The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1988 - 1998 GMT400 Chevy & GMC Pickups Message Board > projects and builds 88-98

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-20-2013, 11:25 AM   #1
Dobok

Lowering time

If a person wanted to lower their truck and still have a great comfortable ride(not using air) what would the answer be !!! 4-bar or some similiar setup like that. I am going to narrow the rear abit as I like the wider tires ---coil-overs come to mind but I think a 4 bar setup without air would be nice. I need some people to chime in about this as I have an injury and want to travel lots in the next truck I build !!! Any body that has had some sort of static drop and then switched to air even ,please tell me your story !! I dont want to waste my money on unnecessary stuff. Thaks to all that write in !!!
Dobok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 11:27 PM   #2
Dobok

Re: Lowering time

Anybody !!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 09-24-2013, 07:05 AM   #3
dragginmetal
here, just not logged in

I don't have any good answers for you, but i am curious how low do you want to go and what size tires for the 20s.
dragginmetal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 07:34 AM   #4
Dobok

Hey Dragginmetal; probably not as low as your name but I do want some room to play.I need some good height at times cause of the driveways and roads I expect to run into.As for tire size--good question---not really sure--Just know that they will fit and hoping to be wider in the rear cause I do love the big meats/but dont want to biuild a pro-street truck--want something to drive alot(i hope)Winters are cold here !!!
Old 09-24-2013, 08:02 AM   #5
Dobok

BTW--Nice pictures you posted---Also I might be headed your way this winter---I hear there is alot of nice trucks down there and I am looking for a nice clean one to start or one that has been started !! LOL
Old 09-24-2013, 10:57 PM   #6
dragginmetal
here, just not logged in

Glad you liked the pics. ..... I don't know how nice compared to everywhere else. Never been out of Texas. lol We are a Truck state though. You shouldn't have any problem finding one.
dragginmetal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 11:44 AM   #7
MalibuVLX

I have done static drops on 3 trucks, all short beds. 83, 89 and 67. Usually a 4/6 w C notch. All 3 rode and handled better after the swap. I use lowering spindles, so I can get aligned and either flip the rear or use lowering brackets. (done both) I don't have any experience w/ bags, but very happy w/ the 3 I have done.
Pics of 83 are before and after. Running Boss 338 18" on all four corners.
Used lower brackets on 83 and flipped rear axle on the 89. 89 sits a little lower all the way around.
Attached Images

MalibuVLX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 01:35 PM   #8
Dobok

Hey MalibuVLX; Thanks for your response.I do appreciate it alot as you can never get enuff info on anything nowadays !!!Btw--Nice looking trucks too !!!
Old 02-18-2014, 08:26 PM   #9
61_FL_Apache
Who Me?

I plan to use 2" drop springs on the front and 2" drop shackles on the rear of my 97 Tahoe. I expect it to ride about the same when done.

1997 Tahoe LT 4D 2WD (DD)
1961 Apache 10 (sold)
1965 C10 Stepper (sold)
61_FL_Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 06:36 PM   #10
Kudzupatch

I realize this is an older thread but I thought I would chime in with my experience. I bought a Suburban but we share a lot of the same hardware. I was looking looking for a Suburban to build when I found this one.

It was lowered with 2" drop spindles and (I assume) 2" lowering springs too.

The rear end has a flip kit and new spring hangers along with the notch kit on the frame. It also has a set of manual air bags with no pump, just a hidden filler valve.

When I got it, it had a couple of issues. It is running stock wheels and standard sized tires. On moderately hard bumps the rear would bottom out. the front tires would scrub the inner fenders. They would also scrub on the fender opening when you turned a tight curve and hit much of bump.

I fixed the leak in the rear air bags and put 10-15 lbs in them most of the time. No bottoming out except on the worst of bumps. It really needs new bump stops, those on it are way to thin.

I put a 1" lift in the front, then replaced the tires with 2" shorter dia. so it is back at the same ride height.

Now with all the bugs fixed it rides like a dream! That little bit of air in the bags makes a huge difference in the ride. Amazingly smooth. I travel in it some and I find it as comfortable ride as anything I have had.

Cornering it much better than I expected from such a big heavy vehicle too. I recently replaced the worn sway bar bushings with polyurethane and that made a noticeable difference too.

Kudzupatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 07:08 PM   #11
Dobok

Just wanted to say this= That is one great looking truck !!!! Nice job on the fixes and hope it rides good for years to come too !!
Old 02-26-2014, 12:35 PM   #12
Kudzupatch

Thanks, I am pretty proud of it. Wife swears I am going to wash the paint off of it.
Kudzupatch is offline   Reply With Quote