The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-16-2007, 05:46 PM   #26
VDOG
Grand PooBaa Member

Re: My Disc Install

Just finished lowering the back with 4 inch coils. Now I have to go buy an Easy Out kit so I can get that broken bolt out and pick up my axles.
Attached Images

VDOG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2007, 10:49 PM   #27
albertarose

Looks good ..did you leave the upper arms unmolested ?I m starting on mine this week too same project..can you tell if the bushings are worn out when you get the springs out like that? od do you change them anyway..? keep up the good work..thanks for the pics!
albertarose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007, 01:57 PM   #28
VDOG
Grand PooBaa Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by albertarose View Post
Looks good ..did you leave the upper arms unmolested ?I m starting on mine this week too same project..can you tell if the bushings are worn out when you get the springs out like that? od do you change them anyway..? keep up the good work..thanks for the pics!
I have not change the bushings,....yet. I plan on taking it all apart again later. I still have a few more things around the house I have to do first before I can completely tear ir down. Thats when the new bushing will go in along with getting the frame done.
Old 04-17-2007, 05:24 PM   #29
prostreet1967

Quote:
Originally Posted by VDOG View Post
I forgot to mention, the brake hoses, the driver side fit my brake line, the passenger side was bigger. I went back to Kragen, re-ordered the line, same size came back, different box. The fix was a reducer that fit the large end and the small end of my brake line. That was the cheapest thing I bought,...$4.30.
Now I've started on the back, got one coil (4 inch drop) in. Tried to take the axels out. After removing the cover I turn the screw that holds the pin in only to find out its broke. I was told that I have to hit the pin with something to break the holding screw and force it out. You can see where I have been hitting the pin. Anyone have any other ideas on how to do this??

My other option is go and get the whole rear end wheels and all of a 73 truck
ive ran into this problem more times than i care to rember before i found out how to do it i beat it out cut it out sometimes u can get lucky and use a pic to try to spin it out most of the time its only held by a half a thread anyways i bought a tool from a local shop here in fort worth for 30 bucks and i have made my mney back hundreds of times here in fort worth theres a place that specializes in differentials the kit includes a bolt thats drilled in the center just screw it in the differential and i wedges against the old bolt to keep it from spinning then the kit has a drill bit about 12 inches its a 7/64 bit after drilling use the supplied extractor and it will come out with your fingers. takes about 10 min after breaking the bolt
prostreet1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007, 08:16 PM   #30
VDOG
Grand PooBaa Member

I was told a diamond tip drill bit is what I need to get the bolt out.
Whatever I can find, im tired of trying to beat it out, arms are sore now. Last option is to visit the wrecking yard and grab a 73 or later rear end with the wheels on it.
Old 04-17-2007, 11:40 PM   #31
albertarose

thats the best thing about these trucks !!..there are still parts to be found for them..I heard cabs are getting rare though ..
albertarose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007, 11:54 PM   #32
SCOTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by VDOG View Post
.... Went to CPP..... rear shock mounts and track bar and hardware.
Did you get the delux track bar kit or just the adjustable bar that mounts @ the top of the differential like stock?

If it's the delux kit, any chance of pics of the brackets (installed or not, doesn't matter.... just trying to decipher some confusing info).
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.

Last edited by SCOTI; 04-17-2007 at 11:56 PM.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2007, 12:07 AM   #33
sodak69c10

hey great looking truck so far, i using this thread for info on doing disc brakes on mine by the way glad to see another 283

69 C-10 short stepside 406 sbc, 02 YAMAHA WR250F, 07 SUZUKI SV650S, 81 Grand Prix 355 sbc, 81 XT 500 YAMAHA
sodak69c10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2007, 12:59 PM   #34
VDOG
Grand PooBaa Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTI View Post
Did you get the delux track bar kit or just the adjustable bar that mounts @ the top of the differential like stock?

