The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-13-2014, 07:35 PM   #1
voxnor

Mostly stock vs. significant mods; Daily Driver

I hesitated a few days posting this question as it is quite broad, very opinion based, and there are some threads similar in nature via searching. However, as I can't come to a decision - I am hoping some personalized opinions/photo's can help me make up my mind.

As I posted in my 'I'm new here' post, I have inheirited a 1969 C10 Custom Longbed Fleetside - owned by my Grandfather and Father previously. After a year and a half of trying to work on it (failing to make progress due both to a very busy I.T. career and a general lack of mechanical know-how), I resigned myself a few months ago to saving some cash and sending the majority (read: all) of the work to a shop. Main reason being: I want to enjoy driving/cleaning/maintaining the truck.

After shopping around the area and meeting with several shop owners, I landed with one in the area. I am now a few weeks away from dropping off the truck for several months for a full restore with a modest budget (35k target, 40-42 max).

Now for the issue: I can't decide between going mostly stock or doing some significat apperance mods. To better illustrate what I mean by this, here is a breakdown of major changes I would do each way:

Purpose of truck: Daily driver / occasional show (10k miles a year)

If I keep it looking stock: I'll put in a 350/290, TH350, stock ride height, mostly stock appearance

If I mod it a bunch: I'll go with a higher output engine, perhaps a ZZ5, do a 2/4 drop, and add a few more mods to the interior.

In either case, i'll be doing a disc brake conversion.

So - what do I do? I worry i'll sully the 'family heirloom' if I mod it a bit; but I worry i'll wind up a bit bored with a mostly stock truck. Anyone face a similar delima?

As I said - this is all opinion based - so lets have them! What would you do? Any thoughts for someone just now getting in to classic cars? I would greatly appreciate all opinions, pictures, insults, etc.
Old 03-13-2014, 07:44 PM   #2
Willys47

Re: Mostly stock vs. significant mods; Daily Driver

I say mod it. Make it the way you want so it will be fun to wash and polish it and turn some head on the road.
Old 03-13-2014, 07:45 PM   #3
pbajwabb

Quote:
Originally Posted by voxnor View Post
I hesitated a few days posting this question as it is quite broad, very opinion based, and there are some threads similar in nature via searching. However, as I can't come to a decision - I am hoping some personalized opinions/photo's can help me make up my mind.

As I posted in my 'I'm new here' post, I have inheirited a 1969 C10 Custom Longbed Fleetside - owned by my Grandfather and Father previously. After a year and a half of trying to work on it (failing to make progress due both to a very busy I.T. career and a general lack of mechanical know-how), I resigned myself a few months ago to saving some cash and sending the majority (read: all) of the work to a shop. Main reason being: I want to enjoy driving/cleaning/maintaining the truck.

After shopping around the area and meeting with several shop owners, I landed with one in the area. I am now a few weeks away from dropping off the truck for several months for a full restore with a modest budget (35k target, 40-42 max).

Now for the issue: I can't decide between going mostly stock or doing some significat apperance mods. To better illustrate what I mean by this, here is a breakdown of major changes I would do each way:

Purpose of truck: Daily driver / occasional show (10k miles a year)

If I keep it looking stock: I'll put in a 350/290, TH350, stock ride height, mostly stock appearance

If I mod it a bunch: I'll go with a higher output engine, perhaps a ZZ5, do a 2/4 drop, and add a few more mods to the interior.

In either case, i'll be doing a disc brake conversion.

So - what do I do? I worry i'll sully the 'family heirloom' if I mod it a bit; but I worry i'll wind up a bit bored with a mostly stock truck. Anyone face a similar delima?

