The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-24-2019, 09:22 AM   #26
my67c20

Re: Advice needed

Well what is done is done and now its time to move forward. I know in one of your posts you mention that this was to be a frame off, but what was the condition before? Was it always in the plans to added the 4-link, bags and I am assuming an LS swap? Did you provide parts, or did they? There is a large aftermarket supply base for stock and upgrades to these trucks. However, some of that takes some serious investigation to ensure compatibility with what is there.

As others have also mentioned, go find a good shop in the area and get some estimates on time and labor to repair stuff. Then reach out to the court systems in the shops areas and see what your option are. A legal battle costs money, which may be more than repairing the issues.

In the meantime, I suggest filling a cooler with some beer and ice, grab a pen, paper and camera and go front to back, top to bottom and identify all the items that you are not happy with. Rank them by need to do, nice to do and can live with it. This forum can help you with mechanical stuff and good sources for parts, but paint your going to need local expertise. Just keep us informed, we are her for you.
my67c20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 11:15 AM   #27
68is4me

If that shop did everything from ground up that would be a 20-40k resto for a nice job. for a great job even more. Not sure what you paid but maybe you got your moneys worth.

If you don't give the shop any chance of making it right I am not sure what you recourse would be. Lawsuit would cost alot and take time, have another shop do again and it will still cost you money.

I hate to say it but I think the blame is kind of on you. You should have been checking on the retro process constantly.

I hope it all works out for. That is just terrible that shop would put out that kind of work.
06 gmc duramax
68is4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 11:46 AM   #28
Red71gmc

You have been wronged and obviously not happy about it (nor should be). In my experience lawyers will only add to your anger and disgust when they claim they can handle it no problem and emidiately shift to a different stance as soon as you sign their contract and hand over a sizable deposit. My experience would be to save yourself the money and anguish and apply it to the truck.
Best bet would be what others have suggested and communicate (if possible) with the builder realizing his shops abilities are obviously limited. Maybe pick out what he is good at and see if he can fix those issues to satisfaction. The other issues probably need another person to fix. If parts need replaced to fully correct maybe "ask" for refunds of those parts or materials.
I would leave an attorney for the very last option. If you do end up going down that path remember what the builder did to you and expect the same from the attorney. Meaning, have the attorneys duties in writing too and they only get paid if you do. If the attorney doesn't go along, find another that will or save your money and time. Ask me how I know.
Red71gmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 12:38 PM   #29
Coley

Smile Re: Advice needed

Well...you have to look ahead now, because you can't unring the bell associated with what happened here.
I agree with many of the other guys that most legal recourse would be expensive...probably more than what the work cost you.
However, i would ante' up for at least one notarized letter from a lawyer and send it to him.
Then, I consider working to shut or slow his business down through some of the very social networks he uses to prop it up.
Don't be a redneck doing it tho'...be professional and articulate and clear.
He is not the first backyarder pretending he is chip foose.

There is a good lesson here tho' for everyone regarding so-called 'frame offs'...which I why I don't trust 90% of them regardless of who does them.

Good luck either way and keep us posted on how it is going.

all good
Coley
2005 Chevy Silverado HD2500/Duramax
2000 Dodge Ram 1500
Coley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 01:08 PM   #30
68is4me

I just thought of this. If all else fails with the shop, lite up their social media pages. Show them all the stuff that they did wrong and how they won't stand behind it. I am not a fan of blasting people on social media but if all else fails, I say do it. If it don't help you, maybe it will help somebody else before they make the same mistake.
06 gmc duramax
68is4me is offline   Reply With Quote