The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Engine & Drivetrain

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-21-2011, 11:57 PM   #1
Alaskan71

Transmission swap to tko-500

Hey guys I'm thinking about swapping the current 3 speed that I have for a tko-500. Ive read dome of the other threads on here but this is my first rebuild and I am still wet behind the ears when it comes to this type of thing. So I have a few questions, first is there any problem why I wouldn't be able to use the tko-500 and bolt it up to my 350 small block. What differences would I have to consider from the original tranny? And what else would I need to get to make it fit the driveshaft and such... (ie other parts like bellhouse cover) and maybe I am completely off but that is why I could use the help.

I am also thinking about putting in a new clutch so if you have any suggestions as to what would work best... Something that is fairly strong and can take a bit of abuse.

Thanks guys
Posted via Mobile Device
Alaskan71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 11:42 AM   #2
crazy longhorn
Fabricate till you "puke"

Re: Transmission swap to tko-500

You will need a 1 1/8"-26 spline clutch disc, & for hard use I would reccomend a Centerforce II, or a Centerforce DF ( I run the DF in my truck). The trans will bolt to the stock bell, but be aware that 68 up has a larger centerhole in the bell, than the car did. You can opt for a 67 or older bell, or there are rings available to properly center the trans to the bell. Also the old cast truck bell is not threaded on the bottom 2 bolts, you need to bolt & nut the bottom 2 ears on the trans(no biggie, i did this on my Richmond ). The TKO takes a Ford style slip yolk, & you will need to shorten the shaft to fit, as the trans is longer than the old saginaw 3 spd(I am assuming 71-72 on the truck by the avatar?). Some guys like to run a crossmember under the tail of the trans(sure couldnt hurt ). best of fun,crazyL
69 longhorn,4" chop,3/5 drop, 1/2 ton suspension/disc brakes,1 1/2" body drop,steel tilt clip, 5.3/Edelbrock rpm intake/600 carb, Hooker streetrod shorties,2 1/2" exhaust/ H pipe/50's Flows , 6 spd Richmond trans,12 bolt/ 3.40 gears....
crazy longhorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 11:54 AM   #3
Alaskan71

Thank you for the help crazy L that was exactly the information I was looking for
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-22-2011, 04:10 PM   #4
crazy longhorn

No trouble A couple other things to consider....the TKO can be had with 3 different shifter locations. This is nice , if you run a bench seat,vs buckets(put the shifter where you want it Also, I cant tell you about any floor mods, but there are several guys here that can. In case you are wondering, I did a lot of research before I got the ROD, & dam near bought the TKO. I am sure I would have been happy with it....& my arm would not be a sore The Richmond is a stiff shifting box, with that "rockcrusher"whine) & fun tho.... crazyL
69 longhorn,4" chop,3/5 drop, 1/2 ton suspension/disc brakes,1 1/2" body drop,steel tilt clip, 5.3/Edelbrock rpm intake/600 carb, Hooker streetrod shorties,2 1/2" exhaust/ H pipe/50's Flows , 6 spd Richmond trans,12 bolt/ 3.40 gears....

Last edited by crazy longhorn; 02-22-2011 at 04:11 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 02-22-2011, 06:18 PM   #5
Alaskan71

Ok so one last question for the time being and this might be a dumb one, but regarding the three different shifter locations if I have a bench now and install the shifter accordingly, can I relocate it later for bucket seats or do I have to buy a tko specific to what position I want and then it's set?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-22-2011, 06:25 PM   #6
crazy longhorn

It sounds like you are pretty set on shifter location , after you buy. The trans has internal shift rail, so it would require disassembly to change the shift position. You might talk with some of the group that has run the trans, & get their input on the best location. best of fun,crazyL