The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Forums > Alternate Tinkerings

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-18-2015, 09:07 PM   #151
Vic1947

Re: '57 Ford Custom 300 Tudor Sedan

Jay called this morning to see if I was still sucking air. Said he figured I was more bowed up than a Halloween cat. True that.

I've just about got the body work whipped. John called from Precision to let me know the trucking company had delivered my windshield, so when I went to pick it up, I quizzed him about his schedule. Naturally, the shop was as full as I've ever seen it, but he said he thought they could start on it Monday. We agreed that I'd drop off the front clip to start with and the rest of the body in a few days.

They'll need to squirt a couple of coats of 2K primer on the parts and do the final blocking with 500 grit. Between now and then, I have to apply Slick Sand to the fenders and the areas on the trunk lid that I had to revisit (my original lines weren't up to snuff). I'll block everything before delivering to Precision and that way I'll know if there's anything I missed.

It's been a real treat getting all the original lines straight. Back in the day, people didn't think anything of jumping up and sitting on a fender or the hood. The cars were sturdy... but not that sturdy. The cumulative abuse from over a half century just kept on popping out. But it's pretty much in the rearview. Except for the shop cleanup. You may notice I've covered some of my stuff in a futile attempt to keep the dust at bay.

Got lots of stuff to do while the car is out for paint. I'll be painting the interior sheet metal and I have to replace all the side glass. I'm dreading that as I used urethane to install some of it and that crap doesn't even want to turn loose. Research says heat is about the only effective way to deal with it. I know from recent experience that a hot knife doesn't begin to cut it so I guess I'll break out the MAPP gas.

After getting the car back from the upholstery shop, I finished installing the trans cooler and made the piece to hide the back of the rear seat. Steve was here yesterday and he took it back to Sedalia so our buddy, Keith, could roll a 1/8" step into it. Then it goes to Jonathon at Sure Coat for powder.

I also had to remake yet another brake line. Thought I had the leak fixed, but noooo... there was a droplet on the floor after a few days and sure enough it was coming from a different connection. I'd already tightened it more than it should have been, so the only recourse was a new line. I haven't seen a fresh leak yet, but it's a sneaky bast@#d. Time will tell.
Attached Images

Maybelline - my '57 Ford 2dr Sedan "Mecum'd" 3/2016 Location unknown
Silver Streaker "Mecum'd" 4/2013 Somewhere in Texas
Vic1947 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 09:13 PM   #152
Elliot949
Dan Johnston

What brand of 2k do you use

Haulin's Build Thread: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=671130SOLD

B Bears Build Thread:http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=744210
Elliot949 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 09:32 PM   #153
jlsanborn

Yikes, side glass too?! Is that seat back visible through the trunk? Bet it'll be nice to be done with the sand paper and get a broom down
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=471776
jlsanborn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 09:39 PM   #154
Vic1947

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elliot949 View Post
What brand of 2k do you use
Hey Dan, I use SPI (Southern Polyurethanes, Inc.) products. You can browse their stuff on the web, but you'll need to call them with an order. I don't know what Precision Collision uses, but it smells different when you sand it than the SPI. Having been in the body bidness, I'm sure you're like me and don't want to risk mixing product lines too much. That said, modern 2K primers seem to tolerate a wide range of topcoats and I've never had an issue with SPI.
Old 02-18-2015, 09:44 PM   #155
Elliot949
Dan Johnston

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic1947 View Post
Hey Dan, I use SPI (Southern Polyurethanes, Inc.) products. You can browse their stuff on the web, but you'll need to call them with an order. I don't know what Precision Collision uses, but it smells different when you sand it than the SPI. Having been in the body bidness, I'm sure you're like me and don't want to risk mixing product lines too much. That said, modern 2K primers seem to tolerate a wide range of topcoats and I've never had an issue with SPI.
Thanks Vic .. so it is a high build?... what tip do y out spray with.. .3 or .5

Haulin's Build Thread: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=671130SOLD

