The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Engine & Drivetrain > Diesel Conversions

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-16-2013, 08:59 AM   #1
Ackattack

New catagory of builds: Pro-Towing

Last night I read an article in Classic Truck about a 67 SWB truck that was built in the Pro-Touring style with a lot of the fun stuff that my 68 SWB has. Obviously Pro-touring has been around for awhile now and of course we've all heard of Pro-street.

I then headed out to the garage to work on my crew cab, and it dawned on me. How about Pro-Towing So the basics of a Pro-Towing rig: old truck set up for towing with modern amenities (A/C, keyless entry, etc, etc). I would say "typically" a Pro-towing rig would have a diesel engine in it, but I suppose a large gasser would also qualify.

I don't think my crew cab is old enough to really fit into this category, but thought I'd throw it out. What do you all think
Ackattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 09:20 AM   #2
meatwagon83

Re: New catagory of builds: Pro-Towing

sounds cool
Old 04-16-2013, 03:54 PM   #3
Dieselwrencher
6>8 Plugless........

I like it. I'd call my Longhorn that. But, it only tows boxes right now. Haha
1972 Chevy Cheyenne Super K20 Long Step side tilt, tach, tow hooks, AC, 350 4 speed
1972 C10 Suburban Custom Deluxe
1969 Chevy milk truck
1971 Camaro RS 5.3 BTR STG3 Cam Super T10
1940 Ford 354 Hemi 46RH Ford 9" on air ride huge project

Tired of spark plugs? Check this out.
Dieselwrencher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 09:27 PM   #4
v-man

It's all about towing with the guys I hang with. My tree service buddy is always pushing the envelope with with tree loads. Even the bad boy trucks cry with some of his loads. I'd love to have a truck he couldn't outload. he's got a 2012 dodge manual with everything deleted and tuned. It's a beast. It's hard to make a all around Rig that can do it all.
v-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 10:37 PM   #5
6BT 56

Oh ya im in . My 05 ram is a super truck for the what i have put it thru. But a built truck is for sure cooler. There is a 68 fire truck for sale near me. Gmc just a cab and chassis now. 427 gas. 5 spd i assume and a 2 spd rear. no rust at all. RARE for this neck of the woods. Only 12000 mi on it to boot. How cool would that be with a common rail 6 spd combo, the 2 spd rear , and a real nice flat bed with some tool boxes etc. There only asking $3500 . Thats ok but the rest of the $20,000 to build it is way out of my reach !!!
New 2018 ram 3500 drw 4x4. Makes my 2005 Look as if it's been running on 4 cyl since new !
My Build http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=556908
6BT 56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 10:50 PM   #6
meatwagon83

my truck will be getting a 6bt and a built 4l80e
Old 04-22-2013, 12:09 AM   #7
jbclassix
Junk Yartist

I'm late to this party, but That's cool! Kinda what we are building for my brother!

YOU ONLY FAIL IF YOU STOP TRYING

70 Crew Cab Build Link

70 GMC Suburban 4X4 build thread

95 Yukon Daily Driver

Rebuilding an NP205
jbclassix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 08:15 AM   #8
ryanroo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieselwrencher View Post
I like it. I'd call my Longhorn that. But, it only tows boxes right now. Haha
im right there with ya. one day it should be a pro at doing something besides eating $100 bills, hahaha

ryanroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 10:44 AM   #9
jbclassix
Junk Yartist

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanroo View Post
im right there with ya. one day it should be a pro at doing something besides eating $100 bills, hahaha
It's garage art

70 Crew Cab Build Link

95 Yukon Daily Driver

Rebuilding an NP205
Old 04-23-2013, 06:11 PM   #10
MrBeast
high-Tech Red Neck

You know ever truck I have built in the last 6 years has fallen under this category.

