The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-19-2019, 06:54 PM   #1
heritagewraith

Glow plug relay issue

1983 GMC 3500 6.2 Glow Plug issue.Key on, faded glow plug light, Changed relay. Old relay quit clicking. New Relay doesn't click either. The pink wire to relay is good and powers up with key on. Blue wire from relay to controller has no power. When key is turned to start (Ignition) absolutely nothing happens.

Also, when foot is off clutch voltmeter registers at 9 volts. When clutch is pressed Voltmeter goes up to 13 Volts.

Any Diesel guys out there??? I would greatly appreciate any help, please.

Last edited by heritagewraith; 10-19-2019 at 08:28 PM.
heritagewraith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2019, 12:27 AM   #2
Dead Parrot

Re: Glow plug relay issue

Might check out the CUCV section of the Steelsoldiers website. The Sticky:CUCV helpful threads have the military TMs plus several troubleshooting guides. The CUCVs are basically square K30s with a 6.2 and a partial 24V system. Most of the troubleshooting guides work for the civilian versions of the truck.
Dead Parrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2019, 01:08 AM   #3
kwmech

The relay controller grounds the blue wire. So take a jumper wire with the key on and ground the blue, relay should activate. The controllers are junk along with the heat sensor. Eliminate all of that. Splice into the blue wire and run it inside to a grounded push button. When the engine is cold just hold the button down for no longer than 5-6 seconds at a time with a 'rest' in between so you don't blow the tip of the glow plug
kwmech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2019, 11:16 AM   #4
heritagewraith

Good morning. The original relay was clicking and in the start mode of the key the engine was cranking. The relay had stopped clicking. So, I figured that is had faulted. I purchased a new one, installed it. The new one does not click (cycle). The key in the start position does not engage the starter. I push in the clutch, I have full power (volts). I release clutch, I have 8-9 volts. I only have one battery hooked up. I read somewhere that I need both batteries. The blue wire has no power. I just recently purchased this truck. It has been sitting for about 3 years.
It seems as though that I might have several issues that are occurring.
heritagewraith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2019, 02:17 PM   #5
hatzie

The contactor is usually not the problem. The thermostatic timer module in the intake manifold is usually the issue. GM used these from 1978-1984 on the 4.3L, 5.7L & 6.2L diesels. They were not the most reliable piece of equipment when they were made in this country and the new Chinese versions are just plain not worth buying.
The electrical connector and the controller were both at fault.

I would upgrade to the all-in-one contactor and timer controller that GM used from 1985 til they stopped making the 6.5L in the early 2000's.
I'd also update the old Delco 9G or 11G glowplugs to the Delco 60G Positive Temperature Coefficient glow plugs. Digging the broken ends of the swoolen 9G or 11G glows out of the heads is a miserable job even after you remove the fuel injectors.

The 1983 wiring diagrams have a pretty decent wiring layout of the old thermostatic timer controller.

Download the 1989 RV wiring diagrams for an easy to follow later glowplug wiring diagram.
A shutoff sensor on the head will work as a glow inhibit sensor on the 1985 & later controller or just let the glows run on every startup.
The Metripak connector part number is in the wiring diagram. You can probably get a pigtail if you don't have the tooling to build a plug.
1972 Ford F250 FE390, NP435/NP205 SOLD
1976 Chevy K20, 6.5L, NV4500/NP208 SOLD
1986 M1008 CUCV SOLD
2000 GMC C2500, TD6.5L, NV4500
2005 Chevy Silverado LS 2500HD 6.0L 4L80E/NP263
2009 Impala SS LS4 V8

RTFM... GM Parts Books, GM Schematics, GM service manuals, and GM training materials...Please include at least the year and model in your threads. It'll be easier to answer your questions.
And please let us know if and how your repairs were successful.

Last edited by hatzie; 10-20-2019 at 02:32 PM.
hatzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 11:14 AM   #6
kwmech

Quote:
Originally Posted by heritagewraith View Post
Good morning. The original relay was clicking and in the start mode of the key the engine was cranking. The relay had stopped clicking. So, I figured that is had faulted. I purchased a new one, installed it. The new one does not click (cycle). The key in the start position does not engage the starter. I push in the clutch, I have full power (volts). I release clutch, I have 8-9 volts. I only have one battery hooked up. I read somewhere that I need both batteries. The blue wire has no power. I just recently purchased this truck. It has been sitting for about 3 years.
It seems as though that I might have several issues that are occurring.
You will not have power to the blue wire----it is a GROUND wire. also sounds like you may have a fusible link out down by the starter
kwmech is offline   Reply With Quote