The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > Welcome and Discussion > General Discussion

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-19-2019, 11:06 PM   #1
Andy4639
Old member

Thumbs up 64 ss

I went and got the 64 back from dad yesterday. I worked on it for about hr trying to get it started. I kept using dad's charger. Finally took the battery out and bought a new one it cranked right up.

Guy at O Rielly's says it has a 3 year warrinty so he finds it. It ran out in September! $180.00 later I had a new one! The battery was so dead it wouldn't show anything on their machine. Oh well it home.

I've been wanting to work on the wiring so I started today.
Started taking the wiring a part under the hood. The PO decided he was to lazy to strip it and do it right so I did tonight. He installed a HEI and ran a hot wire to it but he left all the old wiring in the harness. I pulled about 5' of unused wiring out of it tonight and still have more to go.

I also pulled the center console out and going to paint it when ever it stops raining. I'm going to clean up the wiring mess inside it also.
Driving home last night the gauges started flickering on/off so I pulled all that out and found the ground wire was loose, hopefully those are fixed.

Tomorrow I plan to take the fuse block out and see how it looks as well. May even pull the dash back out and see if anything needs fixing.
Attached Images

Upstate SC GM Truck Club
2013,14 and 2016 Hot Rod Pour Tour

http://upstategmtrucks.com/

Get out and drive the truck this summer and have some fun!
It sucks not being able to hear!

LWB trucks rule, if you don't think so measure your SWB!
After talking to tech support at Air Lift I have found out that the kit I need is 60811. Per the measurements I gave them. Ride height of truck inside spring and inside diameter of springs.
Andy4639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2019, 07:40 AM   #2
Palf70Step
State of Confusion!

Re: 64 ss

Wiring, oh so much fun. At least your PO didn't use a running lawnmower as a wiring tool. Several of mine sure looked that way when I went to see what they did to "fix" things.

Member of Louisiana Classic Truck Club (LCTC)

Bill's Gallery
Life isn't tied with a bow, but it's still a gift.
Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God!
Palf70Step is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2019, 08:42 AM   #3
GOPAPA
"Tail Gate Best Seat In House"

Wiring is got to be the most puzzling thing in a car or truck to deal with,,especially if done all wrong by a hurry up wiring person.. you are pretty good at it Andy and have guided me in good directions from time to time.. did I evee mention that I owned a 63 409 back in my young days? it would be pretty much the same at your dads 64 ..
Old 10-20-2019, 10:32 AM   #4
Andy4639
Old member

Thumbs up Re: 64 ss

Quote:
Palf70Step
64 ss
Wiring, oh so much fun. At least your PO didn't use a running lawnmower as a wiring tool. Several of mine sure looked that way when I went to see what they did to "fix" things.
He just cut the wire off the coil and left it. The other that runs down to the starter is still there, it will be removed today. I found 2 big black wires also that ran to the fuse block over to the heater area but where cut off on both sides. I have no idea where they went.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOPAPA View Post
Wiring is got to be the most puzzling thing in a car or truck to deal with,,especially if done all wrong by a hurry up wiring person.. you are pretty good at it Andy and have guided me in good directions from time to time.. did I evee mention that I owned a 63 409 back in my young days? it would be pretty much the same at your dads 64 ..
If you did I had forgotten. Man a 409 in your younger day's I bet you had some fun in that! I really like the Impala over the 56 as far as driving it but I wished the LT-1 and over drive where in it instead of the 56!

Upstate SC GM Truck Club

After talking to tech support at Air Lift I have found out that the kit I need is 60811. Per the measurements I gave them. Ride height of truck inside spring and inside diameter of springs.
Old 10-20-2019, 02:45 PM   #5
GOPAPA
"Tail Gate Best Seat In House"

This is the only photo I ever got of the 63 409 425 HP
I was helping my brother build his house ,,I remember is burning lots of gas at around 49 cents a gallon

Name:  409-01.jpg
Views: 313
Size:  79.7 KB
Old 10-20-2019, 06:39 PM   #6
Andy4639
Old member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOPAPA View Post
This is the only photo I ever got of the 63 409 425 HP
I was helping my brother build his house ,,I remember is burning lots of gas at around 49 cents a gallon

Attachment 1951284
Cool and it the right color!

I got all the wiring straightened out I hope and painted the console and top + cleared it today. I've been up since day break. Man it took longer than I thought but I think I found the problem with the battery going dead. The drivers side courtesy light was not turning off when the door was shut but the light wasn't working either. I hope I fixed it we shall see.
I also pulled the fuse block a part and cleaned it up good with a file and wire brush.
Attached Images

Upstate SC GM Truck Club

Old 10-21-2019, 10:12 PM   #7
Andy4639
Old member

Talking Re: 64 ss

I finished up the center console and man does it look good. Well at least I think so! I even added a little custom touch to it and it's not the lights. Can you see what it is?
Attached Images

Upstate SC GM Truck Club