As I said - this is all opinion based - so lets have them! What would you do? Any thoughts for someone just now getting in to classic cars? I would greatly appreciate all opinions, pictures, insults, etc.
350 with headers and bigger carb. Power steering/brakes. Good seat belts and tires. Everything cosmetic stock.
pbajwabb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 07:51 PM   #4
SS Tim

A lot will depend on what you start with. Many stock trucks were very plain and don't flash like a loaded Cheyenne Super with Deluxe Two-Tone paint.
What are you starting with and will you like it looking "new"?
If it is the truck in the avitar it is incorrect just from what I can see.
Post up a SPID and I will do one of my paste up breakdowns for you.

For me its hard to beat a stocker from a looks are reliability factor. Factory front power dics brakes adapted over from a 71-87 are the way to go and even more so for those less inclined to wrench on their truck.
SS Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 08:13 PM   #5
In The Ten Ring

I'm still processing the "modest $35,000." Are they hiring where you work?

OK. Serious again.

It's totally up to you man. I suggest taking your time to mull it over. Don't be in a hurry. $3,500 is a lot to me, let alone 10X that.

I used to want to radically change my truck but now, all I want is to go up to a 3.73 rear end, put in some cameras to help with parallel parking since steerable mirrors wouldn't look right and cams can be hidden, and fix all the rust and bondo. I want a temp gauge but I'll go with original clusters. A brush guard would be nice since I fear a deer strike.

At one time though, I was all about a 283 and 4 speed....I've since changed my mind. You may change your mind too.

In the end, it's your truck and only your opinion matters. Good luck.
In The Ten Ring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 08:35 PM   #6
voxnor

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS Tim View Post
A lot will depend on what you start with. Many stock trucks were very plain and don't flash like a loaded Cheyenne Super with Deluxe Two-Tone paint.
What are you starting with and will you like it looking "new"?
If it is the truck in the avitar it is incorrect just from what I can see.
Post up a SPID and I will do one of my paste up breakdowns for you.

For me its hard to beat a stocker from a looks are reliability factor. Factory front power dics brakes adapted over from a 71-87 are the way to go and even more so for those less inclined to wrench on their truck.

Here is the SPID and what I have assumed is the original Purchase Order. I don't know why the mirrors "AAT" section is circled, or by whom it was circled as the SPID lists no mirror option.

Also - you are correct about the avatar looking incorrect. That is the truck. It has the optioned side moldings, but my dad has it repainted in the mid-80's and opted to add two-tone (which it did not have). The mirrors are also after-market, as this should have the tiny circle mirrors I believe.

Name:  spid.jpg
Views: 885
Size:  24.1 KB
Name:  purchaseOrder.jpg
Views: 886
Size:  44.9 KB
Name:  passenger side.jpg
Views: 885
Size:  31.1 KB
Old 03-13-2014, 08:39 PM   #7
voxnor

Quote:
Originally Posted by In The Ten Ring View Post
I'm still processing the "modest $35,000." Are they hiring where you work?

OK. Serious again.

It's totally up to you man. I suggest taking your time to mull it over. Don't be in a hurry. $3,500 is a lot to me, let alone 10X that.

I used to want to radically change my truck but now, all I want is to go up to a 3.73 rear end, put in some cameras to help with parallel parking since steerable mirrors wouldn't look right and cams can be hidden, and fix all the rust and bondo. I want a temp gauge but I'll go with original clusters. A brush guard would be nice since I fear a deer strike.

At one time though, I was all about a 283 and 4 speed....I've since changed my mind. You may change your mind too.

In the end, it's your truck and only your opinion matters. Good luck.

Sincere apologies regarding the budget comment. 35k is of course a good deal of money; the "modest" modifier was added as its a small budget for someone asking a shop to do the entire restore for me. Some guys waltz into the same shop I am using with a 60k+ budget.