I think you are really on to something, I am adopting it! I am going to start working on an article and submit it to the site and see if we can get it on the front page.
Old 04-23-2013, 07:06 PM   #11
MrBeast
high-Tech Red Neck

I am thinking about what I see this category coming down to, trucks specifically built to pull and pull hard,

Generally equipped with:
  • Diesel engines or a EFI big block
  • Larger than standard fuel tanks
  • Tool boxes or beds setup for towing and plenty of storage for tools and gear.
  • Heavy duty hitches
  • Dual rear wheels (some exceptions)
  • Overload springs, air assist or air ride
  • Creature comforts, plush seats, cruise control, sound insulation ect.
  • 10,000 GVWR or greater.
  • CB/HAM radios
  • Navigation systems
  • Truck/Trailer painted to match.

That is the list I have, you all have any more suggestions?
Old 04-23-2013, 08:07 PM   #12
6lcummins

[*]Dual rear wheels (some exceptions)

This would rule out some semi's and not all 1 tons are DRW, but the 10,000 GVWR would probably be sufficient. wouldn't it?
6lcummins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 08:59 PM   #13
ryanroo

Like pro touring, i think the idea would be a do all truck that excels as a towing rig. not necessarily a tow only rig.

i agree with the general feeling of the list but offered my opinions on a few items, and a few of them are pretty open to interpretation, which i like!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBeast View Post
I am thinking about what I see this category coming down to, trucks specifically built to pull and pull hard,

Generally equipped with:
  • Diesel engines or a EFI big block
  • Larger than standard fuel tanks
  • Tool boxes or beds setup for towing and plenty of storage for tools and gear.
  • Heavy duty hitches
  • Dual rear wheels (some exceptions) i like duallys but by no means does it have to have duals to be a sufficient tow rig
  • Overload springs, air assist or air ride
  • Creature comforts, plush seats, cruise control, sound insulation ect.
  • 10,000 GVWR or greater. gonna be hard to qualify with any of the older "built" trucks. mine has that capability but is tagged for what the factory rated it
  • CB/HAM radios personally not concerned with what the rest of the world has to squak about. i may consisder a CB at some point.
  • Navigation systems Not necessary IMO. i have a nice atlas and a inborn urge to see the world from the backroads. plus if i get to screwed i have a smartphone. but id be lying if i hadnt considered a GPS
  • Truck/Trailer painted to match. no way. i have no desire to have a trailer that no one will ever want to buy because its color matched. leave that for the OTR guys.

ryanroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 09:34 PM   #14
jbclassix
Junk Yartist

I have used GPS for in metropolis areas, but I prefer a good old map with some old fashioned planning. A think a dedicated tow rig would be able to pull a plethora of trailers, not just one. But who am I to talk. It took me almost 2 years to save up enough money to go get my busted trailer with my busted dually
Posted via Mobile Device

70 Crew Cab Build Link

95 Yukon Daily Driver

Rebuilding an NP205
Old 04-23-2013, 11:03 PM   #15
Ackattack

I just use my phone for navigation, and I'm going to get a stereo with bluetooth for hands free calling.

Since mine is a crew cab, I'm also going to add a DVD player in the back for the kiddos as well as a mounted inverter.

Since I'm going to have air bags, I'm adding an air tank and compressor

I would also say that larger brakes could be added to the list. Helps with towing and compensate for the larger tires (and maybe wheels).

I actually put a smaller fuel tank in mine. When I converted to a shortbed, I had to use a shortbed tank.

I didn't see A/C on your list either.
Old 04-23-2013, 11:28 PM   #16
Ackattack

I now own www.pro-towing.org

Maybe I'll set up a forum or something on it

Last edited by Ackattack; 04-24-2013 at 08:34 AM.
Old 04-24-2013, 01:36 AM   #17
meatwagon83

Quote:

