The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-26-2019, 06:51 PM   #1
mctattooer

Drum drum drum......brakes lol

Ok the truck I bought, po put new shoes and hardware kit on front and rear, he told me he couldn't get the drums back over the shoes and he thought the adjusters were wrong, so I ordered new ones and put on today, well no change as I thought.

Took shoes off and took drum and shoes to my parts guy to match up, they are correct. Back home I put back together and after so more digging the wheel cylinders would not compress, took one apart got it to go in and boom drum fits.

So today I ordered all new wheel cylinders, new brake hoses because the others looked rough, and ordered new master cylinder do to small leak. So all in all everything will be new.

However. More I think about it, should I just spend the money and convert front wheel to disk? And if so anyone know if they make a affordable kit to make it disk but keep the 6 lug?
Thanks in advance
mctattooer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2019, 09:14 PM   #2
hjewell2

Re: Drum drum drum......brakes lol

I would like to know also hope somebody can chime in on this one.
hjewell2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2019, 09:41 PM   #3
franken

I'll just google it for you. You'll need to read the results for yourself.
https://www.google.com/search?hl=en&...71.4HyFDnkO9SM
franken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2019, 09:42 PM   #4
saxart

You'll hear a lot of guys say that you absolutely should convert to disks. I really think it depends on how you use your truck and where you drive. I live in relatively flat country, don't tow much, and only use my truck as a weekend cruiser. If you live in the mountains, tow with your truck, or even daily drive it, then I would absolutely convert to disks.

Drum brakes stop fine, they just heat up during repeated usage. For me they work perfectly fine, were easy to install, and dirt cheap to rebuild, so I decided to keep the drums with no regrets.
Old 01-26-2019, 11:06 PM   #5
Stocker
20' Daredevil (Ret)

Quote:
Originally Posted by saxart View Post
Drum brakes stop fine, they just heat up during repeated usage. For me they work perfectly fine, were easy to install, and dirt cheap to rebuild, so I decided to keep the drums with no regrets.
When drum brakes get wet, such as driving through a puddle when it's raining (not always avoidable) they don't work nearly as well. When just one side gets wet, the dry side tends to grab and pull you to that side. If you need to hit the brakes suddenly under such conditions it can get a bit dicey in a hurry.

I know, we used drum brakes for decades and survived, but there are real reasons I prefer discs. To each his own.

1972 K20 LWB 350/350/205

RIP El Jay
Stocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2019, 11:39 PM   #6
GASoline71
"I ain't nobody, dork."

There are front disc brake kits made that have 6 lug front rotors. But you'll have to switch to 71-72 spindles, ball joints and tie rod ends.

Gary

My 1972 GMC 1500 Super Custom (Creeping Death) "long term" build thread.

The Rebuild of Creeping Death after the wreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by LONGHAIR View Post
I would never rebuild a 305.
Quote:
Originally Posted by prostreetC-10 View Post
I love using vacuum gauges as part of the carb tuning process. I hook the gauge to the inside of my garbage can and leave it there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv D View Post
Remember Murphys 2nd law of mechanical relationships... "OPPOSING COMPONENTS ATTEMPTING TO OCCUPY THE SAME SPACE, AT THE SAME TIME, GENERALLY END UP OCCUPYING ADJOINING SPACE AT THE BOTTOM OF THE OIL PAN"
Quote:
Originally Posted by cableguy0 View Post
Its cheaper to listen to advice given when you ask for help than it is to ignore everyone and wait for carnage.
GASoline71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2019, 10:14 AM   #7
saxart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stocker View Post
When drum brakes get wet, such as driving through a puddle when it's raining (not always avoidable) they don't work nearly as well. When just one side gets wet, the dry side tends to grab and pull you to that side. If you need to hit the brakes suddenly under such conditions it can get a bit dicey in a hurry.

I know, we used drum brakes for decades and survived, but there are real reasons I prefer discs. To each his own.

This is a VERY good point. I've only owned my truck for a couple of years now, and it's been off the road for part of that, so I don't know that I've ever driven it in the rain. Certainly something to watch out for!
Old 01-27-2019, 01:01 PM   #8
weq92f

The conversion isn't trivial as it involves swapping out the MC as well as the the front-end components, but it isn't all that difficult or expensive either.

As long as you keep those brakes adjusted and working properly and drive within the limits of the drum brakes and the road conditions, they will serve you well. That's the difficulty with drums and conditions. It doesn't take much of a lapse of concentration to find yourself in a bad spot!

If you have the time, $$ and ability, it's probably a good idea to upgrade as it is a safety concern and will ultimately make the truck a better vehicle for and everyone else on the road!

Hth,

-klb
99 540 sport V8 6sp -- sold
73 240z L24 4sp -- given to friend
68 C10 step 350/350 3.73 open -- sold
weq92f is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2019, 06:47 PM   #9
Rick Bollinger

I have a 6 lug 2 1/2" drop kit coming from CPP. I also ordered the midnight series master with booster. My brake light keeps coming on and my brakes are soft so I just figured I would do the swap. I have right at 1K in everything but that includes inner and outer tie rods ball joints everything except fluid and lines from the proportioning valve to the block. My truck is sagging on one side so I also got new Moog front springs, pitman, idler, upper and lower a arm shafts and bushings with a new swaybar. Should be a major improvement over stock. It was about an additional $400 for the complete rebuild.
Rick Bollinger is offline   Reply With Quote