I do alright - I.T. pays well, no kids, wife works, small mortgage. I definitely recognize my situation is a fortunate one.
Old 03-13-2014, 08:54 PM   #8
NCBowtie

I like a fairly stock-looking exterior. Under the hood is another story. You could always do your mods later and that will give you some future projects to learn on.
NCBowtie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 09:05 PM   #9
BMERDOC

I say closer to stock. The look will remain timeless and not lose value. Feel free to take liberties with the restoration and upgrades. No one said you couldn't run a cam and heads and still make the motor look stock. Check out Hazel's engine. Its beautiful. Power steering and 4 wheel discs are almost a necessity these days. An overdrive transmission would be nice to have too. Stock looking interiors are great. Do some looking and see if you can find materials to keep it "stock appearing". I think long beds look better in a restored anyway but that's just me.
2WD C10 Modern/Performance Alignments
Easiest Alignment Ever!
BMERDOC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 09:11 PM   #10
knomadd

I personally like a bit of modification. I like to keep the body relatively stock. Maybe change the color if I don't like the original, add overdrive and wheels. I'd also lower it. I wouldn't go crazy with the engine if you're set on the daily driver aspect. Gas mileage may not be a big concern now, but the hefty gas bills may get to you over a long period of time. I like the 350 for a gen I engine. Not too big that it gulps gas, but not too small to make me want a new engine every time I drive it.

C/10 Club Texas member
1971 Chevy C10 "Brutus" SWB Fleetside 2016 6.0L (L96) 6L90E (driver/project)
1965 Pontiac GTO "Royal Goat" 400/TH400 w/AC (my baby)
knomadd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 09:28 PM   #11
cherokeejohn

from a restoration tech's Point Of View: The reasons we all love our trucks is a sense of style,difference,originality ,and for some, a love for the Era in general. from a painter/body tech's POV: modification is a way to express our own individuality, and to improve on things like comfort issues to body modification. It all boils down to what you like and want. If your going to use it as a daily driver, and u restored it to all original, I'm sure you'd find several things you'd feel could use some "improvements", no matter how extreme , . I appreciate them ALL!!! either way, Keep us posted, and PICs, we love PICs, John
cherokeejohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 09:34 PM   #12
jabborabbo

There are a lot more custom trucks in the world than there are original trucks. Add that to the fact that you have familial ties to the truck...if it were me I'd go 100% original...but that's just me....
jabborabbo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 09:49 PM   #13
dajn
Account Suspended

You definitely are sufficiently rolled for this project and then some. 40 k should buy the world when it comes to an old chevy pickup. A solid powertrain with overdrive, disk brakes and all the obvious stuff to make it float down the road like a dream. Goodluck.
dajn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 09:57 PM   #14
mmiddle

If it was mine with that budget.... I would let the shop do the things you cannot.... like paint, body and mechanical. You do stuff like easy bolt on parts.
I would do a 2/4 drop and a 5.3/4L60E and disk conversion. Put nice wheels on it and leave the body and interior as stock as possible.

For a DD that you are going to rely on with little mechanical abilities I will always recommend the new newer LS engines.

But... that's just me
2014 2SS/RS black on black Camaro (Betty)
2006 Pontiac SOLSTICE silver/black (Lula-Bell)
1970 C/10 Short Wide (Peggy)
1964 C/10 Short Step (Hambone)
RIP Jimmy Hamilton Thank you for the trucks
mmiddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 10:05 PM   #15
voxnor

Thank you all very much for the reply's so far - reading them is helping me formulate a better picture of what I want.

I am leaning towards going very stock (still with a new crate motor though as the current motor is not original - pulled from an 87 impala I am told).

Do you think i'll be happy with 290HP/325TQ for a daily driver? Or, as someone suggested, should I shoot for a stock looking block but add some enhancements to pull it up to around 350HP/350TQ?

I don't have too much of a lead foot - but I certainly don't enjoy driving something that feels like I can't make a quick pass if safety necessitates.
Old 03-13-2014, 10:14 PM   #16
In The Ten Ring

Quote:
Sincere apologies regarding the budget comment. 35k is of course a good deal of money; the "modest" modifier was added as its a small budget for someone asking a shop to do the entire restore for me. Some guys waltz into the same shop I am using with a 60k+ budget.

