The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Engine & Drivetrain > LSx Swaps

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-11-2023, 09:29 PM   #1
UniqueOdyssey68

Question Exhaust MagnaFlow mufflers w/5.3 swap?

Anybody have any videos of 14 inch MagnaFlows with a Gen III 5.3?
Searched a lot here and youtube and not much of this specific setup or it's not mentioned.
Getting custom exhaust done soon. 2.5 inch Dual 14 inch long oval MagnaFlows behind cab tucked into frame, H pipe. Not cats, just running straight out back under bumper (tip cutouts) to 3.5 inch rolled edge stainless tips. Headers are shorty's on a 2006 5.3 (L33 "H.O.") stock w/custom ecm tune.

Can't decide between 14 inch or 18 inch long MagnaFlows, but I'm thinking 14. I'm hoping for good flow, low restriction (LS engines like to breathe), Noticeable idle/rumble, enough to hear across the street (residential) or standing nearby but not streets over the whole neighborhood lol, and that smooth deep tone on acceleration, and aggressive on WOT. From the tons of reading and research I've done, dual magnaflows with minimal bends, straight and H pipe seem to be the way to go. I love the Flowmaster idle sound, burble, but I think in these single cabs and overdrive cruising RPM most Flowmaster's are to loud, drone a bit much and definitely don't flow as free as straight thru.

Any links to videos of Gen3 5.3 stock with 14 inch MagnaFlows would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!
Attached Images

- long term project '68 C10 true shortbed! Resto-mod. LS swap. Build thread: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=769919 "I've still kept this project truck when anyone else would've given up and sold it as is. Giving up is easy, staying the course is part of life's journey"
Old 04-11-2023, 10:46 PM   #2
mongocanfly
Post Whore

Re: Exhaust MagnaFlow mufflers w/5.3 swap?

I can't help you with a video...but, I have a set of 16in magflows on my 6.0 swapped C30..
Notice I said magflow, not magnaflow.. no X or H pipe
they are identical to each other, just knockoffs..but much cheaper,
since changed the name to maxflow..
Running 2-1/2" from headers ,,,dumps in front of rear axle.. I love the way it sounds.rumbling idle, good sound at highway speed.. flow is great..get lots of "I love the way your truck sounds" compliments
I think you'll be pleased with the results on your truck, I think I'd go with 18s over 14s

RIP Dad
RIP Jesse

1981 C30 LQ9 NV4500..http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=753598
Mongos AD- LS3 TR6060...http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...34#post8522334
Columbus..the 1957 IH 4x4...http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...63#post8082563
2023 Chevy Z71..daily driver
mongocanfly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2023, 07:36 PM   #3
bigmoe

My stock Gen IV 5.3 has shorty headers, duals with no x/h pipe, Magnaflow XL 3 chambers and tailpipes over the axle and out behind the wheels. Love the sound on start up and slow power. Don't really like the hard throttle because it's quite "plappy slappy", not what I would call smooth and deep. I added some cheap resonators under the cab before the mufflers but it didn't really change it much. It's okay but I wish it was deeper and throatier.
bigmoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2023, 08:25 PM   #4
truckster

I can maybe post some video tomorrow... I put 2 1/2 inch stainless duals with an H pipe and 14" Magnaflows on my Blazer a couple of months ago. It's an L31 rather than an LS, but I love the sound. Low rumble at idle, sounds sweet running through the RPM range, and thunders a bit at wide open throttle.
Old 04-12-2023, 11:57 PM   #5
UniqueOdyssey68

Thanks! The straight thru designs seem to produce that deep tone at idle and accelerating I like.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mongocanfly View Post
I can't help you with a video...but, I have a set of 16in magflows on my 6.0 swapped C30..
Notice I said magflow, not magnaflow.. no X or H pipe
they are identical to each other, just knockoffs..but much cheaper,
since changed the name to maxflow..
Running 2-1/2" from headers ,,,dumps in front of rear axle.. I love the way it sounds.rumbling idle, good sound at highway speed.. flow is great..get lots of "I love the way your truck sounds" compliments
I think you'll be pleased with the results on your truck, I think I'd go with 18s over 14s
- long term project '68 C10 true shortbed! Resto-mod. LS swap. Build thread: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=769919 "I've still kept this project truck when anyone else would've given up and sold it as is. Giving up is easy, staying the course is part of life's journey"
Old 04-13-2023, 12:07 AM   #6
UniqueOdyssey68

Hmm, from all the tech articles I'm reading and what MagnaFlow tech support emailed me today, the lack of a balance pipe (either H or X) on the LS/Vortec series engines is what is causing that "slappy" noise during hard throttle which is high in the RPMs. Those balance pipes are recommended for reasons to balance the exhaust pulses and even out/"smooth" the turbulence as the exhaust passes down the pipes. Might consider adding one and see if that helps yours, it should..
On the older SBC and BBC etc. this wasn't as much of an issue and actually produced a nice uneven "roar" pulse at high RPM, but the exhaust stroke scavenging and cam profiles are different in the LS. Reading up on this stuff has been kinda fun lol.

