The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > projects and builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

View Poll Results: If you had the option, which of these grills would you use?
Original 66 painted grill 1 20.00%
64-66 C60 painted grill 2 40.00%
an original aluminum grill that needs to be restored 2 40.00%
the repo aluminum grill that is now available 0 0%
Voters: 5. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-22-2013, 12:50 PM   #151
theastronaut

Re: pdx-sanity66

Floor repair is looking good! I had to do the same job on the blue '65. Its a chore getting everything fitted!
theastronaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 06:11 PM   #152
pdxhall

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark 66 View Post
I feel your pain. we are at about the same place you are. yours is looking good so far.keep posting pics of progress. without others inspiration dont think Id be motivated to keep at it.
Thanks mark. This part has been a challenge for this rookie but now that I've got most of it done I'm pretty happy with it. I know what you mean about inspiration. Starting this thread has really helped me get out and keep working.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theastronaut View Post
Floor repair is looking good! I had to do the same job on the blue '65. Its a chore getting everything fitted!
Thanks John. Yeah, the fitting is crazy. A lot of angles and bends to match up.
I'm striving to give as much attention to detail as you do. I'm not even close, yet, but it gives me something to work toward.
pdxhall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 07:06 PM   #153
McMurphy

I am a rookie too, man you are doing nice work !!

My 66 Stepside
My 64 Tow Truck
My 66 Tempest

Table Of Contents Added to Page1
McMurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 11:18 PM   #154
pdxhall

Quote:
Originally Posted by McMurphy View Post
I am a rookie too, man you are doing nice work !!
Thanks, man. It's been a love/hate relationship with sheetmetal. I just wish I had some real tools for doing this fabrication stuff.
Old 01-24-2013, 02:26 AM   #155
Fleet '66

pdx
I just read through your entire build to date. Nice work you're doing on "sanity66". Looks like a pretty clean ride to start with. I like the name you chose for your project as well. I, for one, can relate to that as we all need to have an outlet or a distraction to keep us sane after the rigors of the "daily grind". You are making steady progress. That's what counts. Good documentation too. Keep the pics coming. I'm sure that I'll be referring back to your build when I get around to starting on the '64 C-10 that I picked up for the wife a while back. It will need several of the same patch panels repairs as yours.
'66 C-10 SWB 350 w/3 spd OD 4:11's - driver/project...future T-5 trans upgrade
'64 C-10 LWB BBW near future project - "The Wife's Ride"
'58 "Apache"Stepside BBW w/'75 K-10 4x4 conversion 331 w/350TH and NP 205 transfer 3:73's - occasional driver/ show
Fleet '66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 05:24 AM   #156
pdxhall

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet '66 View Post
pdx
I just read through your entire build to date. Nice work you're doing on "sanity66". Looks like a pretty clean ride to start with. I like the name you chose for your project as well. I, for one, can relate to that as we all need to have an outlet or a distraction to keep us sane after the rigors of the "daily grind". You are making steady progress. That's what counts. Good documentation too. Keep the pics coming. I'm sure that I'll be referring back to your build when I get around to starting on the '64 C-10 that I picked up for the wife a while back. It will need several of the same patch panels repairs as yours.
Thanks for taking a look. The words of encouragement really help keep the motivation up. Good luck on that next project.

Well, I picked up some more wire for the mig and got a fair amount done on the floor. Everything is welded in but I still need to do a little smoothing and touch up. I had to stop and go in and watch the Blazer game. I'm hoping to get the kick panel and door pillar bottom on before I have to go back to work. I've done these on the other side so it should be much easier.
Attached Images

Old 01-24-2013, 07:04 AM   #157
mark 66

nice work. hope mine looks that good.the other side will probably seem alot easier.
mark 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 02:48 PM   #158
Bomp

Great work Man!!!
You are getting faster at putting in patch panels. They look Great..
Say, awhile back you were doing some research on another truck. What came of it?????
Bomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 06:43 PM   #159
pdxhall

