The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Engine & Drivetrain

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-16-2009, 11:18 PM   #1
PhilaTruck
Right on the line, baby!

KB Pistons?

Are KBs still good pistons?

Either these (left-right) or these (neutral)?

Thanks-

-Todd

Click and scroll down for site vendors!

Subscribe here!
PhilaTruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 01:19 AM   #2
Ticker
Account Suspended

Re: KB Pistons?

I personally prefer SRP/JE - the pro series with rings, etc. are good deals and the finish and precision is outstanding. That said, KB's are fine

The two pistons are very different - what's the application? What cc chamber?
Ticker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 02:20 AM   #3
chevybuldr

yea you need to provide some more info here. What are you looking to do with this. Either way you are going to have to run goooood gas. Being that you are looking at dome I am guess you are. I kinda prefer the forged line of KB they are nice. I like SRP forged line a little more. Its all about the budget. Just remember that those Hyper take a special ring gap on that top ring.
chevybuldr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 07:19 AM   #4
1968SWBBigBlock

Yes KB makes a good piston
I do have to agree with what has been said above.
Look at the FHR sieries of forged piston from KB
Lunati 60204 cam, Micro Trol lifters,
Ported Edelbrock Performer Rpm manifold armor coated, Pertronix Triple Strike Ignition
Holley 770 Street Avenger carb,Headers armor coated
Built by Watson Ruppel Performance in Sarahsville Ohio.
Hardshift Tranny Built Turbo 350,TSI 10" 3000 stall
12 Bolt Eaton Posi 4.10 Richmond Gears moser axles
18.5" x 31" Hoosier Pro Street Radials
ET Classic 5 Wheels - polished
Power Steering, Power Brakes,Disc Brakes,Tach & Gauge Dash, Tilt,Factory Air (gone)
Custom Paint & Body Work

Special thanks to my wife, my son and my money tree
1968SWBBigBlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 07:07 PM   #5
cableguy0

kb doesnt even make the pistons anymore. they are outsourced. keith black isnt passed away and his name was sold off and a lot of the pistons are foreign made. we found the pistons are really sensitive to going a tiny bit lean and pistons will come apart. they used to be tops but at this point i would go with something else like the je's
Owner of North Point Car Care in Dundalk Md. We specialize in custom exhaust on both modern and classic vehicles. We are a full service auto shop from classics to modern vehicles. Feel free to contact me with questions. I will give a 10% discount to any board member.
cableguy0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 08:54 PM   #6
shortbed70

KB pistons are good but there hypers are a little heavy and I've heard you need to really pay attention to top ring gap on them. I have a set of dished hypers in mine and no problems here.

1965 Chevy Bagged,361 sbc,voodoo cam,1.5 full roller rockers,patriot 185cc vortec heads 2.02-1.60,vortec weiand polished intake,demon carb

my truckhttp://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=332884

Big Red Dog build
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=572274
shortbed70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 10:04 PM   #7
1968SWBBigBlock

Cableguy -= when did KB start outsourcing pistons?
When I bought mine 2 years ago they owned 2 plants - one in the USA that made premium forged pistons and another in mexico that they have been in for 20 years that makes the FHR forged piston, Hypers and clamiers
Lunati 60204 cam, Micro Trol lifters,
Ported Edelbrock Performer Rpm manifold armor coated, Pertronix Triple Strike Ignition
Holley 770 Street Avenger carb,Headers armor coated
Built by Watson Ruppel Performance in Sarahsville Ohio.
Hardshift Tranny Built Turbo 350,TSI 10" 3000 stall
12 Bolt Eaton Posi 4.10 Richmond Gears moser axles
18.5" x 31" Hoosier Pro Street Radials
ET Classic 5 Wheels - polished
Power Steering, Power Brakes,Disc Brakes,Tach & Gauge Dash, Tilt,Factory Air (gone)
Custom Paint & Body Work

Special thanks to my wife, my son and my money tree
1968SWBBigBlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 10:33 PM   #8
cableguy0

i believe it was somewhere in 08ish. i know there was a lot of issues with the hypers breaking or cracking. mulitple quality shops were having issues. the suppliers knew of the issue etc. we all but stopped using them and went to je pistons on most stuff. requiring a better piston than just a regular hyper.
Owner of North Point Car Care in Dundalk Md. We specialize in custom exhaust on both modern and classic vehicles. We are a full service auto shop from classics to modern vehicles. Feel free to contact me with questions. I will give a 10% discount to any board member.
cableguy0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 12:25 AM   #9
Ticker
Account Suspended

Virtually all pistons today are made to some extent outside of the US - ether the materials or the slugs, although usually final machining is done in the US.

The issue with breaking pistons came from KB's recommendation for an unusually wide top ring gap that a lot of machinists missed. The ring couldn't seat fully in the ring land because the gap closed, then would gall and finally catch, breaking off the top of the ring land and usually the crown of the piston.

Not saying KB didn't have quality control issues for a while, because they sure did (along with Sealed Power) but every situation I ran into was a "normal" top ring gap vs. what KB spec'd.

Last edited by Ticker; 11-18-2009 at 12:26 AM.
Ticker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 12:16 PM   #10
chevybuldr

Pretty much what Ticker said above. They are the same company the makes Silv-o-lite pistons. They use to be hyperutectics only. KB is just a product line. There claim to fame was a large distance between the first rind and second ring. That cause the second ring to run hotter. Most people were not reading the instructions and finding that it ran a larger rind gap because of this. Some almost as high as .035 gap. It was then that the top ring would blow the gland out of the top. If everything is set right they work good but they are still a cast style piston. Remember chevy was using hypers in there motors for 20 years if not more.

This tells you how hypers material make up
http://kb-silvolite.com/article.php?action=read&A_id=2
chevybuldr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 11:22 PM   #11
PhilaTruck
Right on the line, baby!

Sorry- I posted the dome. That was a mistake.

It's been a few years since I shopped pistons and I remembered comments like those above and wanted to check it out. I've got lots of cam and wanted to run up the CR a bit. (73.5 chamber on 4.155 x 3.75)

This will always be a NA motor, so I don't *need* all forged.

It runs now, but maybe I can get it to run a little better...

Anyway. Just doing some initial research. Thanks for the info.

-Todd

Click and scroll down for site vendors!

Subscribe here!
PhilaTruck is offline   Reply With Quote