The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Electrical

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-02-2020, 09:19 AM   #1
mookandairin

power issue on this hell truck

Hey fellas. I havent been here in how long............. I couldnt tell you. Let me start by saying I have a 65 Chevy c10 pu stepside. I got it from my little bro that did a shotty job of a sbc conversion. With that being said the ignition system wiring is at its simplest. I.E> battert cable going to the starter then to wire going to alternator, Ground wire off of battery going to frame, braded strap from frame to motor ect ect. There is stuff bypassed here and there like horn relay, voltage regulator ect ect.
With that being said, on the basic systems gm used for ever. I forget....after the battery + wire goes from the battery to the big post on the starter does the power go to the ignition switch before it goes to the alternator/starter solenoid or straight to the alternator then the switch? I am sorry for the stupid question but my brain after 8-10 hrs a day 7 days a week for 3 months in melted trying to get this thing up and running for a hot rod party on the 4th of July. Since out of storage it went from a N-A sbc to a twin turbo setup on same sbc ( after complete engine rebuild) new intake, carb, intercooler, elect. w/p, elect. f/p, elec. fans, blow thru carb,
Truck wasn't ready to be started yet but without me there the inevadable happened, he tried to start it when fuel blew passed the needle and seats thru the card vent holes, back fire thru carb and complete build went backwards and caught fire burning everything.
Everything rebuilt again. Wiring patched together agaijn, new everything that needed to be replaced. Tuned to where it needed to be but when elect water pump got installed, The alternator got moved to the low mounting option (low drivers side) so all alternator wires needed to be moved that way also and THAT is where ti all went bad. Hell in a hand basket I like to say. When everything was done and I fought off the landlord yet again for working on vehicles on the property, When I turned the key........................ I got but-kiss, nadda, zilch, zero,swing and a miss............ nothing. NO power to the ignition what so ever. I got power 13.5V from the battery to the starter but thats it. It started to get dark last night on me when this happened so I couldn't tear into it before dark. Iv'e got NO power to the alternator, fuse box or switch. HENCE me asking about the basic wiring flow. Everything did work before the alternator relocation and cleaning up spices, taped off wires ect so I know it is in the power flow somewhere like............. alternator power is not going to the battery or to the starter or switch.........I got lost when brain melted down when this last kick in the mouth happened lol. This is what Iv'e got going: Battery power> starter>(then nothing) does it go from there to the switch or alternator first? Like I said it is something completely overlooked and there are too many cooks in the kitchen adding spices to the sauce so I kicked em all out of my way last night when it went dark outside
The truck has been made from several other trucks so Frankenstein is saying it lightly. I just need help with the power flow if you will.
Thanks for reading and if you do know the power flow on a GM to refresh my damn failing memory, I will be forever in your debt.
Thank you VERY VERY VERY much!!! (X 100)
mookandairin is offline   Reply With Quote