The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-19-2019, 12:07 PM   #1
McDeezl

Questions on 72 GMC grille and chrome

Have searched threads on this and for the most part all I find is that you can't make aftermarket chrome look right on the 71-72 GMC trucks. So I'm in the situation where it's all repop aftermarket and not a lot of choice - not a lot of original metal and certainly chrome to be found in Canada.

So part of this is very self-inflicted where I purchased the top bar, light bezels and eyebrows from that place in Kansas where quality and especially chrome and metal quality is lets just say problematic. Did this at the start of the build before I knew about this so I have learned along the way like everyone else. The grille is at the top end of aftermarket purchased last year.

We'll start with the alignment issues around the light bezels. Passenger side isn't horrible but driver side still needs a bit more love. Thinking I can probably keep twisting and tweaking between rad support - grill mount - fender mounts, etc. to make it work but we'll see. Not sure I could say this is bezel quality related but who knows? The big challenge however is the eyebrows. If you follow the profile ridge of the fender to the inside profile of the eyebrow natural fit there is a huge gap between grille and eyebrow. Options would be pull eyebrow in away from natural profile fit to fit tighter to grille closing the gap or keep natural fit and live with the gap bad as it is. Pictures below explain both scenarios. The other issue with these eyebrows is the mount clips that fit on the back side of eyebrow. They are supposed to slide into the edge channels but I can't even get these to start into the channels let alone slide. Designed to work with the rounded spacers and nuts back side of fender and that fender profile curve - see photo for better idea.

I guess main question would be if I went with better quality aftermarket eyebrows (maybe also bezels and top bar?) how much improvement could be achieved or waste of money, same problems? Best aftermarket suggestions? What have guys done to get the GMC chrome especially eyebrows to line up and look ok .... besides finding and paying a small fortune for OEM chrome!
Attached Images

Old 11-19-2019, 12:11 PM   #2
McDeezl

Re: Questions on 72 GMC grille and chrome

A couple of photos with eyebrow fitted to natural profile between fender <> eyebrow and the mount clips that won't fit into the channels without some significant surgery. Experience with this and advice or suggestions?

Thx!!
Attached Images

Old 11-20-2019, 05:41 PM   #3
McDeezl

Suggestions - thoughts - ideas, anybody?
Old 11-20-2019, 07:50 PM   #4
jaros44sr

I had to gently prize my seam up to get the mounting clip under in various places, but watch that the chrome is not cracking

All parts offered to help are free, unless otherwise noted

Dont try this stuff in my build thread, unless you have 55 years of mechanical OTJ training
SAFETY FIRST

AS usual, off topic

They say your mind goes second, can't remember the first

Jim
jaros44sr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2019, 08:22 PM   #5
GASoline71
"I ain't nobody, dork."

I got lucky and found a complete 1972 C25 for a parts truck to use for the front clip of my 1972 C15. Parts fit perfectly... sorry you're having to deal with poor fitting parts. It sucks to make them fit correctly. Are those the original fenders on the truck from 1972?

GMC's used the same fenders from 1968 to 1972. The only Chevy C10 fenders that will fit a 68-72 GMC Correctly are the 1968 C10 fenders.

Gary

My 1972 GMC 1500 Super Custom (Creeping Death) "long term" build thread.

The Rebuild of Creeping Death after the wreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by LONGHAIR View Post
I would never rebuild a 305.
Quote:
Originally Posted by prostreetC-10 View Post
I love using vacuum gauges as part of the carb tuning process. I hook the gauge to the inside of my garbage can and leave it there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv D View Post
Remember Murphys 2nd law of mechanical relationships... "OPPOSING COMPONENTS ATTEMPTING TO OCCUPY THE SAME SPACE, AT THE SAME TIME, GENERALLY END UP OCCUPYING ADJOINING SPACE AT THE BOTTOM OF THE OIL PAN"
Quote:
Originally Posted by cableguy0 View Post
Its cheaper to listen to advice given when you ask for help than it is to ignore everyone and wait for carnage.
GASoline71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2019, 09:09 PM   #6
Andy4639
Old member

Thumbs up Re: Questions on 72 GMC grille and chrome

I have 2 full sets of the clips, wedge washers and trim off the 67 Ramp truck and 68 Step side.

