The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > projects and builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-10-2010, 03:12 PM   #1
tsm

'61 stepside junk truck budget build

I've been wanting to give my 1961 c10 stepside a little TLC. I've had her for a few years and was my junk hauler. Her role won't change she just need a face lift. My plans for this truck are to make it drivable and classic looking. Personally, I don't have any previous experience working on auto, however my best friend has been offering forever to help me out with a budget restore. He knows wtf is going on, and I don't lol. Currently she's got a 327 w/ 350 heads a set of shorties, cherry bombs, and a 12-bolt one legger rearend. I'm going for used parts off craigslist. It will be interesting to see how much I can find.

Got a aluminum rear tank of CL $200 w/sending unit ect.. Made a little mounting area w/ some angle iron and Also scrubbed down and applied metal cleaner and first coat of por15

Dirty, she's been sitting for a while. Getting ready to pull engine but first gotta run a compression test.

Picked up some www off the CL $60. Also picked up some chrome rims with moons that aren't perfect for $50 (not pictured)

She has a super clean bed. Picked up the bumper $30

About to complete rip the interior out. I need a new wheel. The seat is in pretty good condition. Kind of apprehensive about looking under the carpet and finding rust.

Bought a front end off a '73 with ps disc ect. Scrub down and getting ready for the por15 then replacing all the bushing and joints.

Tail gate $10 off CL. needs work but it'll look nice on the truck.

HAggled for $50

I Plan on putting a 2" tach, oil pressure, and electrical updated gauges.Need a lot of work.

I'll be posting bi-weekily maybe more often. I'd like to hear any comments or tips for this project.
tsm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 03:31 PM   #2
Tx Firefighter
Watch out for your cornhole !

Re: '61 stepside junk truck budget build

Neat start on the project.

Two notes though to save you some serious heartache. That is absolutely, positively not a 73 front end. That is a 71-72 front end. I can tell by two things.

1) The control arm bushings are steel screw in type. They only used them through 72.
2) The brake line tabs on the front of the crossmember positively identify it as 71-72.

If you buy 73 parts for it you're going to pay hell. Be sure and buy 71-72 parts.
Old 04-10-2010, 05:36 PM   #3
aerotruk63
Check The Champ, Demonstrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tx Firefighter View Post

Two notes though to save you some serious heartache. That is absolutely, positively not a 73 front end. That is a 71-72 front end. I can tell by two things.

1) The control arm bushings are steel screw in type. They only used them through 72.
2) The brake line tabs on the front of the crossmember positively identify it as 71-72.

If you buy 73 parts for it you're going to pay hell. Be sure and buy 71-72 parts.
NOW That's what this site is all about!

YouTube Channel with 20+ Original Chevrolet Truck Salesmen, Mechanics & Service Department Training Slideshows.
https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...otruk63&page=1
aerotruk63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 06:09 PM   #4
62 Bowtie

Damm you the man Tx. Tsm looks like a good lil truck where u at I'm in Elk Grove so your the one baggin all the good deals on CL
62 Bowtie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 10:38 PM   #5
tsm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tx Firefighter View Post

Thank you so much for that correction. You the man +1

Quote:
Originally Posted by 62 Bowtie View Post
Damm you the man Tx. Tsm looks like a good lil truck where u at I'm in Elk Grove so your the one baggin all the good deals on CL
LOL
I'm in Cameron park.
Currently I'm looking for a front window and a floor shifter for now Maybe another L78 www tire.

Last edited by tsm; 04-10-2010 at 10:47 PM.
Old 04-10-2010, 11:51 PM   #6
DPowers
One foot in front of the other

Welcome to the site- sounds like a great start to a cool project.
DPowers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 12:40 AM   #7
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

Welcome to the forum

Looks like you've scored some good deals on craigslist. Keep us posted on your progres......with pics of course.
Hydroboost Mounting Plates HERE
Captainfab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 10:24 AM   #8
javadoc
Hey Watch this...

Looking good! How hard was it to take the bed off? I've been thinking of ripping the bed off of my truck to work on it, but thought, "that'll be a real bear."
javadoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 02:42 PM   #9
tsm

Quote:
Originally Posted by javadoc View Post
Looking good! How hard was it to take the bed off? I've been thinking of ripping the bed off of my truck to work on it, but thought, "that'll be a real bear."
It took maybe 10-15 mins with two guys. Just a little on the heavy side, there's now way I'd do it alone.
Old 04-11-2010, 03:30 PM   #10
Shaky
Six in a row makes it go...

"I love Jesus" bumper sticker needs to stay...
“The height of sophistication is simplicity." - Clare Boothe Luce
Shaky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 02:36 PM   #11
el_bole

Man you are scoring great deals on CL, gotta love CL, I just recently got a '55-'66 stepside in great shape for FREE(Lady's ex-hubby left it in the yard LOL)

I also have a '61 long bed and I just got a rear and front end off of a '73 frame, rolling chassis, is this an easy conversion? I've refered to Markeb01 thread about replacing the front end and it has tons of great info(his is a lil diff. though both his truck and donor are diff. yrs). Keep up the great work...More pics please especially the front end SWAP...
el_bole is offline   Reply With Quote