The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-31-2002, 01:31 PM   #1
bigfish_63

Wheel adapter

Does anyone know if you can get a wheel adapter to change from 8 lugs to 5 or six lugs. It is just easier to find rims with 5 or 6 lugs
bigfish_63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2002, 05:04 PM   #2
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

It is easy to find 8 lug rims, and easy to find good looking ones too. open any hot rod catalog and you'll find them. Then you can also look int eh 4X4 books, they are full of them too.
I highly doubt you'll ever find them. They are illegal in most states.
% lug rims, let alone the typical 15 inch tire, are not rated to hold the weight of a 3/4 ton truck loaded down. That is why they make it so hard to get the wrong tires. (remember the 16.5's? That is exactly whay they did that)
Just about any state run inspection station (that is run properly) will catch this instantly, and gig you for it, sending you home without an inspection sticker. (asuming you have that in your state...we don't here)
Longhorn Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2002, 05:16 PM   #3
diehardrider
KEEP IT PINNED

Im sure you could find someone to trade you 8 lug running gear for thier 5 or 6 lug
diehardrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2002, 05:46 PM   #4
XXL
Seņor Member

Re: Wheel adapter

Quote:
Originally posted by bigfish_63
Does anyone know if you can get a wheel adapter to change from 8 lugs to 5 or six lugs. It is just easier to find rims with 5 or 6 lugs
To answer your question, yes. To add an unsolicited 2 cents... 1) you're going to immediately impact your backspacing by 1" positive offset or more. That adapter has to be thick enough to still have a flat mounting surface for the wheel after you've lugged it onto the existing rotor/drum; and 2) You will pay a small fortune for them (or you will get cheapo ones that will be deadly dangerous). I machined some adapters many moons ago for a Mazda pickup I did... that was long before you could crack open a magazine and order bolt-on everything for your trucks. I did a set of Momo Aries, which were 4 x 108 on the Mazda's 6 x ??? (I forget). Since the Aries were FWD wheels, the offset was already pretty nutso, so I actually made my adapters a little thicker than 1". That gave me ideal offset to get the wheels out of the steering gear and control arms and still tuck neatly under the fenders when I opened the valve out of my front and rear air shocks and dumped the truck (yes, the "way back then" air suspension!).

Kenneth
XXL is offline   Reply With Quote