The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-03-2004, 06:56 AM   #1
blazerslave

New to Washington: Emissions Question

I have recently relocated to Washington and I need some info. Does Washington state have an inspection process that I'll have to go through to register my Blazer? My smog pump has been removed and I am running headers. Will my '72 fail a visual or mechanical inspection. What sorts of issues should I expect?

Thanks
blazerslave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2004, 02:50 PM   #2
Steven B

Vehicles that are 25yrs or older are exemt from emisson control inspections. Also the State Patrol no longer inspects out of state vehicles.
Steven B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2004, 03:20 PM   #3
red71cheyenne
Back in the sticks

Someone told me that that it also only applies in your county for smog. I know down here in Kitsap we don't have smog testing.
2011 K1500 Suburban
2014 K1500 Pickup
2008 Nissan Altima? The wifes' hoopty
red71cheyenne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2004, 04:29 PM   #4
blazerslave

Quote:
Originally posted by red71cheyenne
Someone told me that that it also only applies in your county for smog. I know down here in Kitsap we don't have smog testing.
Does anyone know if I have to perform smog testing in King Co.?

Mike-
Old 01-03-2004, 05:25 PM   #5
1970blazin
Blazerless:-(

I think you may have to in King county, but here in Thurston county we don't have to. Pierce county does.
Diane

1970 CST Blazer-Orig. Dark Blue-SOLD

Progress Pics of Blazer for sale
1970blazin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2004, 08:48 PM   #6
bouncytruck
SKINNY TIRES RULE!

It is even more exclusive than by county. In the metropolitan areas of King there is emissions but not in the rural areas. A friend of mine lived in North Bend and he didn't have to do any emissions.

I live in Bothell, just over the Kirkland border and I don't have emisions on my '69 our newer cars do. I had a '72 about 8 years ago and I lived in Seattle proper and it did have to pass emissions. I did not have any stock emissons on it at the time and it passed.
Wife's Ride2014 Fiat 500L
bouncytruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2004, 11:06 PM   #7
bow-tie-bandit
Live life and be happy.

Hope this helps go to this web page www.access.wa.gov/ then click on licensing, then click on emissions info. I think this state only goes back 25 years for emissions and is testing 1979 and newer vehicles.

Last edited by bow-tie-bandit; 01-03-2004 at 11:11 PM.
bow-tie-bandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2004, 03:45 AM   #8
blazerslave

Thanks Bandit!

Here's what I found on the State's website . . . see point "J".

http://search.leg.wa.gov/wslrcw/RCW%...016%20.015.htm

RCW 46.16.015
Emission control inspections required -- Exceptions -- Educational information.
(1) Neither the department of licensing nor its agents may issue or renew a motor vehicle license for any vehicle or change the registered owner of a licensed vehicle, for any vehicle that is required to be inspected under chapter 70.120 RCW, unless the application for issuance or renewal is: (a) Accompanied by a valid certificate of compliance or a valid certificate of acceptance issued pursuant to chapter 70.120 RCW; or (b) exempted from this requirement pursuant to subsection (2) of this section. The certificates must have a date of validation which is within six months of the date of application for the vehicle license or license renewal. Certificates for fleet or owner tested diesel vehicles may have a date of validation which is within twelve months of the assigned license renewal date.

(2) Subsection (1) of this section does not apply to the following vehicles:

(a) New motor vehicles whose equitable or legal title has never been transferred to a person who in good faith purchases the vehicle for purposes other than resale;

(b) Motor vehicles with a model year of 1967 or earlier;

(c) Motor vehicles that use propulsion units powered exclusively by electricity;

(d) Motor vehicles fueled by propane, compressed natural gas, or liquid petroleum gas, unless it is determined that federal sanctions will be imposed as a result of this exemption;

(e) Motorcycles as defined in RCW 46.04.330 and motor-driven cycles as defined in RCW 46.04.332;

(f) Farm vehicles as defined in RCW 46.04.181;

(g) Used vehicles which are offered for sale by a motor vehicle dealer licensed under chapter 46.70 RCW;

(h) Classes of motor vehicles exempted by the director of the department of ecology;

(i) Collector cars as identified by the department of licensing under RCW 46.16.305(1);

(j) Beginning January 1, 2000, vehicles that are less than five years old or more than twenty-five years old; or

(k) Hybrid motor vehicles that obtain a rating by the environmental protection agency of at least fifty miles per gallon of gas during city driving. For purposes of this section, a hybrid motor vehicle is one that uses propulsion units powered by both electricity and gas.

The provisions of (a) of this subsection may not be construed as exempting from the provisions of subsection (1) of this section applications for the renewal of licenses for motor vehicles that are or have been leased.

(3) The department of ecology shall provide information to motor vehicle owners regarding the boundaries of emission contributing areas and restrictions established under this section that apply to vehicles registered in such areas. In addition the department of ecology shall provide information to motor vehicle owners on the relationship between motor vehicles and air pollution and steps motor vehicle owners should take to reduce motor vehicle related air pollution. The department of licensing shall send to all registered motor vehicle owners affected by the emission testing program notice that they must have an emission test to renew their registration.