The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > projects and builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-04-2009, 05:21 PM   #401
TimE
Hey Y'all!!

Re: My 1965 build thread

Alan, do you know if the Slick Sand is compatible with self etching primer? Just wondering b/c I know that is what some of these guys are using as a base...

Can't comment on the video yet. The computers at work have ALL photo/video sites blocked.

I will check it out when I get home though and I'm sure it is great!

Last edited by TimE; 01-04-2009 at 11:17 PM. Reason: stoopid...
TimE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 05:39 PM   #402
scotts62
One day...

Video is great, good job!
Hey Tim its a good video im at work too but ours arn't blocked, well as of yet

93 crew cab build
Project 62
scotts62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 05:53 PM   #403
Alan's Classic
1 thing at a time is progress.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimE View Post
Alan, do you know if the Quick Sand is compatible with self etching primer? Just wondering b/c I know that is what some of these guys are using as a base...

Can't comment on the video yet. The computers at work have ALL photo/video sites blocked.

I will check it out when I get home though and I'm sure it is great!
It can not be sprayed over self etch primers. To all who read this please read all lables prior to use. Everyone does things differently. I don't want any hate mail due to my recommendations. This product is still new to me. I'm still trying to find out if it is a primer or not. The painter that I work with says it needs to be primed over. The label on the can says primer surfacer. I'm going to read the can again to see what I can find out. Maybe someone else with experience with this product can chime in.

Here is some info links

http://www.evercoat.com/productDetail.aspx?pID=28

http://www.evercoat.com/imgs/pis/SLICKSANDPIS.pdf

http://www.evercoat.com/faq.aspx
Alan's Classic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 06:36 PM   #404
Old School Kid
Rottenwood Garage Member..Yes!

Cool video Alan.. She's gonna be pretty....

My 65 (SOLD)
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=317013
My 51 (SOLD)
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...80#post3551880
Racetruck III (SOLD)
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...72#post4254972

Rottenwood Garage and Speed Shop.....where everything must be racy!

Gone to dark side for a while...1966 F100 in the stable
Old School Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 08:58 PM   #405
joesscamaro

I love watching and reading this thread! AWESOME!
joesscamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 10:25 PM   #406
TimE
Hey Y'all!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan's Classic View Post
It can not be sprayed over self etch primers. To all who read this please read all lables prior to use. Everyone does things differently. I don't want any hate mail due to my recommendations. This product is still new to me. I'm still trying to find out if it is a primer or not. The painter that I work with says it needs to be primed over. The label on the can says primer surfacer. I'm going to read the can again to see what I can find out. Maybe someone else with experience with this product can chime in.

Here is some info links

http://www.evercoat.com/productDetail.aspx?pID=28

http://www.evercoat.com/imgs/pis/SLICKSANDPIS.pdf

http://www.evercoat.com/faq.aspx
Thanks for taking the time to post this. I intend to lay down epoxy on mine as a base and then build from there but, like I said in the other post, I know some of the guys reading this are using a self etching primer and was just trying to help lookout for any possible "uh-oh's" by asking.

On the subject of the fresh air from the cowl, cost wise you could start out with a junkyard breather, cut off the air inlet and then with your mad skills fab or find something to use for the side/rear facing "snorkel". Very little cash outlay, just planning and ome time. Just a suggestion.

BTW, I'm loving your build...

Oh and the video was great too.
TimE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 01:05 AM   #407
Alan's Classic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old School Kid View Post
Cool video Alan.. She's gonna be pretty....
Quote:
Originally Posted by joesscamaro View Post
I love watching and reading this thread! AWESOME!
Thanks Old school kid and Joesscamaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimE View Post
Thanks for taking the time to post this. I intend to lay down epoxy on mine as a base and then build from there but, like I said in the other post, I know some of the guys reading this are using a self etching primer and was just trying to help lookout for any possible "uh-oh's" by asking.

On the subject of the fresh air from the cowl, cost wise you could start out with a junkyard breather, cut off the air inlet and then with your mad skills fab or find something to use for the side/rear facing "snorkel". Very little cash outlay, just planning and ome time. Just a suggestion.

BTW, I'm loving your build...

Oh and the video was great too.
Thanks TimE for looking out and for the compliment. Lord knows I can't think of everything.

I had fun making the video. I hope it helps somebody. It's just of hint of whats all involved. I put a link to the video in my signature for others to see incase they missed it. I wish I could say I knew everything, but I'm far from that.

