The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-26-2010, 11:38 PM   #51
72BLUZ

Re: My '57 Truck Build "Rosa"

vin number should be on the top frame rail at the left/driver side near the eng mount. if its a 17 digit number call me and i will tell you the year, if not 17digit call me anyway with what you have. lmc catalog i think will have a page to decode the vin
Old 11-28-2010, 01:55 PM   #52
Arkansas50's

The tail lights were the same from 73 to 87 except for some chrome trim. That grill was from 81 to 87. I think..........
1954 Chevy 6400
Arkansas50's is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 12:44 AM   #53
Woodbutcher

Your donor is an '84 (4 headlights is a give-away). I jsut sold this 1984 Sierra Classic a month ago. Old Blue had been part of the family a long time.

Keep your stick on the ice, Woodbutcher
Woodbutcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 11:03 PM   #54
57picupnewbie
'57 Rosa

I know it has been a while so it is time for an update. First, I hope everyone had a wonderful Christmas and a Safe New Years. I purchased my 1983 Silverado "Donor" frame. I am posting pictures of it stripped down. I am also placing pictures on here with it next to the original '57 frame. This may help for visual comparison for those who have questions in the future about the '57 to C10 conversion. I did get the cab set back down in place and the fenders mocked up. I will take a pic of it tomorrow. It looks like it all is going to work out great.
Attached Images

Only two defining forces have ever died for us: CHRIST died for our salvation and VETERANS died for our freedoms. Glorify CHRIST and thank VETERANs
Dru~ USN Retired
57picupnewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 08:23 PM   #55
57picupnewbie
'57 Rosa

I finally got the cab set down on the donar frame just to get a peek at what it would look like. I went ahead and put the front fenders on for a slight mock up look. The front of the cab still needs to come up about 1.5 inches, but I think it is going to work out fine.
I have also been talking to Ed at "EZ Chassis Swap" and I will be ording his Full Size Kit in a couple of weeks. Here are the pictures.
Attached Images

Only two defining forces have ever died for us: CHRIST died for our salvation and VETERANS died for our freedoms. Glorify CHRIST and thank VETERANs
Dru~ USN Retired
Old 01-25-2011, 08:39 PM   #56
57picupnewbie
'57 Rosa

If this rain will let up, I am suppose to pic up my engine and transmission this week. I found a 350 with a 400 transmission for $350 for both. They came out of a 1 ton passenger van. Both were running when pulled. My question is what are your opinions on the comparison on the 400 trans vs. the 700 R4 trans?

Dru~ USN Retired
Old 01-26-2011, 01:06 AM   #57
Kim57

Truck looks good.
The 400 is a very strong trans and can handle a lot of HP and torque. The 700R4 has the extra gear and can be built up also but I don't think quite as much as the 400.
Kim
Kim57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 09:24 AM   #58
57picupnewbie
'57 Rosa

Thanks Kim, I think I will stay with the 400. I will drive it around town some and to local shows and parades. If I go to any at some distance, I will trailer it.

Dru~ USN Retired
Old 01-30-2011, 12:16 AM   #59
57picupnewbie
'57 Rosa

I was suppose to get my front fenders primed today. However, I couldn't due to not finishing the prep work. I am having a problem with my 35 gal compressor keeping up with my pressure pot. I bought a DA sander and it works fine until I touvh the truck, then it stops. Not enough volume. Have any of you guys ever piggy backed two compressors. I think I have read somewhere that an adapter was availible so two compressors could be used wand when one emptied the other would kick in????
Anyway, I went on and picked up my motor and trans. Here is a picture of before and one of avout 2 hours later.
Attached Images

Dru~ USN Retired
Old 02-01-2011, 01:28 AM   #60
Woodbutcher

Shheeesh! What a rats nest. I forgot how cluttered the engine bay of an 80's or 90's vehicle is. It will breathe a lot easier once you get rid of all that crap. Personally, in terms of trans choice, I'd take an overdrive trans any day. The 700 is plenty strong unless you are going to go with some major horsepower, and the OD will give you better milage even around town. To me, that translates into nore driving fun for less $$. You might just like it enough to take it out of town on occasion.

As for your compressor question, try using an auxillary tank in line with your compressors tank, one that will fill before you start work. You will be able to go a lot longer before the compressor kicks in. The trade off, is that when it does finally kick in it will have lots of work to do to fill both tanks. Just a thought.

Keep your stick on the ice, Woodbutcher
Woodbutcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 06:33 AM   #61
72BLUZ

i am ready to come to south ga and see first hand the progress
Old 02-01-2011, 12:49 PM   #62
OrrieG

I fought the small compressor for years then finally broke down and got a larger one for around $450 from Lowes (actually a Fathers Day present from the wife). It is made by Campbell. Set it up and have been working for 4 years with no problems. I have never ran out of air running da, die grinder, air blocking sander, etc. I just got tired of working for a minute then waiting 2 while it caught up, especially on the body work.

Last edited by OrrieG; 02-01-2011 at 12:51 PM.
OrrieG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 12:45 PM   #63
Russell Ashley

Hey Dru, we haven't seen any progress pics lately. Are you driving it yet?
Russ
Russell Ashley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 05:24 AM   #64
57picupnewbie
'57 Rosa

Okay guys sorry for delay. I had a bog down with my aircompressor not pushing enough volume. I took OrrieG's advice and just bit the bullet and went bought a larger one. (230V, 3 hp 60 Gallon). I have been hard plumbing lines with regulator and water traps. I did recieve my conversion kit from EZ-Chassis Swaps. This is for the C-10 donor frame. Once I get the old body mount rivets air hammered out, I can get the new cab mounts on and in place. The kit also includes: radiator mouts, front bumper mounts, steering column mounts, and box risers. Oh, by the way, I am milking a herniated L5/S1 Disc so I am moving slower. I am waiting on appointment for eperdermal injections. I will take more pics soon.