I bought new trim and will try the new clips that came with it but if I need to I will use the old clips. The 68 is getting new trim but the ramp is going to stay with the better of the 2 trim pieces.
Good luck with your sir and hopefully it will go on just fine.
Attached Images

Upstate SC GM Truck Club
2013,14 and 2016 Hot Rod Pour Tour

http://upstategmtrucks.com/

Get out and drive the truck this summer and have some fun!
It sucks not being able to hear!

LWB trucks rule, if you don't think so measure your SWB!
After talking to tech support at Air Lift I have found out that the kit I need is 60811. Per the measurements I gave them. Ride height of truck inside spring and inside diameter of springs.
Andy4639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2019, 09:12 PM   #7
McDeezl

The fenders are aftermarket as well but are the correct 68-72 GMC ones. Had a mixup on that as well which I explained on page 3 of my build thread below. Not sure if I'm going to try a better quality aftermarket eyebrow set or not ... they ain't cheap but this ain't exactly a cheap hobby either! If I knew that another set would have a significantly better fit I would for sure but its a crap shoot at best. Seems that either way I'll have to figure out which way I want to cheat this to find the "least worst" solution.
Old 11-20-2019, 09:15 PM   #8
McDeezl

I'll get a couple of closeup pics tomorrow of the back of the eyebrows and the clips. Doesn't even come close to the old ones you show above .... clips fit perfect in those.
Old 11-21-2019, 02:33 PM   #9
McDeezl

Some better photos of the mount clips.
With a bit of careful prying out and probably a bit of dremel type small cuts they will get in there.
As jaros44sr mentioned above, slow and careful to not crack or damage them.
Attached Images

Old 11-21-2019, 02:52 PM   #10
McDeezl

Now for how to resolve the "least worst" option for mounting the eyebrows.
Can't see pulling them in closer to the grille edge as this changes the whole moulded profile fit to the fender which would look even worse.
You can see the dashed lines on eyebrow and fender where they need to line up and the gap that creates between the two when sitting in place.
So here's what I'm thinking for now but this may well change .... I only want to drill one set of holes in the fenders!
If I painted that small vertical gap area on the fender where the white shows between the two .... make it flat black that matches the edge of the grille. Wouldn't look horrible and most every day folks would never notice the difference. Like Wes told me yesterday in an email, When GM was building these trucks 50 yrs ago cosmetic detail was not necessarily priority one.
What do you guys think?
Attached Images

Old 11-21-2019, 05:29 PM   #11
Dukk

That sounds like a reasonable solution - to black out the part that will be exposed.
Dukk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2019, 05:59 PM   #12
sick472

The white showing through does not bother me, but it very well could if it differs from side to side. Blacking it out could still be the best option...try using some black electrical tape as a quick check...if you like it, peel and paint.

1972 C10
1976 C10 (parts truck)
1985 K20
sick472 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2019, 06:43 PM   #13
McDeezl

The white isn't terrible either I guess (orange would have been awful!) and it is pretty much equal both sides but the tape idea is good. I'll do it tomorrow (maybe tonight) and post close up pics of both with the white paint and black tape to see the difference .... we'll see from there.
Thx!
Old 11-21-2019, 10:16 PM   #14
McDeezl

Right and left sides with white paint on fender visible between outside edge of grille and inside edge of eyebrow

Right and left sides with black tape on fender visible between outside edge of grille and inside edge of eyebrow

Until I get a better solution looks like a bit of flat black paint about 1" wide between grille and eyebrows works for now. If at some point I come up with better quality and fit eyebrows they just cover up that black paint underneath and nothing to undo.
Attached Images

Old 11-22-2019, 12:57 AM   #15
Ptjsk

I thought the little bit of white was no big deal, but the posted pics of the black tape behind it looks much better!