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bomp View Post
Great work Man!!!
You are getting faster at putting in patch panels. They look Great..
Say, awhile back you were doing some research on another truck. What came of it?????
Thanks man. I'm still trying to track down information. I've found that the owners of the house recently passed away and the house is just sitting full of junk. There is one son I haven't been able to find and I just found the names of some other possible relatives that I'm going to try calling this weekend. I went back and looked at it again. It's an unmolested C10 and it has the custom interior with custom wheel, dash knobs, radio, gauges, seat, automatic column, but no air. Outside there's the side trim, sail panels, perfect aluminum grill, and windshield trim. The body has some regular rust on what I can see. The tailgate is straight. I couldn't get to the passenger side to check condition. There are a bunch of bushes blocking access and the bed is full of leaves and junk.
Old 01-27-2013, 01:58 AM   #160
Bomp

Thanks for showing me your truck. You've made some great progress. Nice, clean work. Setting the bar pretty high. I LIKE IT !!!!!
Old 01-27-2013, 08:48 PM   #161
chad64chevy

pdxhall, nice work on the floor patches! they came out a lil better then mine, i hey no one will see them anyways right, lol!! keep it up it will all come together and look great!!
chad64chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 08:04 AM   #162
pdxhall

Quote:
Thanks for showing me your truck. You've made some great progress. Nice, clean work. Setting the bar pretty high. I LIKE IT !!!!!
Thanks, man. I'm happy we were finally able to meet up. It was great talking to you. Maybe one of these days I can make down there and check out yours in person.
Quote:
Originally Posted by chad64chevy View Post
pdxhall, nice work on the floor patches! they came out a lil better then mine, i hey no one will see them anyways right, lol!! keep it up it will all come together and look great!!
Thanks, Chad. I keep trying to tell myself that no one will see them, but it seldom works for me that's what it takes me so long to do some things.

I decided to finish up the inner rocker before going any further with the door pillar and welding up the flange on the floor/toe board seam. I realized after Bomp pointed it out to me the other day that I don't need to replace the rear cab corner on the driver side. I had just assumed I would need to since the passenger side needs to be, but it is solid with just a little surface rust on the inside, same with the rear door pillar. I cut out the inner rocker that needed replacing and got the patch piece welded in. I wanted to get this done so I could fit up the outer rocker and see how things lined up. It seems as though I might need to do a little massaging to get the rocker to fit up. I know I've read where others have had problems with these. If anybody that reads this has had fitment problems could you please tell me what you had to do so I know if I'm on the right track?
I took a few more pics but I haven't got them downloaded on to my computer yet. I'll try to get them up later today.
Old 02-03-2013, 02:21 PM   #163
Bomp

It was nice seeing your truck in person, you and other forum members too. Maybe someday after my foot heals there can be a get together down in these parts.
On your cab corners, and the rest of your cab. It looks really solid.
I would sand down the corners in question to bare metal to make absolutely sure there just as solid. You may also look real carefully on the inside.
If anything looks suspicious you can tap at it with a pic or something to see if it gives and then repair accordingly.
On the rockers. From what I've seen. Have your doors on where you want them that way the bottom gap will be correct. Keep the rockers in place with a few simple tacks and then open or remove the doors to finish up the rocker install.
I've looked at tons of threads and all have there bits and pieces of good information but Alan's Classic is the only one that comes to mind off the top of my head.
Alan's Classic link:
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/member.php?u=33050

This link will help pin point you to were rocker work starts:
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...=248460&page=2

So I hope this helps. Good luck. You do a great job.

Last edited by Bomp; 02-03-2013 at 02:26 PM. Reason: added additional link to help start research.
Old 02-04-2013, 03:21 AM   #164
pdxhall

Thanks Greg,
I inspected the inside very closely after I talked with you and I'm pretty sure the cab corner is solid, not so much on the pass. side. That's exactly what I did on the pass. side rocker to check alignments but I was also using the stock rocker so I new it should fit. This repop seems to be a little off on either length or the curve up to one of the door pillars. I'm still working on it.
I'll do some more research and fitting on my next days off. I've spent a lot of time looking over Alan's build for info, also. His build has been a great resource.
Old 02-14-2013, 11:20 PM   #165
pdxhall

I finally got some time today to get back to work on the truck and updating some pics from last week. I've got the kick panel, floor and inner rocker all done and the front door pillar tacked on. I hung the door and checked out the fit for the outer rocker and it is looking good. I'm having to do a little surgery on the rocker to get it to fit the lines of the front door pillar. I'm going to work on that tomorrow and hopefully get the door pillar bottom welded and bolted in for good and get the rocker back on. It's sad but true that you have to get very creative with some of these aftermarket parts.
Here are a few pics.
Attached Images

Old 02-15-2013, 12:38 AM   #166
allaboutchevelles

Very nice work on the patch panels. Very true on having to get creative making those aftermarket panels fit properly. Your doing a Great job!
Old 02-15-2013, 11:44 AM   #167
Bomp

Excellent, job well done!
Getting so close to putting the cab back on the frame.
Old 02-17-2013, 05:26 AM   #168
pdxhall

Quote:
Originally Posted by allaboutchevelles View Post
Very nice work on the patch panels. Very true on having to get creative making those aftermarket panels fit properly. Your doing a Great job!
Thanks, man.

