The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-15-2008, 03:05 PM   #1
Dingfodgy
Lemme show you something!!

Leaf Spring to Coil conversion

OK- here's the deal. I have a line on a fairly beat up 71 GMC 1/2 ton w/ leaf spring rear for cheap. I want to pirate the disc brakes off the front and put them on my '67. The question is: Can a person with tools, shop and average skill convert the leaf spring rear end to coil spring? Can I just pull out the axles and slap them in my current diff.? Should I just bag both ideas and keep a lookout for a 5-lug coil spring rear?
'95 BMW 325i ("Joy")
Dingfodgy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008, 08:44 PM   #2
greasy68

Re: Leaf Spring to Coil conversion

I have leaf springs and have been looking into a coil rear for a while now. It can be done by someone with an average skill level. You can buy new trailing arms, brackets, relocate shocks, panhard bar etc. and pretty much bolt/weld it in. I think the route I am going is buy a much more common coil spring rear end and trailing arm set up of a junk truck and swap it in as it sounds like you are wanting to know if you can do. I don't know about swapping axles but if they are the same rear end with the only difference being one is coil and one is leaf I don't see why not.
front discs, leaf spring rear
tilt steering wheel, stock ride height, rally wheels,
2007 Dodge Charger(Hemi)
greasy68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008, 09:58 PM   #3
myoldchevytruck
Retired Air Force Veteran

Hey Guys,

I just completed a Leaf to Coils Conversion. I've got a 69 GMC and I'm an average Joe. It was not difficult.

Biggest task, getting the brackets. I searched the board and alot of guys have frame parts. The panhard bracket. The (2) Cross-member to Trailing Arm Brackets. The Cross-member bracket for relocating the rear shocks. These were all factory riveted brackets - I used all grade 8 bolts.

I was fortunate. I picked my Trailing Arms with Coils and Hardware up at a Swap Meet for a great price, again from a board member.

I am using the GMC 6 lug axle and we cut the old brackets off and cleaned the axle off. Welded on NEW axle saddle brackets from Early Classic (ECE). Price was $29.00 pair plus shipping.

I'm going with a Super Track Bar, again from ECE. Were doing a 5-6 inch drop using drop coils.

I've got a SWB Step Side Wood Bed, So access is easy. Trust me, it was not difficult. PM me and I'll give you my number if you have questions.

Good Luck
Harry
Swap 6 Lug to 5 Lug (w/ Disk Brakes in Front)
3/6 Drop

Help Support The Board
Click Here For Information On How To Subscribe

Krue's FAQ Page

Vendors
myoldchevytruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008, 10:03 PM   #4
TravisH

I thought the 71-72 had a wider track width in the rear to match the front disks.

Hardest part of the swap would be getting the axle welded to the perchs in the right spot but if you take your time with an angle finder and tape measure it should be no problem
TravisH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008, 11:27 PM   #5
68jimmy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dingfodgy View Post
OK- here's the deal. I have a line on a fairly beat up 71 GMC 1/2 ton w/ leaf spring rear for cheap. I want to pirate the disc brakes off the front and put them on my '67. The question is: Can a person with tools, shop and average skill convert the leaf spring rear end to coil spring? Can I just pull out the axles and slap them in my current diff.? Should I just bag both ideas and keep a lookout for a 5-lug coil spring rear?
My 68 gmc was originally a 3/4 ton with the heavy leafs. I was able to find a donor 70 frame that was a coil setup and ground off all the rivets for the different cross members. The trailing arms I used were from a 66 3/4 ton, they are same dimensions just have some beefier plates attached to the arms for reinforcement. I cleaned and painted everything and attached using grade 8 bolts and red loctite. Used the rear diff from the 70 which is a 6 lug setup... All in all it wasn't too bad, I have a single car garage and I did all of the work in the driveway over a couple of days. The hardest part was moving and transporting all of that heavy suspension steel... Just get a good angle grinder a few wheels, eye protection, ear plugs, gloves and have at it.

I can send you some pics if you like.

good luck.
Old 02-25-2014, 09:45 PM   #6
BowDown916

Can you post some pics please...
BowDown916 is offline   Reply With Quote