Old 02-18-2015, 09:53 PM   #156
Vic1947

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlsanborn View Post
Yikes, side glass too?! Is that seat back visible through the trunk? Bet it'll be nice to be done with the sand paper and get a broom down
Yeah, the quarter glass I planned to use that matched the front door and vent glass had to be replaced. One was delaminated and the other was cracked. The tint on then new pieces was way different than the old so it wouldn't look right. I've ordered the door and vent glass to match the new quarter glass I have. While I was at it, I was concerned that the windshield might not be the right one. Test fitting the one I had into the opening led me to think it might be for a Fairlane. Rather than risk it not working, I ordered a new one that is specific to the '57 70A/70B body. Set the two side by side this morning and measured them. Of course, the new one is exactly the same as what I have.

The seat back springs show thru the opening at the front of the trunk which is why I made the panel. It will hide them from view. The trim shop wants me to finish out the trunk in matching vinyl and carpet including side panels that hide the insides of the quarter panels. Not sure about that yet. May have to wait until we get back from from Power Tour and see how much is left in the piggy bank.
Old 02-18-2015, 10:04 PM   #157
Vic1947

Quote:
Thanks Vic .. so it is a high build?... what tip do y out spray with.. .3 or .5
They offer a regular build and a high build. I've tried both and like the regular build better but YMMV. I use a 2.0 mm tip which works reasonably well. Years ago it would have been too stingy, but these days, the reduced volume cuts down on the runs. With primer, an occasional run is nothing to worry about, but I still prefer to avoid them if possible. As I enter my second (third... fourth?) childhood, my attention span ain't what it used to be, so I need all the help I can get.
Old 02-18-2015, 10:05 PM   #158
sduckworth13

Nice work Vic, and thanks for the help on the lug nut spacers and blocking tutorial crash course. I can really appreciate how much time and skill goes into blocking any fender but especially those fenders you have with all the contours on it. That inner fender you repair looks great too.
Old 02-18-2015, 10:09 PM   #159
Elliot949
Dan Johnston

Quote:
They offer a regular build and a high build. I've tried both and like the regular build better but YMMV. I use a 2.0 mm tip which works reasonably well. Years ago it would have been too stingy, but these days, the reduced volume cuts down on the runs. With primer, an occasional run is nothing to worry about, but I still prefer to avoid them if possible. As I enter my second (third... fourth?) childhood, my attention span ain't what it used to be, so I need all the help I can get.
Man I understand that attention span deal... at 60 I have ADDHDD plus more ADD... LOL... I get bored WAY to easy...

Thanks for the info... I have been using Dupont Uro-Prime but the changed the formula a few years ago and it just isn't the same...

Old 02-19-2015, 12:14 AM   #160
jlsanborn

Quote:
Of course, the new one is exactly the same as what I have.
Looks like you'll be taking care of another one for a while. That's a drag Vic but at least you'll have a spare.
Old 02-19-2015, 02:07 PM   #161
Low Elco

Blockin', blockin' blockin'... I miss the smell of URO. Good stuff, but it packed a wallop! I need to buy some SPI the next go round. Nason's 2k worked pretty good on the little blue car. Keep it up, and as always, don't hesitate a second to call if you need anything. Great to see you and Miss Kathy this weekend.
Low Elco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2015, 06:14 PM   #162
Vic1947

Quote:
Originally Posted by sduckworth13 View Post
Nice work Vic, and thanks for the help on the lug nut spacers and blocking tutorial crash course. I can really appreciate how much time and skill goes into blocking any fender but especially those fenders you have with all the contours on it. That inner fender you repair looks great too.
Thanks, Scott. Anytime you want to listen to me cuss, just come on over while I'm doing body work.
Quote:
Looks like you'll be taking care of another one for a while. That's a drag Vic but at least you'll have a spare.
That's what Kathy said, John. You never know, a rock chip can ruin a perfectly good windshield at any time. A third of the cost is the truck freight, so there's no point in sending it back.