Pat
Ptjsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2019, 09:55 AM   #16
sick472

OH YEAH! Black it out. Nice mock up for comparison, that really helps the mind's eye. Much better.

1972 C10
1976 C10 (parts truck)
1985 K20
sick472 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2019, 11:12 PM   #17
Andy4639
Old member

Talking Re: Questions on 72 GMC grille and chrome

X2 black it out and your good to go!

Good job sick472!

Upstate SC GM Truck Club
2013,14 and 2016 Hot Rod Pour Tour

http://upstategmtrucks.com/

Get out and drive the truck this summer and have some fun!
It sucks not being able to hear!

LWB trucks rule, if you don't think so measure your SWB!
After talking to tech support at Air Lift I have found out that the kit I need is 60811. Per the measurements I gave them. Ride height of truck inside spring and inside diameter of springs.
Andy4639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2019, 12:44 AM   #18
davischevy

My truck has never been hit or taken apart that I know of, and the grill eyebrows are far from a perfect fit. I bought NOS ones a couple of years ago and have snagged extra clips here and there, just so If I ever paint this truck I would have them. I am not optimistic they will fit well.
Attached Images

Build thread, Arkansas K10
https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...=755797&page=5

The ability to speak several languages is an asset, but the ability to keep your mouth shut in any language is priceless.
davischevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2019, 01:10 AM   #19
McDeezl

Thanks so much for the feedback guys, much appreciated!
Flat black it out it is ... will post pics of the final result.
Old 11-23-2019, 01:26 AM   #20
McDeezl

davischevy that has to be about the nicest looking 48 yr old original paint and chrome ever!!
Old 11-23-2019, 02:47 PM   #21
Ptjsk

Here's a pic of original grill and trim. Obviously, you can see color through the gap.

I like your idea of painting it black.

Pat
Attached Images

Ptjsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2019, 03:29 PM   #22
McDeezl

Thanks Pat, this is good to know. Its not an aftermarket vs OEM problem after all!
Old 11-23-2019, 03:31 PM   #23
tim71

I've had the same type issues with my aftermarket grill/ eyebrows. My truck went together in late 2017, and I thought that I would try to refine my grill appearance after the build. Of course I've never got back to my grill issue. I like the idea of blacking out the gap, on my truck you see bronze paint thru the gap. My headlight bezels fitment is terrible the attaching hardware lines up very poorly. I'm not sure what the correct gap measurement is between the hood and top grill bar, but mine looks way to wide (back of hood gap seems correct). It's like the entire grill needs to lean backward more at the top by the hood. If you try to do that, the fender bolt holes don't match. Maybe summer of 2020 will be the time to tackle this again. Unfortunately, I have to deal with a leaking rear main seal on a freshly rebuilt engine first.
If you enlarge the attached pictures you can see my gap issues. Second photo shows hood gap somewhat.
Attached Images

Old 11-23-2019, 05:08 PM   #24
McDeezl

x2 exact same experience as you have had!
I have the large gap between front edge of hood and rear edge of top bar and the light bezels are pretty brutal for alignment. I have slotted some of the holes where the top bar and grille mount to the upper/lower inside of the fenders which helps. Lots of back and forth though where every adjustment you make at one end changes the adjustment at the other end.
Your feedback confirms my suspicions that going to a different aftermarket manufacturer won't change anything so $$ saved to throw at something else on this truck!
BTW that is a real nice looking truck!
Old 12-22-2019, 05:57 PM   #25
McDeezl

Painted the flat black section on the fender to fill the area between grille and eyebrow. Came out pretty good.
Now for lining the rest of it all up ... see next post below.
Attached Images