Generally equipped with:
  • Diesel engines or a EFI big block-- im converting to diesel
  • Larger than standard fuel tanks--i have two 20 gallon tanks, i figure that would be enough
  • Tool boxes or beds setup for towing and plenty of storage for tools and gear.--i have a tool box with straps chain come-a-long etc
  • Heavy duty hitches- 2.5" reese, gooseneck ball
  • Dual rear wheels (some exceptions)-yup
  • Overload springs, air assist or air ride-yup
  • Creature comforts, plush seats, cruise control, sound insulation ect.a couple things, not much other than a nice stereo and xm satellite i like a spartan interior
  • 10,000 GVWR or greater.-rated at 10k
  • CB/HAM radios-40 channel cobra
  • Navigation systems-truckers atlas under the seat, google maps on my phone
  • Truck/Trailer painted to match. -too many things to tow to match paint

im pretty close on this!
Old 04-24-2013, 02:01 AM   #18
MrBeast
high-Tech Red Neck

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanroo View Post
Like pro touring, i think the idea would be a do all truck that excels as a towing rig. not necessarily a tow only rig.

Dual rear wheels (some exceptions) i like duallys but by no means does it have to have duals to be a sufficient tow rig

10,000 GVWR or greater. gonna be hard to qualify with any of the older "built" trucks. mine has that capability but is tagged for what the factory rated it
Like I said some exceptions, a 3/4 ton and SRW 1 ton can be a good tow rig, but it is not hard to push them to their limitations and beyond. In order for a 3/4 ton to fall into this category I think that it would have to be beefed up, extra springs, heavy axles, ect. a LD 3/4 ton really doesn't cut the mustard here because it is a glorified half ton.

My 2000 GMC has a GVWR of 10,000 lbs, my 72 14,000 lbs.

I forget that the SRW 1 ton in a 88-98 is only rated at 9000 Lbs. Looking through your build thread (which I somehow missed) I can see that when your truck is done it will be perfectly capable of doing anything a 1 ton can do, and really id say it falls into the spirit of what we are talking about here.

I am going to say if someone calls a 1/2 ton a "Pro-Towing" truck I'm going to laugh at them!

Quote:
CB/HAM radios personally not concerned with what the rest of the world has to squak about. i may consisder a CB at some point.
I like my Ham radio, we call it CB for grownups!

Quote:
Navigation systems Not necessary IMO. i have a nice atlas and a inborn urge to see the world from the backroads. plus if i get to screwed i have a smartphone. but id be lying if i hadnt considered a GPS
I have no issue with that, but I can say I started using GPS back in 2006, I have not looked back since, I have learned how to use the atlas on my computer to program it, has made my life so much easier, it allows me to plan my trips exactly like I want them to go down, and using sites like GasBuddy.com I am able to find the cheap fuel and save money.

I also often take back roads, The GPS is great on em because when I program a route I don't miss a turn or get lost, used to use it to get around all the toll ways in Illinois and around the weigh stations when I was trucking. They are a great tool, but like any tool they are no better than the idiot using em!

[\quote]i agree with the general feeling of the list but offered my opinions on a few items, and a few of them are pretty open to interpretation, which i like![/QUOTE]

I think there is a lot of interpretation to be had, and really what it boils down to what your needs are in a tow vehicle.

One thing I do insist on, and this is just me with about a million miles of towing experience behind me in everything from a Jeep to a 8 axle semi and one hell of a lot in between, if I had my druthers id outlaw towing anything more than a single axle trailer with a 1/2 ton truck. I have seen too many wrecks and had a few close calls of my own that had I been a lesser driver would have been really nasty because of too little tow vehicle.

Now the only thing I will run as a tow vehicle is a dually because of how much better they handle a trailer than a SRW. But I also understand not everyone needs one, nor can everyone stomach paying for 6 tires at a time!
Old 04-24-2013, 02:02 AM   #19
MrBeast
high-Tech Red Neck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ackattack View Post
I now own www.pro-touring.org

Maybe I'll set up a forum or something on it
Didn't you mean to get Pro-Towing.org?
Old 04-24-2013, 02:11 AM   #20
MrBeast
high-Tech Red Neck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ackattack View Post
I just use my phone for navigation, and I'm going to get a stereo with bluetooth for hands free calling.