Hey Joe, do you only do picture patrol or do you do video patrol as well. You might have to rewrite the rule book.
Old 01-05-2009, 08:41 AM   #408
joe231

Old 01-05-2009, 11:03 PM   #409
Alan's Classic

Cpp Update:

I sent emails and one or two phone calls back on Dec 9th about the concerns that I had. I never heard from them, until today. The phone call was only to see if they needed to send out more Ubolts. They sent a return authorization for the ubolts 3 weeks ago. I made it known to them the issues I've got. I told him about the instructions for the swaybar install. Like I said before they get the bars from Adco. Adco is the ones that put the instructions in the kit. I told him the instructions on CPP's website was correct. He is going to check with Adco on this issue. As far as the hardware with the kit, the hardware is supposed to be grade 5. I referred him to this thread so he could see the pix. I'll keep ya'll posted on any other info.

I hope they can restore my confidence with them. They have some great products that helps us out a bunch.
Old 01-06-2009, 12:05 AM   #410
tiggamonsta

Good to hear you are getting a response from CPP. It is so tough to find good companies to work with in this day and age. Everyone fights for the best price and service is what usually suffers. Hopefully CPP makes everything right with you.
tiggamonsta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 09:02 PM   #411
Alan's Classic

oK it's been a while. First it was a cold, then I got lazy then american idol auditions came on. Now it's going to be single digit temps here tonight. I got some blocking done on the dash, going back out in a little bit to get more done. I got too get back in the grove. Bring on warmer temps.

Old 01-15-2009, 09:36 PM   #412
Old School Kid
Rottenwood Garage Member..Yes!

Copy cold weather Alan... Its hard to get motivated in the south when you can see your breath I'm with you Allan, I grew up in a cold snowy climate, thats why I'm in the south now (here to stay!)

I bet I can speak for others when I say we were wondering about you and your progress....

Now fire up the stove, turn on Barret Jackson in the back ground ( notice all the trucks) and get crack'in. Just kidding !!!

My 65 (SOLD)
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=317013
My 51 (SOLD)
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...80#post3551880
Racetruck III (SOLD)
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...72#post4254972

Rottenwood Garage and Speed Shop.....where everything must be racy!

Gone to dark side for a while...1966 F100 in the stable
Old School Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 11:26 PM   #413
Alan's Classic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old School Kid View Post
Copy cold weather Alan... Its hard to get motivated in the south when you can see your breath I'm with you Allan, I grew up in a cold snowy climate, thats why I'm in the south now (here to stay!)

I bet I can speak for others when I say we were wondering about you and your progress....

Now fire up the stove, turn on Barret Jackson in the back ground ( notice all the trucks) and get crack'in. Just kidding !!!
If it's gonna be cold there needs to be some snow.. I fired up the stove and got it up to 54. I just couldn't get motivated. While working I remembered there was another reason I haven't been getting much done. I've been working late and on saturdays on my friends miata. Making some progress on something. Now I've got 2 projects that needs to be blocked.

Old 01-18-2009, 08:27 PM   #414
Alan's Classic

I've got a question for ya'll...What should I do with the old tank mounts. I will be using a tank between the rails. I am planning on removing this much

I can get to the inside to clean up the welds, but if I get it too hot it will release the filler on the outside. I'm planning on using a sprayable seam sealer which also acts as a sound deadener. I will coat the the entire cab corner all the way up. Also thinking of coating the inside of the cab back panel for sound deadening. What do ya'll think?

The roof is blocked and ready for self leveling seam sealer in the gutter. Gotta get the shop warm enough for it flow out and cure. I will paint the roof after that to see how it will look there are a few areas of concern. We willl see.

Old 01-18-2009, 08:47 PM   #415
tiggamonsta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan's Classic View Post
I've got a question for ya'll...What should I do with the old tank mounts. I will be using a tank between the rails. I am planning on removing this much

I can get to the inside to clean up the welds, but if I get it too hot it will release the filler on the outside. I'm planning on using a sprayable seam sealer which also acts as a sound deadener. I will coat the the entire cab corner all the way up. Also thinking of coating the inside of the cab back panel for sound deadening. What do ya'll think?

