The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Electrical

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-19-2021, 12:48 PM   #1
lux

LED tail lights that don't look like LEDs

Does anyone know of an LED tail light that looks stock. Or maybe some of you that are using LED bulbs can share your thoughts.
I work in the entrainment lighting industry so I love the benefits of LED but I'm not a fan of the look.

Thanks
lux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2021, 03:20 PM   #2
Southcity

Re: LED tail lights that don't look like LEDs

Not a fan of the look of an LED bulb when lit, regardless of the housing/lens that it sits in? or are you referring to the way some of the aftermarket complete LED taillight assemblies look?
Old 02-19-2021, 03:30 PM   #3
lux

Not a fan of the honeycomb / matrix look. I want it to look like a traditional old chevy tail light would look like but, with the long life, energy efficiency and reliability of an LED. That matrix pixel look looks too modern for me.
Old 02-19-2021, 04:08 PM   #4
Southcity

Thanks for clarifying, the "LED's on a circuit board" look is not for everyone. But as you mentioned, LED performance is great. One option that may be a good middle ground is to use the stock housing with an LED replacement bulb (i.e 1156). Multiple choices for lumens and in some cases even a bright or muted light output.
Old 02-19-2021, 04:46 PM   #5
lux

Yes, that what I was thinking. That's what I mentioned in the original post. I for sure would want it as bright as possible to avoid the hit from behind.
So I'm wondering what other folks are using for LED bulbs and how they like them.
Old 02-19-2021, 11:15 PM   #6
dmjlambert

These are the ones I have and I like them.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B082WNNQ3W/
Name:  LED.jpg
Views: 158
Size:  44.4 KB

I bought the red color ones for the tail lights, and I also have red tail lenses.
The tail lights are the only place in the truck where I have LED lights. I was interested in the stock look, but LEDs for brake lights mean they are instant on, so they provide a safety factor. In every other position I prefer incandescent bulbs.

Contrary to what the listing says, these are not "extremely bright." They are the same brightness as a stock incandescent 1157 bulb. Since 2057 and 2357 are supposed to be brighter than 1157, these would not be correct replacements for anything other than 1157. I don't like how every seller of every LED bulb makes stupid and incorrect claims. I find it annoying. But I did try these out and like them. They glow a beautiful and rich red. I was looking for bulbs that are shaped like normal bulbs and that fit in my truck's tail light housing without modification. I tried several others from the local car parts stores, which did not fit.
dmjlambert is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2021, 12:19 AM   #7
lux

Instant on is a really good point. I had not thought of that. I'm curious to know why you chose red leds to go behind a red lens?

I hope you guys are ok down there in Cypress, TX, Things are getting better up here in Austin.
Old 02-20-2021, 11:59 AM   #8
dmjlambert

Yes, things are getting better, thanks, I'm glad to know things are getting better in Austin.
Instant on is really the only benefit I wanted from LEDs. I'm not convinced these Chinese made parts are more reliable than a 50-year old incandescent bulb.
I put red bulbs behind red lens because I wanted them to have a nice rich red color and not the washed out white or yellow look that often shines through the lens when using a white bulb.
Old 02-22-2021, 02:37 PM   #9
weq92f

That instant on/instant off thing is kind of annoying for blinkers. I like the way the old bulbs ramp up to full bright and then back down to off in a short period of time. It lends the blinking light a certain warmth of some kind that is pleasing to me.

The absolute harshness of the instant full bright followed immediately by instant full off, over and over is an assault on the eyes and the senses!

-klb
99 540 sport V8 6sp -- sold
73 240z L24 4sp -- given to friend
68 C10 step 350/350 3.73 open -- sold
weq92f is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2021, 08:10 PM   #10
dmjlambert

I agree, the blinking of LEDs does not have that warmth. I have the warmth up front and harsh brake lights for those behind me.