The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Engine & Drivetrain > Diesel Conversions

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-21-2013, 07:39 AM   #1
RatRod68

My 1st Cummins...

I decided I would start a thread on my other truck. This truck was my daily, but now the boss lady drives it, and I drive the fuel saver. (went from 120 bucks a week in fuel to 40)

Here she is the day I bought it

I drove by this truck everyday at the stealership, and finally couldn't contain myself anymore. I had always liked the 2nd gen trucks, and this one was exactly what I wanted. 24V, aftermarket lift pump, black, auto, good mileage, very clean, QCSB, camper special. I also bought an extended warranty to cover all the mechanicals for 4 more years or 48k miles.

Well, shortly after buying it, I noticed that the interior lights were screwed up. The map lights don't work, and the overhead light will stay on if there is a bulb in it. I immediately replaced both door switches (they are only 8 bucks) and the dash switch (freebee) with one I knew was good. Still doesn't work. Map lights are gone. I did read a thread on CF about changing the map lights
(http://www.cumminsforum.com/forum/98...check-out.html) but I don't have a soldering iron, so i haven't done it yet.

Then, 3 days after I buy it, I have my first car accident since I was 16.

Well, there is a silver lining in everything, or at least I try to think there is, so I didn't let it get me down. I turned it into the insurance company, and went and grabbed all the parts myself. I'm not a fan of reproduction parts, so I went junk yard shopping and snagged an OEM bumper, brackets, and diesel fender. I went with repop plastics because its tough to find any in good condition, and what do you know, they fit like crap. Oh well. Never been a fan of the yellow headlights, so I picked up a new pair from ebay for less than the price of a factory replacement. (The trick to ebay lights is to seal them with silicone once you receive them. I've ran these for many different vehicles and as long as you seal them, they are great.) Also got a killer deal on a billet grille insert set, so threw that in too.

All fixed!

The truck had 285s on it when i bought it, and they were in good shape, but some no name tire brand and the tires just looked small. So i traded them for a set of H2s with brand new tires. Had a buddy machine the centers, i picked up a set of 3rd gen center caps, masked everything off, painted, and cleared.

Ahhh... She was perfect. Exactly what I wanted. Sharp, clean, reliable truck that could tow my crawler and get better than 8 mpg doing it.
D-Ranged Ford Ranger on steroids

Semper Fi
RatRod68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 07:49 AM   #2
RatRod68

Re: My 1st Cummins...

Then about 3 months later, the transmission started acting up, so i took it in. Turned out to be some governor switch thing in the transmission. That was covered, so no biggie. Not to mention when we dropped the pan, metal shavings were all in it... Well, 2 weeks later, starts doing it again...

Now the truck will have moments when it won't start. Turn the key to On, everything works like normal, turn to start, nothing. Starter was replaced by the dealership when I bought it. This has happened a total of 5 times, 3 to me, 2 to my GF. If you wait a few minutes, or just keep shutting the truck of and trying to start it, it will all the sudden fire right back up.

That brings us to ANOTHER issue... The door locks will go bazerk for no reason. Driving down the road, then all the sudden the locks will switch between lock and unlock all on their own. This gets to be really annoying... really quickly...

You thought I was done complaining about electrical issues with this truck didn't you? Negative. The last issue is the brake controller. It will just go bazerk like the door locks. won't even be hitting the brakes or anything, then all the sudden you can hear it switch on, then off, then on, then off.

Semper Fi
Old 05-21-2013, 07:55 AM   #3
RatRod68

Well... I just now noticed I posted this in the diesel conversions section

Mod, can you please move this to the proper location?

Semper Fi
Old 05-22-2013, 08:51 PM   #4
Dieselwrencher
6>8 Plugless........

Josh, it sure is a nice truck! Was the truck ever in a flood or does the windshield leak anywhere?
1972 Chevy Cheyenne Super K20 Long Step side tilt, tach, tow hooks, AC, 350 4 speed
1972 C10 Suburban Custom Deluxe
1969 Chevy milk truck
1971 Camaro RS 5.3 BTR STG3 Cam Super T10
1940 Ford 354 Hemi 46RH Ford 9" on air ride huge project

Tired of spark plugs? Check this out.
Dieselwrencher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 06:42 AM   #5
RatRod68

Thanks Ryan! No not at all.

Also should note that my fuel pressure gauge doesn't work either. It had a "T" off one of the fuel lines running directly into the cab, but it has never worked since I bought it.

Semper Fi