I do alright - I.T. pays well, no kids, wife works, small mortgage. I definitely recognize my situation is a fortunate one.
No worries man, I was just giving you a hard time. If you got the money, God bless you! If I had the money, I'd be riding around in an original Tiger II and sailing around the world on a replica ADMIRAL GRAF SPEE. LOL

I like the style of your truck...keep it original man!
In The Ten Ring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 10:15 PM   #17
dajn
Account Suspended

Just make sure your not getting fleeced. My 66 galaxie will cost a fortune to restore. 50k minimum, but that's a very rare car being a 7litre convertible with a four speed. Our beloved chevy pickups are not rare. Just make sure your not getting $5000 worth of parts and $30000 in "labor" when they bill you.
Old 03-13-2014, 10:34 PM   #18
voxnor

Quote:
Originally Posted by dajn View Post
Just make sure your not getting fleeced. My 66 galaxie will cost a fortune to restore. 50k minimum, but that's a very rare car being a 7litre convertible with a four speed. Our beloved chevy pickups are not rare. Just make sure your not getting $5000 worth of parts and $30000 in "labor" when they bill you.

Excellent advice. I feel fairly comfortable with the shop - they have some good references and appear very open. I do think a majority of the cost will be in labor - mostly because of exactly what you mentioned (these trucks not being rare, parts are fairly cheap, and I am not doing anything to it that hasn't been done a dozen times before).
Old 03-13-2014, 10:39 PM   #19
SS Tim

Quote:
Here is the SPID and what I have assumed is the original Purchase Order. I don't know why the mirrors "AAT" section is circled, or by whom it was circled as the SPID lists no mirror option.

Also - you are correct about the avatar looking incorrect. That is the truck. It has the optioned side moldings, but my dad has it repainted in the mid-80's and opted to add two-tone (which it did not have). The mirrors are also after-market, as this should have the tiny circle mirrors I believe.
The sheet is what is termed a "build sheet" by most people used by the factory to build your truck to order.
The mirrors are red circled as an inspection confirmation no more. You are correct the truck by not listing an option defaults to the short arm mirrors with the round head.

As I suspected might be the case the truck would be considered plain by many in its stock presentation. The 505 is a very industrial dark green non-metallic color. It was very popular on work trucks for a very long time.
However you have a couple of options that really work well with it. The chrome bumper, hubcaps and both bodyside moldings (black stripe lower) add a lot of flash and tie into the grill. Inside the truck is far from dark. The Z62 package was a mid-level trim that added chrome and flash too. The basic metal is the same 505 Dark Green as outside. Green padded door panels and dash pad add contrast but not much. The seat is a cloth and vinyl combination of three colors that looks great. Unfortunately it is not reproduced but the materials are available. While I could write more just going to this link will clear most things up for you on the interior.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s....php?p=6526874
A final note on the interior, carpet was an option available with the Z62 trim. So if wanted carpet could be used in place of a very hard to find green rubber floor mat, quieter too.

As far as adding a two-tone, the style on it is not correct in two ways. The Deluxe Two-Tone white side stripes were not offered until 71. The roof as painted mimics the earlier 67 style. To be correct the roof white would extend down to the body around all the glass including the windshield and doors.
If you wished to add two-tone paint a roof alone is the simplest and most common as well as being correct. A lesser seen option on pickups was the Special Two-Tone that included a white roof and the lower body (below the moldings) in white. This again would add a lot of correct but not original color to your truck project. Myself I'd go either solid green or the deluxe.

Adding front dics brakes is again a great idea but rears are not needed.
While it is easy to go wild on a driveline, a mild warrantied crate engine and a 700R4 overdrive automatic from Bowtie Overdrives is very hard to beat for a driver truck.
From there adding options is going to be a personal preference.
A/C should probably be at the top of your list to get more pleasure and general spousal approval. Hot trucks (inside) are hard to enjoy. Then this unleashes the question of adding a factory system (modified) or an aftermarket system. As I understand it the aftermarkets do not blend fresh air in and are basically a recirculating system only. Threads to read on that factory vs aftemarket subject aplenty.