Today made it all the way up to 20 degrees and there's an inch of new snow on the ground. Nevertheless, I was determined to spray the Slick Sand on the parts that were ready. Covered up as much as I could and blasted away. After about 5 minutes, my shoes were sticking to the floor, but I stayed with it. After using all the material I had on hand, I quickly opened the garage door and turned on the floor fan. A few minutes later it was freezing, but the air was clear so I closed the door and let the heater work its magic.

I had mistakenly thought the hood only needed blocking because the underside had seam sealer between the substructure and the skin, plus it was all dressed in a smooth coat of primer. So I used some 320 grit on the DA to clean it up and lo and behold, it needed some serious attention. That's what I get for crowing to Steve that I was all but done with mixing putty. Better to find out now. I'd been contemplating sending the parts to Precision without reassembling the front clip for the third time. Now I'm not so sure. I don't remember doing it, but a close examination of the hood shows that I removed the skin and then reattached it somewhere back in the mists of time. I reckon I should put it all together one last time just to insure the hood isn't all torqued out of shape. Ford guys will notice the hood is from a '58 cause yours truly liked the factory "scoop". I gave the original to my brother when he was working on a similar project and it's history now. So this one better work.

The door handles and window cranks arrived today. Kathy picked up the arm rests from the anodizer yesterday and it all looks good together. Break time is about over, so I need to get back to the shop and hit it some more. Later.
Attached Images

Old 02-24-2015, 08:44 PM   #163
Vic1947

The last few days have been sort of up and down. The body work has proven to be remarkably resistant to my efforts. I'd planned to have the clip and other removable parts ready to transport to paint yesterday, but setbacks prevailed. This afternoon, I called and asked if I could bring what I had ready and John said the recent spate of bad weather had slammed them and they were full up. He asked if I could delay until next Monday. There's a lot of things I can do with the extra time, so it's no big deal. And it won't help matters to have my parts at their shop if they can't work on them.

I assembled the bare minimum of front clip parts to check my work and see how the hood fit. Good thing I did as there were a couple of spots that needed tweaking. Naturally, while trying to add a small amount of crown to one side, I overdid it. Had Kathy holding down one corner while I pushed on the other with a block in between. It kept springing back and springing back until all at once, it buckled... which led to a hysterical fit of epic proportions. Once I calmed down, I was able to pull the wrinkle out of the substructure and use the slapper on the topside and it ended up right where it needed to be. Tomorrow is supposed to be in the mid 40's for a while in the afternoon, so I'll shoot the last of my Slick Sand on a few pieces and after blocking, everything will be ready for final primer and paint.

One of the things I wanted to address before the car left the workshop was finalizing the mounts for the rear bumper. The car has been back halved with an Alston ladder bar setup and 2x3 frame rails. I also raised the trunk floor 2" to make room for a stainless fuel tank. The '58 bumper has been sectioned about 1.5" and I fabricated a new inner structure a while back. All this meant I'd need custom tabs for mounting it. Before sending the parts out for sand blasting, I measured everything and marked the location of the spuds I'd need to weld into the rear cross member. This afternoon, I wanted to mark the last two holes, so I mocked up the bumper and prepared to bolt up the mounts to the CM. Passenger side fit perfectly, but the driver side is off by a half a hole. I have a little less than 1/4" clearance between the bumper ends and the lower quarter panels, so moving the bumper over to make it fit throws off my dimension on both sides. I've figured out a fix, but it would have been a pleasant change of pace for it to fit like it should have.
Attached Images

Old 02-24-2015, 11:21 PM   #164
sduckworth13

Looks nice Vic. Did you make the arm rest? They look nicely done.
Old 02-24-2015, 11:51 PM   #165
ratty 46

I can only think of one word that describes your drive, persistence and direction on this .. and that would be IMPRESSIVE.

Again - nice work so far.

