The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-02-2004, 11:17 AM   #1
72c5

Converting a 4wd into a 2wd w/ IFS, trailing arms and coils all the wau around

Hi Blazerless here! Been looking for a 70-72 2wd for summertime fun for the family......Been looking for a couple months, clearly there are not many 2wd's out there.......

I'm looking for a 2wd primarily for ride quality, plus that, i have no need for 4wd.......I wouldn't be driving in sand, snow, mud or offroad........I'd rather go the Blazer route than the convertible, say a Cutlass or Camaro.......Blazer is much better for those Home Depot runs!

So anyway, enough blabbing.............

Do I keep looking for that rare 2wd, or do I buy a decent 4wd and dig into the conversion?

Gonna end up doing a mini resto, and I don't think I care about the matching #'s issue........

And, since I will end up probably replacing every wear item in the suspension, maybe I should consider converting a 4wd.......

Unfortunately, it is not like 2wd donor frames/chassis are easy to find either.......probably have to convert the 4wd frame......which probably means the body has to come off?

So, do I keep looking for that 2wd, or condider conversion?

Gordo
72c5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2004, 03:01 PM   #2
Leinie

I'd give myself a time frame- say a month. Keep looking for 2wd, but watch the 4x4's for a good deal. It will also give you time to look into the cost of converting. Look for donor trucks, parts and people who have already done the swap to give you tips.
You're here so you already have a good start ! There are lot's of guys here that can help .
Welcome and Good Luck !
Leinie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2004, 05:02 PM   #3
K5 Blazer
Blazerologist

Right on , and good luck!!! 2wd's are rare, and even more rare now a days. Almost 7 out of 10 2wd's that come through our shop are 4x4 conversions . . . ???

When you are ready to convert one (which I hate to do). Give us a call.

I agree definitely, give yourself a time frame. The good comes to those who wait . . . My 1971 C5 CST w/Air fell into my lap after almost a year of looking (NOT FOR SALE).

And be very carefull when buying a 2wd, a lot of times even the owner does't know they had the wool over thier eyes when they bought one. Folks are selling conversions at 2wd prices (NOT RIGHT).
Old 01-02-2004, 05:10 PM   #4
K5 Blazer
Blazerologist

Here are some tips . . .

Two quick ways to check if your 2wd is REAL.

1 - Most guys just convert the front and flip the rear. Which means the rear suspension will have leaf springs. All 2wd's came with coil rear suspension in these years (69-72) . . .

2 - This is the most important, in some states can even hurt you.

The VIN number. The first 1-3 numbers are what you look out for . . .

example - CKE--------- is a (C) - California (K)- 4x4 (E)- V8 (not as important as the first 2, but you usually would atleast want a V8 Blazer to start with - yes they made 6 cyl/4x4 ones too - very rare but the did).

Not all will have that first letter (C) and the 6Cyl code is (S).

Then your pize is either CCE or CE (C)- California (C)- Conventional - or in our terms 2wd (E) - V8 ( the E is luxury in the 2wd about a 60/40 ratio of them built, your chances of finding an original 8 are not as almost impossible of finding a true 2wd).
Old 01-03-2004, 12:31 AM   #5
Gee_Emm
Account Suspended

Another easy way to confirm 2wd originality is to check to see that the frame vin matches the body vin.
Gee_Emm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2004, 02:34 AM   #6
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

Here are a few-
72 2wd Blazer
70 2wd Blazer
70 2wd Blazer'
72 2wd Blazer
72 2wd Blazer

I don't mean any disrespect, but you need to look a little harder if you really want a 2wd Blazer....

Articles-

"Jake" the 84 to 74 crewcab

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"
N2TRUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2004, 12:11 AM   #7
Leinie

Who know's if those are original or converts, and di you see the prices ? There was one for $3500. I hope it's in his area.

I guess we should have posted some links to search sites for him.
I'll start
www.traderonline.com
Leinie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2004, 01:52 AM   #8
72c5

Thanks, for the links guys! I have scoured TraderOnline/CollectorCarTraderOnline..........I'm probably like everyone else on this board, looking for that tired old truck, that is basically solid and unmolested, just worn out and ugly.......

BTW, regarding VIN's, I think the first letter of VINs starting w/ 3 letters stands for Chevrolet not California.....
72c5 is offline   Reply With Quote