As far a wheels, tires and relocating gas tanks go I would stay stock looking to keep the flavor of your truck. Oversize white steel wheels and chrome caps look great with that color IMHO.

Single exhaust was stock but there are advantages to duals as well as a larger bore single pipe.

There was no rear bumper as built and while still legal not really a good idea. A period step bumper is the most correct choice but again you could add the rear chromed bumper if you really had to.

Hope this helps and gives you food for thought. There is probably more I could add and of course specific questions are welcomed. PM for email or even a phone number if you wish.

Good luck on your adventure and remember planning makes it all easier and clearer with your shops. While $35-40K is a lot of money it can easily be more too. Problem is its hard to make a $0.50 return on your invested dollars so choose wisely and try to avoid fads.

Not all the pictures are exactly 505 but used to illustrate the color combinations better.
Attached Images

Last edited by SS Tim; 03-13-2014 at 10:55 PM.
SS Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 10:49 PM   #20
litew8

From one IT guy to another, keep the stock look but enhance the power a little. 290 is a little on the weak side. imho
Old 03-14-2014, 12:12 AM   #21
special-K
Special Order

I don't understand how any of us can tell you what you want. Just decide what you want and do it. That's my opinion.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 12:38 AM   #22
Jb70c10

For a DD I would recommend an overdrive tranny. A goos LS1/460 tranny set up would be the primo set up. Wish that's what I had
Jb70c10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 01:58 AM   #23
dajn
Account Suspended

Here is a different way to look at this. Look at the long box short box argument. It's like a blond against a brunette. You can't lose either way but we all have a preference. In your mind, you have your idea of what a perfect women is. Build a pickup that makes you happy. That's all that matters.
Old 03-14-2014, 06:20 AM   #24
bigmac73

as far as the paint and body , i would keep it the same style but maybe with a newer color of paint,
engine- remember the old addage or one HP per one Cubic Inch should be the baseline, so a 350 HP engine would be peppy but not too over the top,

and one more thing, those mirrors need to go , (sorry)
Progression Ignition /Holley 750 DP/3:73 gear Eaton Limited Slip unit / 2 1/2 exhaust glasspacks
bigmac73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 06:48 AM   #25
C10_ustacould
A day late and $1 short...

I think that due to your lack of mechanical knowledge you would do yourself a great service to keep the truck very near to stock. With that said, what is very near to stock? In my opinion it is anything that can be easily unbolted and returned to the factory configuration. A 350 "crate" engine with an Edelbrock carb and MSD ignition mated to a 700r4 transmission (overdrive) sending power to a 3.42 posi rear end would be a mild/dependable configuration that would be fun to drive. I too like a dropped truck but if you really want to drive it with out creating issues or cutting on your frame I'd stick with a 2/4 or 3/5 drop at most. Good quality shocks are a BIG must too, Ride Tech Q-Series shocks are killer and offer a option to the "bouncy" KYBs that most drop kits come with. I would keep the body and interior as close to factory as possible, sort of pay homage to your Pop and Grand-Pop. Oh, and don't forget BRAKES, don't give it more GO without giving it more WHOA! You've got a great truck with family history to start with, I hope you start a build thread so we can watch as you progress! HAVE FUN!!

Instagram: C10_ustacould

1963 SWB Fleet Side 528 Desert Beige
Milly

1967 SWB Step Side 506 Medium Blue
The Old Girl

1968 SWB Fleet Side 503 Light Green
Ellie SOLD

1965 SWB Fleet Side 507 Light Blue
Prescription Strength SOLD

1971 SWB Fleet Side 521 White
Shiro SOLD

1968 SWB Step Side 503 Light Green