R46
ratty 46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 11:20 AM   #166
Low Elco

I'm glad it ain't just me. Glad your hood came around. Take heart, good sir, you're gettin' there!
Old 02-25-2015, 11:55 PM   #167
jlsanborn

Clean! Way to show that hood who's boss!
Old 02-26-2015, 12:42 AM   #168
Vic1947

Quote:
Originally Posted by sduckworth13 View Post
Looks nice Vic. Did you make the arm rest? They look nicely done.
Nope, they're eBay items, Scott. My only mod was to have them black anodized.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ratty 46 View Post
I can only think of one word that describes your drive, persistence and direction on this .. and that would be IMPRESSIVE. Again - nice work so far. R46
Thanks, R46! It's been a long road, but I think the end is in sight. Stay tuned.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Low Elco View Post
I'm glad it ain't just me. Glad your hood came around. Take heart, good sir, you're gettin' there!
It's not just you for sure, Chip. Sometimes these old rides have a mind of their own.
Quote:
Clean! Way to show that hood who's boss!
Hey, John. I shot the last of the Slick Sand on the hood today and it looks like it should block out just fine. Now my main worry is the weather. The guy that holds down the weather guesser position at the local TV station seems to think we're in for a witches brew of snow, freezing rain, sleet... you name it over the next week. Could very easily alter my plan to deliver the car to the paint shop on Monday. And of course, at the very least, it could mean another influx of work for Precision and their crew. We'll just have to play it by ear.
Old 02-26-2015, 09:58 AM   #169
Elliot949
Dan Johnston

Hey Vic... What color are you going with on this?...

Old 02-26-2015, 07:15 PM   #170
Vic1947

Quote:
Hey Vic... What color are you going with on this?...
Top color above the stainless trim will be Millennium Silver (like my '68 truck was) and below the stainless trim it will be Cyber Grey Metallic which is on late Corvettes and other GM cars. Bumpers painted to match the lower body color. Between the upper and lower stainless trim will be a foil backed tape that mimics black / grey carbon fiber. It even shades to purple when the sun hits it just right. Interior will be similar colors with black accents. One of my projects when the car returns from the body shop is to make a console the upholstery shop can cover when the car goes back to them in early April. Lots to do. Now if the weather will just cooperate and let me get it to the body shop on Monday!
Old 02-26-2015, 09:53 PM   #171
Elliot949
Dan Johnston

Quote:
Top color above the stainless trim will be Millennium Silver (like my '68 truck was) and below the stainless trim it will be Cyber Grey Metallic which is on late Corvettes and other GM cars. Bumpers painted to match the lower body color. Between the upper and lower stainless trim will be a foil backed tape that mimics black / grey carbon fiber. It even shades to purple when the sun hits it just right. Interior will be similar colors with black accents. One of my projects when the car returns from the body shop is to make a console the upholstery shop can cover when the car goes back to them in early April. Lots to do. Now if the weather will just cooperate and let me get it to the body shop on Monday!
That will give that car a real classy look... Really great choices of color....

Old 02-27-2015, 07:14 PM   #172
Vic1947

John called from Precision Collision this morning to let me know the side glass for the '57 had arrived. While I was there picking it up, we discussed his backlog and the fact that the weather was about to turn bad for the next few days which might impact my ability to get the car to him. Bless his heart, he suggested we just go ahead and get it in there this afternoon. So about 4pm, Russ came by with the rollback and loaded up the rolling chassis and it's now resting comfortably in PC's shop. Over the weekend, I'll get the last little bit of blocking done and shoot 2K on everything. Then when the weather permits next week, I'll haul the rest of the panels to them. Fingers crossed, but it looks like it won't be long until there's icing on the cake.
Attached Images

Old 02-27-2015, 07:57 PM   #173
jlsanborn

Exhaust looks sweet! Can't wait to see a full-body shot. Glad you gotter there in one piece.
Old 03-01-2015, 10:17 PM   #174
Low Elco

Glad you got it in there early. Looks like a prep deck party!
Old 03-01-2015, 11:44 PM   #175
Vic1947

Quote:
Exhaust looks sweet! Can't wait to see a full-body shot. Glad you gotter there in one piece.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Low Elco View Post
Glad you got it in there early. Looks like a prep deck party!
Thanks guys, had a 2K primer party in the workshop today. Looks like a M-80 went off in a bucket of talcum powder. Not sure if Precison will want all the parts tomorrow as they're really busy now, but I don't want to be the holdup... just in case they want to get on it.
Attached Images