The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-23-2022, 10:05 PM   #26
57taskforce
All about them K’s

Re: Scam alert

Quote:
Originally Posted by leddzepp View Post
“Kindly make payment” is a huge red flag. That verbiage was used when a scammer contacted me on Facebook.
Definitely true, Ive seen the same stuff on the Camaro forum I’m on as well. I don’t do fb but anytime they have virtually no posts and want me to send cash friends and family it’s a huge ole NO! It’s so easy to get duped in the world we live in if you don’t pay attention. My favorite is the people calling and leaving voice mails saying the irs is going to start pressing charges and garnishing if I don’t give them my DOB, social, and credit card info for processing my case I’ve had that one about 10 times now. It’s way more fun when I answer the phone and waste their time for 20-30 minutes asking stupid irrelevant questions.
‘69 K10 SWB http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=805206
'98 Silverado LT K2500HD ECLB Vortec 454/4l80E: 6" lift 315/75/16's
‘87 IROC-Z all original 50K mile survivor TPI 305 IROC Blue
‘10 Camaro 2SS/RS Aqua Blue Metallic #93 -version 2.0
57taskforce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2022, 10:20 PM   #27
Orange71shorty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orange71shorty View Post
I just got a scam reply from saddjack. Zero posts, he referred me to a gmail address as well. Attention admins!
he just sent a second message
Attached Images

Orange71shorty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2022, 10:23 PM   #28
leddzepp

Quote:
he just sent a second message
Use “report a post” so it gets sent to admin. It’s the triangle sign with an exclamation point in it

1968 C/10 50th Anniversary LWB. Unrestored, stock, daily driver/work truck.

RIP ElJay
RIP 67ChevyRedneck
RIP Grumpy Old Man
leddzepp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2022, 10:40 PM   #29
Orange71shorty

Quote:
Use “report a post” so it gets sent to admin. It’s the triangle sign with an exclamation point in it
Thank you
Orange71shorty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2022, 10:45 PM   #30
leddzepp

Quote:
Thank you
Thanks for reporting it. He is now banned.

RIP ElJay
RIP 67ChevyRedneck
RIP Grumpy Old Man
Old 02-23-2022, 11:13 PM   #31
special-K
Special Order

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimijam00 View Post
So BLUF, he never scammed you. Guess you are just letting us know someone got banned? Isn't that against the rules?
No
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimijam00 View Post
Since there doesn't seem to be a forum where the admins can post all those scammers that have been banned, thereby making forum members aware they are scammers, maybe this thread should be used for that? Probably a sticky linked at the top of every forum to this thread would work.
What we do have is a report feature, as well as a staff to PM, when a member becomes aware of a scammer. There is no point in a forum to discuss a scammer. The point is zero in and nix them ASAP. We don't want them here. We want to know about them so they can be eliminated immediately, before there is anything to talk about.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2022, 12:15 AM   #32
57taskforce
All about them K’s

Quote:
Originally Posted by special-K View Post
No

What we do have is a report feature, as well as a staff to PM, when a member becomes aware of a scammer. There is no point in a forum to discuss a scammer. The point is zero in and nix them ASAP. We don't want them here. We want to know about them so they can be eliminated immediately, before there is anything to talk about.
Exactly. What is the point in knowing someone was banned for being a scammer if they are banned. They can’t continue to attempt to scam because they are banned.
‘69 K10 SWB http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=805206
'98 Silverado LT K2500HD ECLB Vortec 454/4l80E: 6" lift 315/75/16's
‘87 IROC-Z all original 50K mile survivor TPI 305 IROC Blue
‘10 Camaro 2SS/RS Aqua Blue Metallic #93 -version 2.0
57taskforce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2022, 12:24 AM   #33
tdangle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Accelo View Post
I am always suspect if the seller has a gmail account.
Why? Gmail is probably the largest email service out there. Not everyone has or wants their own email domain. I have both and prefer my gmail account and am not a spammer nor a crook.

1970 Custom Camper/C20 , GM Crate 350/7004R, Dana 60, factory AC
tdangle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2022, 12:25 AM   #34
Louisvillekytruck

I have a gmail.com
Attached Images

Louisvillekytruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2022, 12:33 AM   #35
Big Kev-O

I assume this is one of the many reasons new member registration was placed on hold. There are probably more scammers trying to join than legit truck owners.

On a side note, when I get the scam calls on my cell phone I answer and tell them their auto warranty has expired and offer to sell them a new warranty.
Posted via Mobile Device
Big Kev-O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2022, 01:08 AM   #36
RustyPile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Kev-O View Post
......<snip>........

On a side note, when I get the scam calls on my cell phone I answer and tell them their auto warranty has expired and offer to sell them a new warranty.
Posted via Mobile Device

And I thought I was the only one doing that.. It's a hoot and a barrel of fun, ain't it Big Kev???
RustyPile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2022, 01:28 AM   #37
leddzepp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Kev-O View Post
I assume this is one of the many reasons new member registration was placed on hold. There are probably more scammers trying to join than legit truck owners.
Posted via Mobile Device
You hit the nail on the head.

