The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Engine & Drivetrain > LSx Swaps

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-10-2014, 06:03 PM   #1
WiggyHD

Newb at the 5.3L swap game...

That is what I have thought of right now for my 69'C-10 shortbed. This is just for the fueling and getting it running. I will post the installation stuff in another thread. I know there is and FAQ, and hours or threads to read, but I was just confusing myself. So, I took it back to basics. Patience is appreciated. What do you think?

-67-71 Suburban fuel tank
-Airtex 01' Suburban fuel pump Part #E3501M (Max PSI=90-110 at pump w/50-60 GPH)
-Russell Performance adapter fitting: http://www.summitracing.com/search?k...20641300&dds=1
-Pedal assembly (unless I go to cable)
-TAP?
-150tunes.com (or other recommended tuner) for tuning and adaptation of the harness

Thanks!
Mark
Old 11-10-2014, 10:34 PM   #2
WiggyHD

Re: Newb at the 5.3L swap game...

The fuel pump is a stock replacement for an 01' Suburban 6.0L. I am getting the motor, accessories, 4L60, complete/uncut harness, and PCM from the same truck.

Mark
Old 11-12-2014, 01:11 AM   #3
WiggyHD

O.K., maybe I asked that wrong. Can anybody tell me if I missed or overlooked something? My plan is to mount the in tank pump in the suburban tank like I have read somewhere. I have read that there is debate over in tank or in line pumps, so I figured a stock pump would be best. If there are other affordable options, please let me know.

Mark
Old 11-12-2014, 01:16 AM   #4
BR3W CITY
meowMEOWmeowMEOW

I'm not entirely sure what info your looking for but;
I have no idea what TAP is, do you mean TAC (For the drive-by-wire system)?
If the donor truck was DBW, and the engine/ecm and associated wiring is all from the same truck, then all you need to do is source the TAC and pedal from the same truck.

As for the tune, try to get it tuned "in person". Email tunes are fine in many cases, but there is always room for improvement in power and driveability with a physical tune. Things like shift points, firmness, TCC settings are much easier to communicate to someone in person vs mailing your ECM back and forth.

MY BUILD THE H8RDCPTR //\\ MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL REV J HD
BR3W CITY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 12:46 PM   #5
WiggyHD

Quote:
Originally Posted by BR3W CITY View Post
I'm not entirely sure what info your looking for but;
I have no idea what TAP is, do you mean TAC (For the drive-by-wire system)?
If the donor truck was DBW, and the engine/ecm and associated wiring is all from the same truck, then all you need to do is source the TAC and pedal from the same truck.

As for the tune, try to get it tuned "in person". Email tunes are fine in many cases, but there is always room for improvement in power and driveability with a physical tune. Things like shift points, firmness, TCC settings are much easier to communicate to someone in person vs mailing your ECM back and forth.
I'm just looking for confirmation that I have the proper parts in mind for the fueling system. I want to use the 67-72 Suburban tank, and the factory 01' in tank pump fits the measurements, but, I'm not entirely sure about the flow and PSI. I'm sorry, yes, I meant TAC, that's how unsure I was about ordering parts. Everything I'm getting is from the same truck which is either and 04' or 05' Sub, so I have access to the pedal and TAC also. The fuel line connector is a part I found on a thread here. I believe that there is no fuel return, but I'm not sure of that either. I haven't seen the setup yet. Is there an affordable option for a fuel tank that I won't have to modify for the in tank pump? There is no local tuner that I am aware of. For the time being, I was just going to use the factory tune with the entire harness since I haven't learned yet about taking the harness down to just what I need, tanking those things out of the PCM. I don't know if I worded that right, but I hope you understand. I am a guy that prefers to do things myself, but I know when to ask for guidance also. I believe that there is software that I could use with a laptop to adjust things like you mentioned such as tire size. I have no idea what size I want yet, but I know what diff gear ratio I have. Anyway, I'm just double and triple checking that what I'm wanting to do makes sense.

Thanks for your help!
Mark
Old 11-22-2014, 11:05 PM   #6
Lazyb

With that tank you will have to modify the bed from what I have read. My 04 engine does have a 2 line setup on the engine, pressue and return. I bought a 90 jeep wrangler tank for my truck but I'm going with a inline pump. It is supposed to fit reall good. It's just a 15gal tank though. I have bungs to weld in the tank for a sump feed and a 70 surburban sending unit for the fuel guage. I wouldn't recommend buying stuff until you are sure of your engines fuel setup as there are different options depending on what you have. Ask around you may find a "speed shop" that may be close to you and help with you ECM tunning. Hope this helps some.
Lazyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2014, 11:06 AM   #7
Clyde65
1965 Chevy C10, 2005 4.8L/4l60

go with a Boyds tank from the vendor section. You can get one that will slide right in place behind the rear end and can also have the fuel pump already installed, options are available too.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...362307&page=37

Rebuild of Clyde
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...84#post8338184

69 Aristocrat Lo Liner build
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...84#post7561684

support our troops!
Clyde65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2014, 03:39 PM   #8
MalibuSSwagon

LT1swap.com will reprogram your PCM for $75 including return shipping.
MalibuSSwagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2014, 05:01 PM   #9
WiggyHD

Great info! Thanks guys!

Mark
Old 11-23-2014, 05:41 PM   #10
H20cooled

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=423035
This is another option for a tank, I want a FI tank that I can fill from behind the license plate and this is the perfect option and not to much work. You can get these tanks from Tanks Inc for pretty cheap and they are good quality FI tanks.

Rich
H20cooled is offline   Reply With Quote