The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-12-2019, 08:16 PM   #1
JerryIndy2112

HO72 rear drums

I did some searches on this site. I found a thread on the HO72 rear brake drums. They are no longer made for the 1971 axle. The thread said they used an earlier year drum, and drilled out the wheel studs to match the bigger ones the '71 used. Is this correct? I ordered 1969 drums. The drums I ordered are for the dually rear end, mine are not dually. I can return them if they do not look right when compared to what I have. I would also like information on separating the wheel bearing from the drum. I think I read that the studs will need replaced. I guess you have to pound out the studs, separate the two. Put on new drum and beat in new studs? Is this right? Or should I find a machine shop that can drill and press new studs in?
I have posted some of these questions on other threads without any comments or advice given. I have been on the message board for a year and have always had a good response and great advice on restoring my truck. Did I piss someone off? Am I asking the wrong questions? Everyone has been helpful in the past. Was kind of surprised to get no response. Maybe it just takes a new post to get attention to anyone who has solved this issue before. If I have made anyone mad, message me.

Jerry
JerryIndy2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2019, 09:09 PM   #2
68bowtie

Re: HO72 rear drums

Most likely people who have viewed your thread simply don’t have an answer for you.

Project "Little Sister" (70 c10 blue original paint refresh)
Project "C10 Fever" (68 factory black 396 swb)
Project "Blue Bomb" (70 c30 blue original paint refresh)
Project "Vitamin C" (71 c10 orange original paint refresh)
68bowtie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2019, 11:10 PM   #3
Wrenchbender Ret

Its the old drums that they don't supply any more. When I serviced a lot of fleet trucks I used to get the latter model drums & have the hub drilled out to take the larger studs.
The single wheel drums & dual wheel drums are completely different & can't be interchanged. Even the front drums are different on dual wheel trucks. You have to measure the diameter & width of the drum. There are different options & various sizes.
You can knock the studs out with a bar & big hammer. Then remove the drum.
It is best to press them back in but can be done with the hammer & drift.
George
Wrenchbender Ret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2019, 05:33 PM   #4
JerryIndy2112

Thanks Wrenchbender,
That was the information I was looking for. I am sorry to hear that dual and single rear drums are different. The measurements match mine. I was told they can be returned free. So I will see how they look when I get them.
Old 11-13-2019, 10:20 PM   #5
LockDoc
The Older Generation

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryIndy2112 View Post
Thanks Wrenchbender,
That was the information I was looking for. I am sorry to hear that dual and single rear drums are different. The measurements match mine. I was told they can be returned free. So I will see how they look when I get them.

Please post back in this thread after you get them and check them out....

Thanks,
LockDoc

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles

(My Dually Pickup Project Thread)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829820

-
LockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2019, 10:32 PM   #6
Getter-Done

Subbed for results.

63 Impala (my high school car)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...Crew Cab Build
Getter-Done is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2019, 11:37 PM   #7
JerryIndy2112

I am glad to share what information I get. If I had bought a half ton, any part can be had. For a one ton of this year, it is much more challenging. For the front disks I also had issues getting right calipers and hoses. Two steps forward the one step back. But, I will find a way to get her hauling and driving.

Jerry
Old 11-14-2019, 07:17 AM   #8
Getter-Done

Jerry
Here is a Thread with lots of info
Link: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...ight=ho52+ho72

Post #17 Board Member : RPOZ11 starts his rebuild.

Old 11-15-2019, 07:53 AM   #9
special-K
Special Order

I know '71 K/20s had one year only rear brake size, so drums & shoes. They were narrower and taller. I'm not sure how the other 67-72 HO52 swap, if the rest is all the same. I think everything else is the same, though. I do know that you can swap the complete brakes from backing plate-out off a 14-bolt rear

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2019, 08:18 PM   #10
JerryIndy2112

I got my drums today. They match in every way but one. I cannot use them. They set back too much. Diameter is great, pad width is great. The "cone" that sets them back is too far. The overall height sitting flat is even the same. I read the thread provided, they just switched to disk. I have seen it out there. I decided against it originally because it is $340.00 for the kit, plus $250.00 to get the version that has parking brake hook up. I had already bought pads, brake cylinders and brake hardware kit. I hate to waste all that money. But I am fully aware that I am restoring an odd version (1 ton) of an old truck. Right now I am leaning towards sending as much back as I can be refunded and buying the disk upgrade with the parking brake feature. While I may not use a parking brake often, I cannot remove that feature from the truck. Two steps forward and one back. Last year I did the fronts. New rotors, new pads, new calipers. The biggest issue with that project was hoses.

Jerry
Old 11-16-2019, 12:21 AM   #11
LockDoc
The Older Generation

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryIndy2112 View Post
I got my drums today. They match in every way but one. I cannot use them. They set back too much. Diameter is great, pad width is great. The "cone" that sets them back is too far. The overall height sitting flat is even the same. I read the thread provided, they just switched to disk. I have seen it out there. I decided against it originally because it is $340.00 for the kit, plus $250.00 to get the version that has parking brake hook up. I had already bought pads, brake cylinders and brake hardware kit. I hate to waste all that money. But I am fully aware that I am restoring an odd version (1 ton) of an old truck. Right now I am leaning towards sending as much back as I can be refunded and buying the disk upgrade with the parking brake feature. While I may not use a parking brake often, I cannot remove that feature from the truck. Two steps forward and one back. Last year I did the fronts. New rotors, new pads, new calipers. The biggest issue with that project was hoses.

Jerry

Sorry that didn't work out for you. I was hoping it would.

LockDoc

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles

(My Dually Pickup Project Thread)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829820

-
LockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2019, 08:37 AM   #12
Getter-Done

Jerry
I was hoping that would work out for you.

Please post on your progress of keeping that H072
in that truck.