I think I'm going H pipe it seems to be less cost than a X pipe.
Thanks for the info on your setup.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigmoe View Post
My stock Gen IV 5.3 has shorty headers, duals with no x/h pipe, Magnaflow XL 3 chambers and tailpipes over the axle and out behind the wheels. Love the sound on start up and slow power. Don't really like the hard throttle because it's quite "plappy slappy", not what I would call smooth and deep. I added some cheap resonators under the cab before the mufflers but it didn't really change it much. It's okay but I wish it was deeper and throatier.
Old 04-13-2023, 12:10 AM   #7
UniqueOdyssey68

Nice! Much like what I'm thinking. H pipe takes up more space but costs less and is "supposed to" help in the lower RPMs compared to the X in higher RPMs. This will be a street driver so lower RPM flow is better
Videos would be great if you have them, thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by truckster View Post
I can maybe post some video tomorrow... I put 2 1/2 inch stainless duals with an H pipe and 14" Magnaflows on my Blazer a couple of months ago. It's an L31 rather than an LS, but I love the sound. Low rumble at idle, sounds sweet running through the RPM range, and thunders a bit at wide open throttle.
Old 04-13-2023, 01:16 AM   #8
Richard

If you love the Flowmaster sound use the 70 series. Same sound but about 50% quieter. Have single 3" on my 94 and get compliments often. They are a bit longer than the others. On any muffler regardless of design, larger usually means quieter. Probably going use two 3" 70 series with an X-pipe on my LSA installed in the 72. HP loss or gain is not a concern for me. Even at 650 or so at the crank, type of muffler would maybe account for 10hp 1 way or the other. Probably no change at all because motor has a supercharger.

Last edited by Richard; 04-13-2023 at 01:23 AM.
Richard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2023, 09:29 AM   #9
verdell

Quote:
Originally Posted by UniqueOdyssey68 View Post
Anybody have any videos of 14 inch MagnaFlows with a Gen III 5.3?
Searched a lot here and youtube and not much of this specific setup or it's not mentioned.
Getting custom exhaust done soon. 2.5 inch Dual 14 inch long oval MagnaFlows behind cab tucked into frame, H pipe. Not cats, just running straight out back under bumper (tip cutouts) to 3.5 inch rolled edge stainless tips. Headers are shorty's on a 2006 5.3 (L33 "H.O.") stock w/custom ecm tune.

Can't decide between 14 inch or 18 inch long MagnaFlows, but I'm thinking 14. I'm hoping for good flow, low restriction (LS engines like to breathe), Noticeable idle/rumble, enough to hear across the street (residential) or standing nearby but not streets over the whole neighborhood lol, and that smooth deep tone on acceleration, and aggressive on WOT. From the tons of reading and research I've done, dual magnaflows with minimal bends, straight and H pipe seem to be the way to go. I love the Flowmaster idle sound, burble, but I think in these single cabs and overdrive cruising RPM most Flowmaster's are to loud, drone a bit much and definitely don't flow as free as straight thru.

Any links to videos of Gen3 5.3 stock with 14 inch MagnaFlows would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!
I'm running a cammed L33 with Magnaflows, 2.5" exhaust, X-pipe, all the way out back dumping under the roll pan, stainless tips. I know it's not your exact setup but may give you an idea. I'll message you if you like..
Attached Images

Last edited by verdell; 04-13-2023 at 09:42 AM.
verdell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2023, 09:14 PM   #10
LS short box

Pic of my Magnaflow like mufflers installed. Didn't care for the sound. Went back to my old stand by Dyno Max turbo mufflers.
Typically I run 3" to the mufflers from the headers. Then 2.5" tail pipes.
Attached Images

LS short box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2023, 10:09 PM   #11
fourspeedwagon

Unique— What did you wind up using? Happy with it?
“People are shocked when they find out I’m not a good electrician”
Dad told me “Son, never strike a man in anger- unless you’re certain you can get away with it”
fourspeedwagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2023, 09:46 PM   #12
UniqueOdyssey68

Quote:
Originally Posted by fourspeedwagon View Post
Unique— What did you wind up using? Happy with it?
Yes, went with dual 14x9 MagnaFlows straight out back to bumper cutouts. It looks pretty good, and it's tucked up into the frame. I'll post pics soon.