Quote:
Excellent, job well done!
Getting so close to putting the cab back on the frame.
Thanks. Yeah, I hope I can get the cab on it's back in the next couple of weeks so I can get it cleaned up, primered, and painted. The outer rocker has been a POS, though. It just didn't fit right. The old one fits right on but this new one is a little funky the way the curves line up to the front door pillar. I had to make some relief cuts to get things to line up correctly. I'm very close now but had to quit for the week and get back to the paying job.

A couple more pics of my progress this week. I had the door off and on at least 4 times while getting things to fit. I think I'm ready to attach the outer rocker on my next days off.
Attached Images

Last edited by pdxhall; 02-17-2013 at 08:03 AM.
Old 02-27-2013, 12:04 AM   #169
pdxhall

I managed to get nothing done on Sanity on my last days off and I'm blaming Bomp! I have been kicking around the idea of making a bead blast cabinet from a 55 gal. drum for a while now but didn't really need it that much yet. Well, thanks to Bomp ( just messin' with ya bud) for posting the blast cabinet he made, that's what I spent my time doing last weekend. You know, once the seed is planted......
I still have some more to do to finish it so I hope I can either get it done this weekend and work on the truck or be able to set it aside and work on the truck, but I need to get that outer rocker on and be done with floor patching for now.
Old 02-27-2013, 02:12 AM   #170
Bomp

Whew, thought I was in trouble for a moment.
I got some glass bead (80grit) at Harbor Freight. You will really like it. I got my little blaster gun there too but its a bit cumbersome.
Your progress is great, sometimes its good to take a break.
Posted via Mobile Device
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-27-2013, 03:38 AM   #171
jimmydean

You've still gotten way more than me done.
Dropmember front
Dropmember rear
Corvette discs
Restored raised bed

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s....php?p=4295210
jimmydean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 03:38 AM   #172
pdxhall

Quote:
Whew, thought I was in trouble for a moment.
I got some glass bead (80grit) at Harbor Freight. You will really like it. I got my little blaster gun there too but its a bit cumbersome.
Your progress is great, sometimes its good to take a break.
Posted via Mobile Device
Posted via Mobile Device
When I was just out of high school I worked for a guy that owned the local auto parts store / welding supply store / machine shop and he taught me how to do some of the machine work as I worked there for a while. He bought a glass bead blaster while I was working there. Probably one of the first on the market over 40 years ago, so I got to do a lot of bead blasting back then and I wanted one real back. I had a small cabinet years ago but it is long gone. When I started on this truck I knew I would have to get me another one eventually. They're great for cleaning up smaller parts. I have one of those blaster guns I bought awhile back and tried it a couple of times without a cabinet. Too messy.
Old 03-01-2013, 12:23 AM   #173
Ta2Don

Finally getting around to checking out the progress on your build, Keep up the great work.. The floors and rockers appear to be coming together nicely, especially with all the work you've put in... Impressive to say the least!
Proverbs 27:17
US Air Force Retarded errr Retired
My '65 Stepper Build:http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=533920
My '60 Rusty Patina Build:http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...66#post7402266
My '72 http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...59#post7204359 SOLD
Ta2Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 07:20 AM   #174
pdxhall

Well I finally got the outer rocker on and most of it welded. This was a real crappy patch panel and I really should have sent it back and tried another but by the time I figured that out I had spent so much time making it work that I stuck it out. I stared at it forever before I finally realized the main problem. It was twisted somewhat and the front where the clean out hole is, was not put together correctly. But it's on and I just need to do a little finish welding on that and the floor/toeboard flange and this part is done.
I also worked on my version of the barrel blaster.
Attached Images

Old 03-03-2013, 03:06 PM   #175
Bomp

Lookin good.
I've got to get my rockers on so I guess you've passed me.
Barrel blaster lookin' good too. What are your plans for the arm holes?