There was a scammer on Facebook that posted a thread for seat covers for our trucks. The pics were taken from Rick’s Upholstery (a legitimate business) and I recognized them immediately. I was amazed at how many folks posted in that thread, essentially throwing money at the poster, asking “where do I send payment?” only to follow up with how they were scammed out of big money. Now that these scammers are being called out on Facebook I believe they are looking for other places to post and scam people, this site being a prime target. Fortunately the owners here actually care and do their best to screen potential members before allowing them in. I’ve been on Facebook for 6 months and it’s pretty much a joke. I’ve been on this site for over 15 years and have NEVER had an issue. Let’s keep it that way. PLEASE report any PM’s or posts that are suspect. Most likely it will be PM’s (as demonstrated in this thread) from new members that are non subscribers (pink) with no posting history. The scammers will target members that post “want to buy” threads as they cannot post “for sale” threads without being a subscribing (paying) member here. There are PLENTY of non subscribing (pink) members here with gmail accounts that are not scammers and contribute their knowledge daily, I only pointed out some things to look at when you look at the whole picture in the context of sending someone money.

RIP ElJay
RIP 67ChevyRedneck
RIP Grumpy Old Man
Old 02-24-2022, 09:25 AM   #38
Joyridin

I have been using a Gmail account for years. A lot of it had to do with sellers being able to get your email address and flooding your email with ads peddling more garbage. With Gmail, it is easy to report them as Spam and they can't contact you anymore.

As for the Friends and Family issue, since the government has started tracking anything over $600, if you want to sell a few items via Paypal, you have to give them your SS number. On my end, that is not going to happen. You can pretty much guarantee it will be spread around the Internet in a few years by some hackers. If somebody has a way around this, I am all ears. Years ago, we sent money orders and never had a problem, nowadays, everybody is a criminal until proven wrong. You can still use a USPS money order and they will pursue the seller if the part isn't shipped as it is considered a federal crime to cash the USPS money order and not ship. If they can find the person.

If you have a way of getting around the Paypal/$600 issue, please let us know. As of now, it is Friends and Family, pick it up and pay cash, or the trash can.
Joyridin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2022, 09:47 AM   #39
Grumpy old man

I got this one via PM yesterday , From new Member ? with 0 posts ? If you can't see it ,

It reads - looking for 67 chevy headlight buckets what you got ?

I don't have any for sale ads right now ? Maybe he found an old ad ? or is it some kind of new scam ? I don't know ...
Attached Images

1967 Factory short bed - Old school
'71 - 350 / 4bolt / 487 heads / Edelbrock C3BX
Muncie M-22 4 speed / Hurst Comp plus
Factory 12 bolt posi 3.73 / 255-70-15
Smoothed firewall / Factory cowl induction
Power disc brakes / power steering / 3.5-5" drop

Last edited by Grumpy old man; 02-24-2022 at 09:54 AM.
Grumpy old man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2022, 10:16 AM   #40
dmjlambert

That one looks like a new forum member who does not know how to behave properly. He was trained by facebook.
dmjlambert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2022, 12:39 PM   #41
MikeB

Quote:
“Kindly make payment” is a huge red flag. That verbiage was used when a scammer contacted me on Facebook.
Yes, it's common for foreign criminals to use a phrase like that. "No worries" and "My dear sir" are others.

I just goggled "scammer language" and found this gem among many others:

"Due to our credit card processor is down we can not proceed on charging of your credit card so the company board advices that you look around for a western union around you and make the fund deposit to the company accountant name via western union so that your shipment can be activated for delivery soonest so we can get back to you with your full shipment tracking details so you can track your order online via fedex."

Hard to believe even one person would proceed after reading the above, but the bad guys wouldn't do it if it didn't work at least sometimes. Even a .01% hit rate could make them money.
1981 C10 Silverado LWB -- sold, but wish I still had it!
1969 C10 (not the current one) that I bought in the early 1980s. Paid $1200; sold for $1500 a few years later. Just a hint at the appreciation that was coming.
Retired as a factory automation products salesman.
Worked part-time over the years for an engine builder and a classic car repair shop.
Member here for 23 years! This is the very first car/truck Internet forum I joined. I still used a dial-up modem back then!
MikeB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2022, 01:01 PM   #42
MikeB

Quote:
Originally Posted by 57taskforce View Post
Exactly. What is the point in knowing someone was banned for being a scammer if they are banned. They can’t continue to attempt to scam because they are banned.
That only works if the scammer is banned immediately, as opposed to being under review. This thread also serves to warn us what to look out for in the future when, for example, a banned scammer pops up under a new User ID.

I simply don't understand saying this over and it's a done deal. It's kind of like saying, "Why are you still worried about burglars in the neighborhood when the one who broke into your neighbor's house was caught?"
1981 C10 Silverado LWB -- sold, but wish I still had it!
1969 C10 (not the current one) that I bought in the early 1980s. Paid $1200; sold for $1500 a few years later. Just a hint at the appreciation that was coming.
Retired as a factory automation products salesman.
Worked part-time over the years for an engine builder and a classic car repair shop.
Member here for 23 years! This is the very first car/truck Internet forum I joined. I still used a dial-up modem back then!
MikeB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2022, 09:22 PM   #43
jumpsoffrock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironhorse View Post
Primary indication of a possible scam is the total lack of any posts to any extent. It takes time and effort to post threads and most scammers are out for the quick $$ they can score with no intention of building a background of various posts and replies. On occasion I have received a PM from a newer member with a request to buy. Always reply to them that PM sales are not per board rules and reply intent to purchase in the thread. Always met with a polite, oops, okay, I can do that.

Might add, I have a gmail account and have had it for years. Didn't realize that was a scam signal?
And who knows, maybe you're a scammer too. You just chose to post a meager 8,906 posts and wait 21 years before scamming and fooling us all!!!!!!!

jumpsoffrock is offline   Reply With Quote