The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Engine & Drivetrain > Diesel Conversions

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-30-2013, 09:08 PM   #1
gerfunken

Question using a Dodge NP241DLD X-fer case

Ok, quick question for you guys. As I'm finalizing the items for my conversion, I've come up with a question....

I'm looking at leveraging the entire 94 Dodge driveline for the swap, this means going with the Dodge NP241DLD transfer case. As such, I've noticed that it has an electronic sending unit for the speedometer. How can I convert that to mechanical?

I've seen a couple of references on other sites of finding an 89 NP241 and switching out the tail housing, but I'm not sure that that would be the most economical approach (but maybe it is.... who knows until you get a couple of answers.) I'm really not interested in dropping 8 bills and converting my gage cluster over to a dakota digital (insert other vendor of overpriced instrument clusters here.)

Anyway, looking for a couple of hints, and any leads would be appreciated.

1972 Chevy K20
Picture Gallery
Build Thread

1930 Chevy AD
Picture Gallery

1929 Ford Model-A
Picture Gallery

1975 Triumph TR-6
Picture Gallery
gerfunken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 04:56 PM   #2
legendman

Re: Question using a Dodge NP241DLD X-fer case

So your going to use the dodge axles?

I used a dodge np205 out of a earlier truck, bolted right on the 47rh with the right coupler.
Trouble is the coupler is 23 spline, tough to find and expensive.

With the dodge np205 I am able to keep my GM 1-ton axles and not have to deal with fuss of swapping axles
Originally Posted by smackzed View Post
I put a chevrolet tailgate on my last truck and it started acting like a girl...love me, need me, want me pay attention to me. Took it off and put the GMC back on (fixed the latch) and it went back to being the same old dirty bastard it used to be
legendman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 07:14 PM   #3
gerfunken

Quote:
Originally Posted by legendman View Post
So your going to use the dodge axles?

I used a dodge np205 out of a earlier truck, bolted right on the 47rh with the right coupler.
Trouble is the coupler is 23 spline, tough to find and expensive.

With the dodge np205 I am able to keep my GM 1-ton axles and not have to deal with fuss of swapping axles
Ya, I'm planning on it. I've been watching the diesel section for a while and I also have a friend that does some serious rock crawling with a custom buggy. One of the big things that I've seen discussed is the what part is off of what syndrome. I figured that while I could piece everything together, it would potentially make my life much more simple if I could just know that body/interior/exterior was 1972 Chevy K-20, and everything related to the driveline was 1994 Dodge 2500.

But, as I'm going through my punch list, I'm realizing that I'm still going to end up with a couple of questionable items along the way. The Dodge, for instance, probably has one of the worst front axle configurations I've seen, with the vacuum assisted 4x4 engagement and no free-spin hubs. In my mind that leaves a couple of really weak points that I'd like to address, but those come with additional modifications.

Now, the reality is that I'm into the Dodge for about 5500 at this point... to me that means that I've got an engine, tranny, transfer case, front and rear axles from a matching truck (plus I can pull out any additional things I may need along the way.) I can either scrap or part out the body to recoup some of the cost. I'll also have the SM465, NP205, and 4.10 geared D44 and H052 that I can sell off as well. I'm not looking to completely recoup my cost, but I'll be able to get a little bit back.

Finally, the HO Crate 350 that I've got in the truck today will end up going on a stand for two years while I get things lined up for my 1930 Chevy 3-window coupe that I've got sitting in my garage.

All in all, I think I've thought most of this through. I know that some will agree, and others have different opinions, which I'm fine with... I just think I did the right thing for me at this point.

1972 Chevy K20
Picture Gallery
Build Thread

1930 Chevy AD
Picture Gallery

1929 Ford Model-A
Picture Gallery

1975 Triumph TR-6
Picture Gallery
gerfunken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 05:14 PM   #4
ryanroo

Yes there are options. DD also has a convertor box that will convert your electronic signal to a cable output.