Dru~ USN Retired
Old 02-28-2011, 11:39 AM   #65
Kim57

The new compressor sounds cool. I would love one also.
Be sure and take care of your back.
Kim
Old 03-01-2011, 11:43 PM   #66
jsmithbm

Quote:
Originally Posted by 57picupnewbie View Post
Okay guys sorry for delay. I had a bog down with my aircompressor not pushing enough volume. I took OrrieG's advice and just bit the bullet and went bought a larger one. (230V, 3 hp 60 Gallon). I have been hard plumbing lines with regulator and water traps. I did recieve my conversion kit from EZ-Chassis Swaps. This is for the C-10 donor frame. Once I get the old body mount rivets air hammered out, I can get the new cab mounts on and in place. The kit also includes: radiator mouts, front bumper mounts, steering column mounts, and box risers. Oh, by the way, I am milking a herniated L5/S1 Disc so I am moving slower. I am waiting on appointment for eperdermal injections. I will take more pics soon.
*great looking build, i think its great what you are doing. I have recently inheritated a 58 from my dad. I see you said something about some new cab mounts.... Is there anyway you can take some photos on them before and after install. I know thats asking a lot with your injuried back. It would help me out a ton. Im not to far from ya too if you need some help let me know.

Thanks
Joel
Old 03-02-2011, 12:53 AM   #67
OrrieG

Glad to see you are back. Take care of yourself and enjoy the new toy. I have found as I get older brute force doesn't work as well. I keep my engine hoist assembled to help with stuff I used to just horse around. My issue is my shot knees.

Last edited by OrrieG; 03-02-2011 at 12:54 AM.
OrrieG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 09:16 AM   #68
Russell Ashley

Sorry to hear about your back, Dru. Take care of it and give it time to get better.

Seems like we all have to go through the learning process about air compressors. I had four different ones before I finally bought one big enough. My advice to anyone thinking of buying a compressor: Get one with at least a 60 gallon tank and belt driven compressor if you plan on using sanders, sand blasters, paint guns, or any tool that requires a steady supply of air.
Russell Ashley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 05:24 PM   #69
57picupnewbie
'57 Rosa

Hey guys, I am laid up in bed resting. I had my 2nd epidural indection in my back this morning. Good news, It seems to be working and relieving the pressure on the siatic nerve. One more to go in 2 weeks. My air compressor is installed. I will take a picture tomorrow. I agree with Ashley, if you are doing alot of sanding and pressure balsing, paln ahead and get at least a 60 gal compressor. I dropped my donor frame off to my friend at the local high school auto dept. He is painting and installing the new drop shackles, hangers, spindles and poly bushing all the way around. Completely dropping front end and rebuilding anfter painting. Then the EZ-Chassis Swap Kit will be installed when I get it back. Meanwhile, I will be working on bodywork and tearing down engine. My goal is to have this done my next March. Thanks for all the thoughts. I lost another friend in Afganistan in September. He was an EOD tech and was taken by an IED. For he and Randy, I am trying my best to get it done. I will give more details in another time. Please keep there families in prayers. His name was SsA Michael Buras, USAF.:flag:

Dru~ USN Retired
Old 04-07-2011, 06:05 PM   #70
Kim57

Sorry for the loss of your friend. Prayers sent.
Kim
Old 04-07-2011, 11:14 PM   #71
Panelman55

I wish you a speedy recovery, having back issues is not fun. I'm sorry to hear of your loosing a friend. My prayers go out to all those affected by the loss. it looks like your build is still going well hope you keep up the quality work.

Panelman55
Old 04-08-2011, 01:53 PM   #72
57picupnewbie
'57 Rosa

I will put pics of EZ-Swap Brackets kit aftr they are installed.

Dru~ USN Retired
Old 04-08-2011, 02:02 PM   #73
57picupnewbie
'57 Rosa

I wanted to let you guys know about SrA Miachael Buras, USAF. He was killed in Afganistan in September by an IED. This was his 2nd tour and he had already received a Purple Heart during his first. He was an EOD Tech. Michael grew up in my home town. He left behind a wife and a small daughter, Maggie. If I have ever seen apicture that says, "FREEDOM ISN"T FREE" it is this one. Of Maggie. Please pray for his family and this country, we are loosing so many young soldiers every day. Thanks for letting me share!
Attached Images

Dru~ USN Retired
Old 04-08-2011, 02:44 PM   #74
BC Toy chest

Quote:
Originally Posted by 57picupnewbie View Post
If I have ever seen apicture that says, "FREEDOM ISN"T FREE" it is this one. Of Maggie. Please pray for his family and this country, we are loosing so many young soldiers every day. Thanks for letting me share!
So true, my heartfelt condolences to the family.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=432758
BC Toy chest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 07:26 PM   #75
candyx

Some how just saying Thank You for your Service just doesn't seem to be enough when you see those pictures..........I hope his family will be taken care of especially his daughter.
candyx is offline   Reply With Quote