The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Engine & Drivetrain > Diesel Conversions

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-13-2013, 01:19 PM   #1
white4x4

Red face 1966 suburban or buy a blazer

Hey yall! Im new here long time lurker though. Im stuck though this summer I will finish buying a 1966 c10 suburban. I am inlove with her already xD but i also seen a blazer with a 1967 front clip and i must say she has caught my attention. I pay buy them both. One will have to.wait til the other is driving and running. Question on the burb i plan.on making it 4x4 with at least 33 inch tires probably a 4 inch lift. Not.sure yet but i need a good daily driver currently have a 2000 honda civic stock everything so not a power junkie the moment. Just looking for something to get good mpg. Intrested in both a 4.8,5.3 gasser or 6.2 diesel. Sorry for the crappy typing im on my phone. My girlfriend isn't much help either but atleast she is up for it. This will be a slow budget build but hopefully not 7 years slow. For either project goal is 1st safe dependable driver. Would love to hear any ideas or informatjon! Thanks guys. Ill try to upload pics.
Posted via Mobile Device

Last edited by white4x4; 03-13-2013 at 01:33 PM.
white4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 01:32 PM   #2
white4x4

Re: 1966 suburban or buy a blazer

http://m1354.photobucket.com/albumvi...ac2a0.jpg.html

Ill add more photos to it
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-13-2013, 07:57 PM   #3
Dieselwrencher
6>8 Plugless........

Obviously from your options, I'd say go with a 6.2. They do get great mileage, and it will bolt in with similar components to a SBC or BBC as far as frame mounts and trans cross members.
1972 Chevy Cheyenne Super K20 Long Step side tilt, tach, tow hooks, AC, 350 4 speed
1972 C10 Suburban Custom Deluxe
1969 Chevy milk truck
1971 Camaro RS 5.3 BTR STG3 Cam Super T10
1940 Ford 354 Hemi 46RH Ford 9" on air ride huge project

Tired of spark plugs? Check this out.
Dieselwrencher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 08:07 PM   #4
white4x4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieselwrencher View Post
Obviously from your options, I'd say go with a 6.2. They do get great mileage, and it will bolt in with similar components to a SBC or BBC as far as frame mounts and trans cross members.

Thanks for responding! Your build is awesome man.
I hear alot of mixed reviews about the 6.2 some say it is good some say it is bad. I heard 83 6.2s are the best but any years i should look out for and any thing i should look for with the engine to tell me if it is good or not? Someone said check for bubbles in the radiator when it is running? Hmmm now time to pick which to build first
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-13-2013, 08:15 PM   #5
Dieselwrencher
6>8 Plugless........

Quote:
Originally Posted by white4x4 View Post
Thanks for responding! Your build is awesome man.
I hear alot of mixed reviews about the 6.2 some say it is good some say it is bad. I heard 83 6.2s are the best but any years i should look out for and any thing i should look for with the engine to tell me if it is good or not? Someone said check for bubbles in the radiator when it is running? Hmmm now time to pick which to build first
Posted via Mobile Device
No problem, and thanks. I'm not going to try to BS you and say I know lots about the 6.2's and 6.5's. I have modded a couple over the years, but not many just because they don't live modded like I tend to. But, the bubbles in the radiator would indicate a blown head gasket/cracked head. Another thing to look for is blow by. Pop off the oil fill cap and see how much haze or smoke comes out of there while the engine is running. There normally is none to a faint haze. If it's puffing or pouring out of there, run to the next one. Also, before starting one while looking, pop the hood and touch the engine. I like to feel the exhaust manifolds. Make sure it's cold. Usually people start them before you get there to look at them so you don't see that it won't start with out ether and is completely worn out. There are a lot of knowledgable guys on here that mess with the 6.2's. Hopefully they chime in for you.
1972 Chevy Cheyenne Super K20 Long Step side tilt, tach, tow hooks, AC, 350 4 speed
1972 C10 Suburban Custom Deluxe
1969 Chevy milk truck
1971 Camaro RS 5.3 BTR STG3 Cam Super T10
1940 Ford 354 Hemi 46RH Ford 9" on air ride huge project

Tired of spark plugs? Check this out.
Dieselwrencher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 08:23 PM   #6
white4x4

Thanks for your help ill defiantly look out for that. I had a line on one or so i thought until the guy said $6000 i just smiled shook his hand thanked him for letting me look and left. Thought to myself if i was going to spend that much might try a cummins or a dmax.ill just keep my eye out.
Posted via Mobile Device