The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Electrical

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-16-2018, 07:22 AM   #1
cwii

Gauges and Wiring harness

I am Installing an LS3/TR6060 into a 47 Chevy. Ive connected the standalone engine harness and ECM and I got to thinking how do the gauges connect? Will be installing Dakota Digital gauges. Their instructions say to remove existing oil, water, temp sensors etc and install theirs, which is then connected to the gauge cluster. Won't This set failures in the ECM, ie no oil pressure. Is there somewhere different on the engine where the DD gauge sensors can be installed and still leave the OEM sensors connected to satisfy the ECM?
Thanks,
Chuck
cwii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2018, 02:30 PM   #2
LH Lead-Foot

Re: Gauges and Wiring harness

The PCM takes the 5 volts oil pressure signal, converts into class2 serial data and send it to the original instrument cluster. The Crank, Cam and Coolant temp are the main inputs for the PCM from the engine....other than MAF.

I have wire schematics up to 2004 depending on the year, so perhaps I can help with wire colors and terminal number if needed. But don't worry out oil pressure signal. As for aftermarket temp sensor, most go with metic adaptor into passengers rear cylinder head. Same as OE on drivers side.

Hope this help a little.
Old 10-05-2018, 08:47 PM   #3
Longhornss

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwii View Post
I am Installing an LS3/TR6060 into a 47 Chevy. Ive connected the standalone engine harness and ECM and I got to thinking how do the gauges connect? Will be installing Dakota Digital gauges. Their instructions say to remove existing oil, water, temp sensors etc and install theirs, which is then connected to the gauge cluster. Won't This set failures in the ECM, ie no oil pressure. Is there somewhere different on the engine where the DD gauge sensors can be installed and still leave the OEM sensors connected to satisfy the ECM?
Thanks,
Chuck
Get the DD BIM-01-2 It is a OBD interface which will read your existing ECM. and if you are running the trans through a GM computer as well it will also see vehicle speed and trans temp.

then there is no need to install the Dakota Sensors at all.

Here is a link
http://www.dakotadigital.com/index.c...rod/prd752.htm
Longhornss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2018, 10:33 AM   #4
cwii

Thanks for the answers. Longhornss I wasn't aware the bim module was available. Looks like the easiest solution
cwii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2018, 12:40 PM   #5
Longhornss

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwii View Post
Thanks for the answers. Longhornss I wasn't aware the bim module was available. Looks like the easiest solution
Yes for sure if you are running a GM Computer this is defiantly the way to go. I should clarify that the BIM is only compatible with the VFD3 rev. G, VHX and HDX control box instrument systems only. Earlier control boxes (with an aluminum case) are not compatible with the BIM family of Expansion Modules.

Depending on how the Speed sensor on the TR6060 and oil pressure sensor is wired those are the two connections you may have to hard wire into the Dakota Digital Cluster.
Longhornss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2018, 02:47 PM   #6
LH Lead-Foot

With a complete matching package from donor vehicle with PCM, the Tremec TR6060 will have a two wire high resolution VSS sensor that is wired directly into the PCM. The VSS sensor signal is split into several outputs depending on the vehicle it came from.
The PCM see's an A/C signal coming from a permanent magnet generator type VSS sensor and changes it into a a D/C signal. While calling one wire VSS High, the other VSS Low, it make no difference. It take the signal and sends it to the dash on a class 2 single wire network. It is shared with ABS brakes on many models for rear wheel speed, but also for the radio so the volume level changes with speed and road noise.
In your case, the VSS signal between the trans sensor & PCM can be spliced into and sent to the Dakota Digital Dash if instructions or customer service says it will work that way. Just supply a good ground wire, twisted with the other two wires and I like to cover it with foil tape, but ground on each end for reducing induced radio frequency interference, creating a clean signal. GM does it factory.

Note; Place wires into a vise, and the other end in a drill...pull tight, turn drill on and walk towards the vise as they twist together.

The coolant temp sensor and oil pressure sensor from Dakota Digital can be install using metric threaded adaptors for $20 on eBay (Item # 262521228458) that replaces the stock oil pressure sender in the same location, but installs the coolant temp sensor into the passenger rear head location, opposite of the OEM temp sensor the PCM needs to see for fuel, timing and idle speed.
These adaptors are quality brass alloy with a soft aluminum gasket which allows for ground thru the sensor body. The OEM oil pressure sensor uses the same socket that fits idiot light switches back to the 60's.
As I said earlier, the OEM oil signal is a "Pass-Thru" the PCM, via class2 into the dash.
Also, you have to wire the PCM's reverse lock-out circuit into the TR6060 (Called Reverse Inhibit solenoid) has two wires, 1 hot with key, the other is LT GRN to the PCM, to allow reverse shifting below 5 MPH. It's part of the package.
They also employ a Clutch pedal position switch, hot with key, open with clutch pedal depressed, into the PCM for keeping you from making a Boo-Boo when starting.
Yes, you can purchase several different aftermarket modules, like the Dakota Digitals BIM-01-2 for $100, but why if you don't need it. The coolant & oil sensors are one wire each and should be wired into a 10 or 12 way connector behind the dash as found on many 20 year old GM's sitting in the bone yard. Just cut them off leaving a few inches of wire on both male & female side, then solder, shrink tube them into place.
Call Dakota Digital's customer service after reading the instructions, but have the model number ready to get it right. A $100 bucks here, a $100 there...and soon you have enough to fill the gas tank with high octane a couple of times.

Last edited by LH Lead-Foot; 10-06-2018 at 03:03 PM.
LH Lead-Foot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2018, 03:42 PM   #7
LH Lead-Foot

CWii / Chuck, Congratulations on your Dakota Digital purchase. It appears you are limited to 3 type of gauge options....What a world!

Not knowing which on you have, but it appears each of the 3 have all you need.
#1 DD, HDX-47C-PU uses an HDX module for inputs & out puts. Page 9 is the OEM speed sensor info. Wire as I described using the two wires from OE sensor.

#2 DD, Digital Series III uses a module for same. See page 10 for two wire VSS signal and wire as described.

#3 VHX-47-PU uses a module for same. See page 8 for two wire VSS signal.

Dakota Digital is using or supplies an oil pressure and coolant temp sensor that has more that one wire. So one is probably 5 volt reference and the coolant is two wires, using a positive temperature coefficient resistor that one wire is input and the other is return. The PTC resistor is industry standard and resistance goes low when hot, high resistance when cold. Think of it like your girl friend or wife.

If both of these sensors are 1/8" NPT, then the eBay kit number is all you need. I found out, one day, that if you type in just the # on eBay, it goes straight to the item. Hell, I'm too old to keep up.

Just let me know if you need wire colors as I can go up to 2004. That's it. Otherwise, if you have a PCM Tuner Dude, he may be able to supply the wire color for any PCM / Vehicle you have that is newer than 2004. Also, re-programming a PCM to a manual transmission, if I am not mistaken, create a quicker throttle response as compared to a auto...But a manual is what you're using.

Don't forget you clutch switch. It can be fabricate & wired real easy, so be safe.

Have a good build!