The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-24-2019, 11:30 AM   #1
69Tex

Brake wire? Need help

Alright guys long time forum follower but first time poster,
I've got a 1969 c10,
My buddy came over the other day and noticed something I never have,
Underneath the master brake cylinder the wire was broke,

He had a replacement one but had to get to work and now hes asleep so I cant ask where it connected to,
He just dropped off in my mailbox over night and thought I'd mess with it this morning

Anyone have any ideas?
Attached Images

69Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 11:44 AM   #2
Rickysnickers

Re: Brake wire? Need help

Sorry, no help. Just wondering why you are flipping us all off?
Rickysnickers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 11:47 AM   #3
69Tex

Aha the pointer finger for men!
Old 01-24-2019, 11:47 AM   #4
jocko

Trace backwards from your fuel gauge’s brake light. This is the brake warning light switch that tells you when your brake circuits have been isolated because of a pressure differential (leak in one). I’m not certain where it plugs into your harness without looking, can do later tonight perhaps. Don’t be surprised if you have a brake warning light displayed persistently after fixing this- that’s usually why people cut them - and usually right before they sell them.
jocko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 11:56 AM   #5
69Tex

Quote:
Originally Posted by jocko View Post
Trace backwards from your fuel gauge’s brake light. This is the brake warning light switch that tells you when your brake circuits have been isolated because of a pressure differential (leak in one). I’m not certain where it plugs into your harness without looking, can do later tonight perhaps. Don’t be surprised if you have a brake warning light displayed persistently after fixing this- that’s usually why people cut them - and usually right before they sell them.

Gotcha I appreciate it,

Got the truck nearly 3 years ago and never had any problems with it just the buddy noticed the wire was missing and stated he had another,

Il look into it further I appreciate it
Old 01-24-2019, 12:28 PM   #6
kazoocruiser

If you move the wire around, sort of in an arc, you might find where it plugs into. I have something very similar on my 1981, and one end of the wire plugs into the junction block, and the other end plugs into a wire that drops down next to the radiator core support.
kazoocruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 01:20 PM   #7
VetteVet
Msgt USAF Ret

The wire you have in your hand is the brake warning light, which when grounded will illuminate the light in the dash cluster. It gets grounded if the brake levels in the master cylinder get too low or uneven. It also gets grounded when the ignition switch is turned to the start position for cranking the engine, to test the light bulb in case it gets blown.

The short wire from the master cylinder (proportioning valve) goes to the firewall block, just to the right of the master cylinder, where all the engine bay wires go into the cab.

I believe it is the one on the upper right next to the green wire in the picture.

Name:  Firewallterminal 1.jpg
Views: 995
Size:  89.2 KB

It then goes into the cab behind the fuse panel and runs over to the key switch.

Name:  replacementswitchpigtail.jpg
Views: 856
Size:  62.6 KB

It is the wire on the right next to the green wires. There are two wires in the picture and the other brown wire goes to the dash cluster plug to terminal 2 next to the pink wire on the plug, and connects to the cluster, which feeds the light. The green wires are not used on gauge type clusters, only on warning light clusters, and they work very similarly. The green wire from the temp sender goes to the firewall block then to the key switch then to the cluster plug to terminal 5.

Name:  gauge plug.jpg
Views: 812
Size:  19.4 KB

You may have a problem in the firewall block that requires separating it and re-doing the connection for the brown wire. The end on yours does not look like the right connection for the wires in the block. It could be that someone has installed a different connector on it and routed the wire into the cab to the key switch a different way.

metallic green 67 stepside
74 corvette convertible
1965 Harley sportster
1995 Harley wide glide

Growing old is hell, but it beats the alternative.
VetteVet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 03:02 PM   #8
LockDoc
The Older Generation

-
The connector by your pointy finger is half of a bullet connector. See if the female connector from your old wire will plug into it. I bet it will.

LockDoc

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles

(My Dually Pickup Project Thread)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829820

-

Last edited by LockDoc; 01-24-2019 at 06:00 PM.
LockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 05:46 PM   #9
michael bustamante

if you cant find the bullet connector or you find one on your firewall harness that reaches to the metering block,
(prop valve for drum brakes) then take off the one you got on your man pointy finger and just plug it in. if its broken altogether from the firewall plug just solder some wire there and solder the other end to the one you have on your hand