The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-18-2022, 08:22 PM   #1
ApacheProject

Pertronix ignitor II installed, have questions

I installed the Pertronix Ignitor II and coil in my 58 today. I have a question for anyone who has used these. My truck is wired like original 283 V8/ Manual that it is, what do I do with the original green coil wire that comes from the resistor? Where’s the best source for the 12 volts needed for the new ignition system? Is the brown resistor wire a full 12 volts?
ApacheProject is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2022, 10:42 PM   #2
mr48chev

Re: Pertronix ignitor II installed, have questions

If the resistor has screws to hold the wire terminal I'd just use the screw on the switch side of the resistor as a connection post and leave the resistor in place for when the Pertronix craps out and you put a stock distributor back in it.

Those things work when they work and work well as long as they work but if you don't use everything in the ignition setup that they tell you to use exactly as they tell you to do it they can be short lived. That means that if they say use a certain set of plug wires use that set, if they specify plugs use those plugs.

There are two "help I am broke down on the road" types of threads on the HAMB that you see over and over again. The most common is that a Pertronix ign failed. Second is that a generator failed in the middle of nowhere and they are stuck in some berg on the side of the highway with no generator within 300 miles.

That said I am pretty sure that the 350 in my boat has been converted to one and I make sure that my boat towing insurance is paid in full.

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2022, 01:53 PM   #3
_Ogre

we set up my son's DD 68 elco wither pertronix back in 1999, it's outlived 3 motors, including the motor i originally had in 58truk. i told him to keep the old points and wires in the glovebox, it's still there. anything electrical can fail, including the old points and capacitor

the wiring is pretty basic. pertronix has a red and black wire. 12v+ is from the ignition switch, just like the points (probably the brown wire). as for the green coil wire from the resistor it is removed along with the ballast resistor since you used the "recommended coil". use figure "A" wiring
pertronix manual
Attached Images

how to put your truck year and build thread into your signature
shop air compressor timer
_Ogre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2022, 02:03 PM   #4
ApacheProject

Thanks for the info. I’ve heard good and bad about these but I’m giving it a try. The truck is not a daily driver so I’m willing to take a chance ( with backup ignition parts in the glove box ) I’m using the coil recommended for the ignitor II so I’ll be using a keyed 12 volt source. I guess it’s ok to run that from the factory style fuse panel?
ApacheProject is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2022, 02:51 PM   #5
mr48chev

That was the selling point back when they came out with them. The "you can carry the points ignition parts in the glove compartment and switch back in a few minutes if it quits.

I'd say that most guys who have trouble don't follow what Pertronix says to do and use to the letter though. After you ask a few questions they admit that they weren't using the correct coil or did something else that didn't jive with what Pertronix said to do.

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2022, 01:04 PM   #6
_Ogre

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApacheProject View Post
...so I’ll be using a keyed 12 volt source. I guess it’s ok to run that from the factory style fuse panel?
there is no factory style fuse panel unless your truck came with electric wipers
or your truck has been modified. there's also the fusible link off the battery
just use the wire that came from the ignition switch to the coil, i believe to id'd it as brown

the base truck had 1 fuse on the headlight switch for the instrument panel lights
other lights are protected from overload by the bi-metal strips on the both sides of the headlight switch
headlights have one side, all other lights on the other side

how to put your truck year and build thread into your signature
shop air compressor timer
_Ogre is offline   Reply With Quote