Jb Conversions has a tailhousing conversion kit that also includes a cable drive output. it converts the sip yoke to a fixed if that is something you are wanting or are ok with.

personally, i want the DD dash. the options it affords makes it worth the price to me. it just depends if i have the money or not...

as far as playing the guess where it came from game, i know what you mean. but considering the lack of awesome in the dodge front axle, i think i would toss it. plus it will be a bit of a PITA to make it work in the chevy unless you are going to try to convert the chev to a link coil set up similar to the dodge.

my truck is a total guessing game but i know what and where it all came from so i dont care. i need to write it all down so its not lost somewhere in my head in the future but thats no big deal to me.

my perfect solution was to find a 78-79 ford d60. it bolts in to the GM springs perfectly and allows the use of the np241 so you dont have to fight the exhaust through the 205.

ryan

ryanroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 05:35 PM   #5
Dieselwrencher
6>8 Plugless........

I'm using a Dodge NP241DHD and rotating it to the pass side. I will be modifying the oil pick up according. I will be doing this in the next couple of weeks and will post pics in my thread. I know guys that have done this in first gen dodges with high HP pullers and they live so I'm not worried of ill oiling issues. Also, if you get the speedo gear adapter from any older dodge with a 727, this will work in a 47RH, 241DLD and 241DHD. You should be able to find one cheap in any salvage yard.
1972 Chevy Cheyenne Super K20 Long Step side tilt, tach, tow hooks, AC, 350 4 speed
1972 C10 Suburban Custom Deluxe
1969 Chevy milk truck
1971 Camaro RS 5.3 BTR STG3 Cam Super T10
1940 Ford 354 Hemi 46RH Ford 9" on air ride huge project

Tired of spark plugs? Check this out.
Dieselwrencher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 09:56 PM   #6
84chevyguyid

I had a friend piece together a transfer case for my build. I found a pass drop 241 out of a 90 suburban and thats what I started with. I started with a 2 wheel drive crew cab and found some 1990 dodge one ton axles with the 3.55 gears to put under it. That gave me a pass side pumpkin. Anyway I ended up sticking an 06 allison from a duramax behind my 12 valve so my friend was able to find an input shaft from a 261 or 263 transfer case that had the allison splines and would fit the bearing in my 241 case then he was able to find a tail housing that fit the 241 that has the mechanical speedo drive. The output shaft is set up for the tone wheel for the speed sensor and I had to narrow up a speedometer gear a touch on each end and then it fit the shaft. Maybe go to the local trans shop and see if they can come up with the right pieces to build what you need. It seems like the mechanical speedo case parts were from a dodge but I cant recall the year but it seems like it was only a one year setup so it might be a little hard to find.
84chevyguyid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 05:34 PM   #7
Dieselwrencher
6>8 Plugless........

Just to add some info on this thread............ This is pertaining to Dodge 241's

1994 to early 98 241DLD's have a speedo gear with an electronic sensor in the tail housing.

There are some 241DHD's with a small out put shaft. These have 2 piece tail housings.

1997 V10 and some 360 trucks had 241DHD's with a one piece tail housing that has the speedo set up. Pretty hard to find them.

98 up DLD's and DHD's have no speedo provisions.
1972 Chevy Cheyenne Super K20 Long Step side tilt, tach, tow hooks, AC, 350 4 speed
1972 C10 Suburban Custom Deluxe
1969 Chevy milk truck
1971 Camaro RS 5.3 BTR STG3 Cam Super T10
1940 Ford 354 Hemi 46RH Ford 9" on air ride huge project

Tired of spark plugs? Check this out.
Dieselwrencher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 08:34 PM   #8
Ackattack

I used the entire dodge drivetrain in my truck (12v/nv4500/241dld/d60/d80) Now my truck is a 97, so I have an electronic speedometer. What I did was use the rear axle abs pickup for the speedo signal and used a digital dakota converter box to adjust it so the speedo reads correctly.

I also used another digital dakota box to make my tach work using a lead that I wired into the dodge alternator
Ackattack is offline   Reply With Quote