If it's the delux kit, any chance of pics of the brackets (installed or not, doesn't matter.... just trying to decipher some confusing info).
My original track bar is out right now, and I have not installed the new one yet. I bought the deluxe kit with the front and back sway bars. I will get you a few pics within the hour.
Old 04-18-2007, 01:18 PM   #35
VDOG
Grand PooBaa Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sodak69c10 View Post
hey great looking truck so far, i using this thread for info on doing disc brakes on mine by the way glad to see another 283
Thanks, its a pretty stout 283. eventuly I will replace it with a 350,....Maybe.
Im in no hurry since I've had it 10 years, it has not gave me any problems.
Old 04-18-2007, 05:09 PM   #36
VDOG
Grand PooBaa Member

Here is the Track Bar pictures. Track bar is place just for the picture, im not ready to install it yet.
Attached Images

Old 04-18-2007, 05:28 PM   #37
SCOTI

Thanks. I was hoping it was the "Delux" track bar which is the long bar that runs over to the pass trailing arm vs the differential.

I've been waiting for a reply from CPP on the 'Delux' kit. Their online catalog has 2 different pics for the same P/N so it was confusing which bracket actually came w/the kit. I spoke w/a rep this morning & discussed the different pics. . ...... they weren't aware of the issue but are now .
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2007, 06:19 PM   #38
VDOG
Grand PooBaa Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTI View Post
Thanks. I was hoping it was the "Delux" track bar which is the long bar that runs over to the pass trailing arm vs the differential.

I've been waiting for a reply from CPP on the 'Delux' kit. Their online catalog has 2 different pics for the same P/N so it was confusing which bracket actually came w/the kit. I spoke w/a rep this morning & discussed the different pics. . ...... they weren't aware of the issue but are now .

Now here is the rub, the deluxe kit comes with coils, sway bars, front and rear shocks but not the shock relocator kit. The basic kit come with same as deluxe except front and rear sway bars and includes the shock relocator.
Go figure.
Old 04-18-2007, 07:30 PM   #39
AuggieStyle

I like the stance, how much of a drop is it? front and rear.
AuggieStyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2007, 12:37 PM   #40
VDOG
Grand PooBaa Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AuggieStyle View Post
I like the stance, how much of a drop is it? front and rear.
I went with 3" front and 4" rear. I installed stock height spindles because I did not want to go too low. At least right now. Once I install the new tires in the back, it should bring the back down just a bit more.
Old 07-11-2012, 02:05 AM   #41
BC Toy chest

Hey VDOG, like your project and it was nice to meet you at Brothers Truck show, I will post some pictures of your truck and some of the other trucks later. Incase your forgot I am Kabwe 's friend.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=432758
BC Toy chest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 01:00 PM   #42
Belairbob

I just pulled the wheels off my 72 for the first time last night and noticed
they had spacers behind them. The wheels are the slotted rallies that look
just like yours except they are not chrome. What ever year these wheels are
they must not fit our trucks very well since mine has spacers and you had to
grind your calipers to fit. Anyway your trucks looking good!
Bob
Belairbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 01:05 PM   #43
VDOG
Grand PooBaa Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BC Toy chest View Post
Hey VDOG, like your project and it was nice to meet you at Brothers Truck show, I will post some pictures of your truck and some of the other trucks later. Incase your forgot I am Kabwe 's friend.
I remember you BC. Thanks I would like to see what my truck looks like to others. Somedays I like my truck and other days I dont. Is that a GTO in your icon?
Old 07-11-2012, 01:11 PM   #44
VDOG
Grand PooBaa Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belairbob View Post
I just pulled the wheels off my 72 for the first time last night and noticed
they had spacers behind them. The wheels are the slotted rallies that look
just like yours except they are not chrome. What ever year these wheels are
they must not fit our trucks very well since mine has spacers and you had to
grind your calipers to fit. Anyway your trucks looking good!
Bob
Thanks for the compliment on my truck. My rallyes are from US Wheel thats why they were chrome. I got them from a friend of mine. I put my disc brakes together through Kargen(Now O'Reily Auto Parts) and its 73-87 brake parts. Rallyes for 73 and up trucks were different then the corvette style rims. I had to grind off very little, but I dont use spacers at all. Maybe they were installed to keep the rim from rubbing.