Since mine is a crew cab, I'm also going to add a DVD player in the back for the kiddos as well as a mounted inverter.
If you get the wireless head sets you will be glad you did. Just make sure you also can charge them in the truck.

Quote:
Since I'm going to have air bags, I'm adding an air tank and compressor

I would also say that larger brakes could be added to the list. Helps with towing and compensate for the larger tires (and maybe wheels).

I actually put a smaller fuel tank in mine. When I converted to a shortbed, I had to use a shortbed tank.
What I recommend is something like this:

Or this:

The top half is a tool box, the bottom half a 60 gallon fuel tank. That will get you some range.

I am also going to run pork chop boxes to give me some extra storage over the wheel wells in what is normally dead space.

Quote:
I didn't see A/C on your list either.
A/C is also a must. Well unless you are in Canada.
Old 04-24-2013, 02:11 AM   #21
MrBeast
high-Tech Red Neck

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbclassix View Post
I have used GPS for in metropolis areas, but I prefer a good old map with some old fashioned planning. A think a dedicated tow rig would be able to pull a plethora of trailers, not just one. But who am I to talk. It took me almost 2 years to save up enough money to go get my busted trailer with my busted dually
Posted via Mobile Device
I absolutely agree, you shouldn't be married to just one trailer.
Old 04-24-2013, 05:50 AM   #22
v-man

Great comments on towing. Here's my 2 cents worth-all I have since I line-xed the bottom part of my Burb. But gravel bounces right off. Having owned a 99 f350 dually flatbed with gooseneck and receiver hitch 7.3 manual with a chip(makes all the difference in the world) 13500 gvwr. First off, in my opinion manuals are king for towing, auto's are nice in town. You just can't beat the stability of a dually when towing big weight. My problem was in Iowa if your gvwr is over 10,000 you legally have to stop at the scale and that s--- gets real old. They can always find something if they want. Now in this economy they've moved in town and are preying on the poor guy busting his ass who owns a truck with a gvwr thats rated over 10000 and not doing something right that he dosen't know about, like having flares, fire extinguisher, annual DOT inspection, and on and on. Anyway back to towing. That f350 was a towing beast, but way to many headaches. So I had the Diesel wrencher convert the V-Rig with a cummins. Older 3/4 trucks GVWR are all under 10000 so no worries. I would think that most of these frankensteins should be safe from the DOT. So in closing Manuals are King, the more power the better, and if your towing in IOWA my best wishes, Now if I could just figure out a gooseneck for the V-Rig
Old 04-24-2013, 06:13 AM   #23
v-man

Sorry, I'm just venting. 1 more thing. In Iowa, when you go to the DMV- Department of motor vehicles to register your truck they issue a standard 3 ton registration unless you specifically ask for more tonnage. Thats right boys and girls your truck registration not even going to cover the weight of your truck if you get stopped needless to say the 14k you got hooked on. It gets real expensive i a hurry. Not mention you need a Class A CDL if your over 26,000 total weight. And that 13 ton licence isn't cheap either. If your not towing for hire I'm not sure how the law applies. And just for more fodder, State farm insurance considers a F-350 dually a commercial vehicle and stick it to you on the premium. Oh well that all in the past, And I just smile when I'm sailing by the scales now
Old 04-24-2013, 08:45 AM   #24
Ackattack

Quote:
Didn't you mean to get Pro-Towing.org?
Ooops...typo...I fixed it

After re-condsidering it, I think my truck is a "pro-towing" truck. I was thinking it should be truck vintages should be defined as those that were not available with direct injection diesels (with the exception of the "1st gen" dodges, since they are getting pretty old anyways) So that is up to 2000 for us GM guys, 93 for Dodge, and I don't know when F*&d went to direct injection (mid 90s I think)
Old 04-27-2013, 10:01 AM   #25
Ackattack

Pro-towing forum is up and running

http://protowing.yuku.com/