm told that things will continue over the weekend. I've spent way too much time trying to get the fabric delivered for the seats (upholstery supplier was slow to ship, and messed up my order when they did). The bed wood is progressing slowly, but needs to dry 24 hours between coats.

The end is near, but it has never seemed so far away.... Time to sit back and try to enjoy the process.
Old 07-22-2011, 07:07 PM   #194
66-PMD-GMC
The 60-66 GMC/Pontiac guy....

Quote:
Well, no more progress this week, but I'm told that things will continue over the weekend. I've spent way too much time trying to get the fabric delivered for the seats (upholstery supplier was slow to ship, and messed up my order when they did). The bed wood is progressing slowly, but needs to dry 24 hours between coats.

The end is near, but it has never seemed so far away.... Time to sit back and try to enjoy the process.
I am curious, are you building this truck or having it built? Just curious.

Building Genuine Pontiac Firepowered cars and trucks for several decades.

Why Pontiac?? That's just me daring to be different.

Projects..

63 C10 Short Wheel Base fleetside (The Pro-Street) currently under reconstruction.
440CID 2X4 Pontiac
66-PMD-GMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 07:27 PM   #195
SFTorange

I've built the truck myself. As I've said before, I'm having the body work done by someone locally, and my uncle is covering my seats for me. My dad is helping out by coating the bed wood. Everything else except building the engine and transmission was done by me. I've spent hundreds of hours in the shop so far, and more to come!
Old 07-22-2011, 07:33 PM   #196
66-PMD-GMC

Quote:
I've built the truck myself. As I've said before, I'm having the body work done by someone locally, and my uncle is covering my seats for me. My dad is helping out by coating the bed wood. Everything else except building the engine and transmission was done by me. I've spent hundreds of hours in the shop so far, and more to come!
Yeah I was just curious because you said you were told progress would continue over the weekend.
Nice build.
I am doing a swb frame conversion at the moment but it is freaking hot out today. The sun is brutal.

Projects..

63 C10 Short Wheel Base fleetside (The Pro-Street) currently under reconstruction.
440CID 2X4 Pontiac
Old 07-25-2011, 01:15 PM   #197
SFTorange

I thought I'd say a few words about the American Autowire classic update harness I used. I was very impressed with the kit, customer service was very responsive, and although expensive the Delphi crimpers for the factory GM terminals did an awesome job.

Here's a pic of what was left when I finished. I have almost as much wire left over as I have in the truck! It was nice to have a lot of flexibility to run the wires where I wanted.
Attached Images

Old 07-26-2011, 03:13 PM   #198
SFTorange

I've been assisting at the body shop this week, and things are moving forward.

My tailgate had some dents and pinhole rust spots, so we had a couple of patch panels bent up at the local sheet metal shop. It's going to turn out really well.

Name:  CIMG0159.jpg
Views: 873
Size:  36.0 KB

I made sure to put a bigger drain hole in my newly repaired fenders in order to keep the usual rust gremlins at bay.
Name:  CIMG0162.jpg
Views: 956
Size:  37.8 KB

We worked on some final sanding and masking in order to jamb out the fenders, hood prior to installation. He's going to paint the truck assembled in order to avoid inconsistency between colors on the different panels.
Name:  CIMG0161.jpg
Views: 865
Size:  43.8 KB
Old 07-26-2011, 03:42 PM   #199
66-PMD-GMC

Quote:
I made sure to put a bigger drain hole in my newly repaired fenders in order to keep the usual rust gremlins at bay.
Attachment 778907
There is an inherent engineering defect in the 60-66 that lets the front tires spew rain, mud, slush etc. all over that area of the fender.
I think coating the entire inside of the wheel well with a rhino coat, sealing the crap out would help A LOT....
Looking at it assembled I am not sure the "drain hole" does anything at all. Anyone have ideas on that?

Projects..

440CID 2X4 Pontiac
Old 07-26-2011, 03:47 PM   #200
SFTorange

What happened to my fenders is that mud packed up the entire open cavity behind the support brace after it plugged the tiny drainage hole in the area. This then led to rust issues. I opened that hole up so that I can run water down from above to wash the area out on a regular basis. There is access from the top side of the fender where you can flush the support area out.