If the sound deadener is thick then I say get it as smooth as you can and cover it. Do you plan to build a speaker box or a storage compartment back their? I am thinking of doing some storage compartments behind mine when I get to it.
tiggamonsta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 09:57 PM   #416
joe231

that is my plan on the tank mounts also...what tank are you gonna use?

I'd also like more info on the sprayable seam sealer also......

nice work Alan!!
Old 01-18-2009, 10:08 PM   #417
jonzcustomshop
1961 crewcab

I cut the mounts off my 61 right on your mark... saber saw with a long blade worked best.
jonzcustomshop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 11:34 PM   #418
scotts62
One day...

I think mine had a bar that went the whole length of a bench seat in mine, it didnt look like that setup but i did cut it just like your red line shows.

93 crew cab build
Project 62
scotts62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 01:07 AM   #419
Alan's Classic

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiggamonsta View Post
If the sound deadener is thick then I say get it as smooth as you can and cover it. Do you plan to build a speaker box or a storage compartment back their? I am thinking of doing some storage compartments behind mine when I get to it.
It will end up textured. I can change the texture with the gun. A friend of mine has a boozooka tube tucked into his 1972 cab corner and fits well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe231 View Post
that is my plan on the tank mounts also...what tank are you gonna use?

I'd also like more info on the sprayable seam sealer also......

nice work Alan!!
It will be an aluminum tank like most, just waiting for a deal I can't pass up to come along. My buying power has been reduced to ruble after the vacation. When I spray the sealer I will post info as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonzcustomshop View Post
I cut the mounts off my 61 right on your mark... saber saw with a long blade worked best.
Sounds like a plan.
Old 01-19-2009, 09:15 AM   #420
sdailey
The Few, The Proud

Looks good Alan. Keep up the good work. Holler if you need anything.
Old 01-19-2009, 02:39 PM   #421
jwart

just did roof on my 65. old sealer came out in one peice-but saw why snow was melting down inside of my windsheild tho.
after repairs - used 3M #08505 FAST'n FIRM in caulk tube. smoothed it down with reducer soaked finger & worked better than any seamsealer i've ever used. paintable in 30 mins. flat black & it even looks good enuf from my house while still in my garage at eye level. KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK!
JW+ART= JWART
jwart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 01:11 AM   #422
Alan's Classic

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdailey View Post
Looks good Alan. Keep up the good work. Holler if you need anything.
Thanks, you know I will.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwart View Post
just did roof on my 65. old sealer came out in one peice-but saw why snow was melting down inside of my windsheild tho.
after repairs - used 3M #08505 FAST'n FIRM in caulk tube. smoothed it down with reducer soaked finger & worked better than any seamsealer i've ever used. paintable in 30 mins. flat black & it even looks good enuf from my house while still in my garage at eye level. KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK!
JW+ART= JWART
Thanks for the advice. I would probably try it if I didn't already have the other. Yours is probably easier to use.
Old 01-22-2009, 12:16 AM   #423
Alan's Classic

Not much going on with the truck. I did manage to work on the bedside a little today. Gotta bolt the bed back together temporarily to check to see where the fuel door will be. Mainly to check the fit of the rear tire wheel's I'm thinking of running that I posted about a few post back.

Here are the sealers I'll be using

I've used them all. On my roof I will use the Duramix 4229. It's not as runny as the 3M 8307.

Duramix 4229 Application instructions link
3M 8307 Application instructions link
3M 8374 Apllication instructions link

These links should answer your questions. Keep in mind they all require there own applicator gun. They are pricey and not worth the cost unless your in the bussiness. You might know someone that works in a shop that might let you borrow it. I never asked, but I wonder if paint suppliers would rent them.
Here is a link to one of the guns. Link Another one. Link 2 Sprayable seam sealer gun Link
Old 01-22-2009, 06:10 PM   #424
tommys66

I also plan to cut my old tank mounts on the red line. looks like the best spot for them to not seem out of place. Thought about removing the entire mount, but looks like they give the back of the cab alot of structure, should prolly just cut on red line and be done.
tommys66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 08:15 PM   #425
shortbed70

So did you weld the seam on the side of the bed? I am wanting to do this to clean it up.

1965 Chevy Bagged,361 sbc,voodoo cam,1.5 full roller rockers,patriot 185cc vortec heads 2.02-1.60,vortec weiand polished intake,demon carb

my truckhttp://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=332884

Big Red Dog build
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=572274
shortbed70 is offline   Reply With Quote