The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-17-2023, 09:51 AM   #76
jaros44sr

Re: Most/Least Favorite Modifications/Upgrades

16679541796644954224432166538350 by [url=https://www.flickr.com/photos/97391199@N06

EFI out of '75 corvette, plus coil near plugs

All parts offered to help are free, unless otherwise noted

Dont try this stuff in my build thread, unless you have 55 years of mechanical OTJ training
SAFETY FIRST

AS usual, off topic

They say your mind goes second, can't remember the first

Jim
jaros44sr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2023, 04:16 PM   #77
D.B

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheepdip View Post
Either way a nice looking truck. I have had the thought of bucket seats with a console pass thru my mind.... and practicality always wins.

Right now me, the wife and Molly Dawg ride just fine on the factory bench seat.
If I went to bucket seats the wife would have to stay home!
That is too funny !!
D.B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2023, 08:43 AM   #78
68 C10 Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeveedee View Post
I use Rain-X and not the wipers. Drove my car pool buddy NUTS! And my wife...
I do the Rain-X thing too. That is some great stuff. The Air Force developed that years and years ago to apply to aircraft canopies. We would 'borrow' some and put it on our windshields. Started buying it when it became available in the stores.
68 C10 Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2023, 08:46 AM   #79
68 C10 Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffahart View Post
Here's a gas sign I pulled off the web just to show. I think you are showing your age if you call premium Ethyl. I'm older than dirt, but never call premium Ethyl anymore.
They used to call the leaded gas 'regular'. Cars ran so much better on 98 octane regular.
Old 08-18-2023, 08:57 AM   #80
68 C10 Driver

I do plan on installing the E-Stopp parking brake system. That will render my parking brake handle useless, but I want to keep it. I am planning on repurposing that handle into the hood release handle.
Old 08-19-2023, 11:00 AM   #81
sloGMC

Favorite, in no particular order:

4L80e, Carplay/touchscreen radio, roof lamps (they just look so cool), trailer brake controller, headlamp warning, hummer wheels....

Least Favorite:
1) Deleting the in cab fuel tank neck. Never had the tank myself, but converting to EFI with saddle tanks will be harder and more expensive. Not that I'll ever convert to EFI anyways.
2) Wasn't super impressed with the easy-latches. They're okay, marginally quieter than the stock ones, but I think the door alignment and gaskets have more to do with doors not closing easily than the stock latch setup being the problem.

I also really like fixing everything that was broken/ not working ideally. My original ignition switch would require 5-10 minutes of jiggling to move from 'off' to 'start', so replacing that was a great value add. Not really a mod though.
Old 08-19-2023, 11:22 PM   #82
dmjlambert

I've enjoyed seeing what everybody likes about their trucks. I've prepared about 6 responses to this thread for my favorites, and ending up just deleting. I was being too verbose. So here goes.

Here's what I like on my 69 CST/10 long bed fleetside with body, paint, and rust by Chevy, God, and Time, and almost nothing done to it except:
Rebuilt original 350 and TH400 and A/C system, stock height spindles and manual front disc brakes from a 71, rebuilt stock combination valve from a 72, reupholstered bench seat with houndstooth cloth period correct although incorrect for 67-72 and with other assorted custom upholstery, under bench seat custom speaker boxes with powerful speakers and bluetooth amp, shortened and rebuilt non-tilt steering column with 66-one-year-only standard steering wheel.

Least favorite: the things where I didn't know what I was doing or bought cheap Chinese crud parts and had to do it twice.

Next things on my list that will make it even better: I have a dash repair section and regular stock working AM radio ready to install.
dmjlambert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2023, 12:57 AM   #83
Accelo

Least favorite:
Aftermarket Rear sway bar.
Truck would sway side to side when the tires lost grip.
Bad enough to almost wreck the truck. (Removed and it went back to tracking straight)

SS brake lines that were "plug and play". Not even close and the seller knew it but sold them as Plug-n-play any way.

Crappy small front disc brake conversion calipers. (Just saw a set of CPP large calipers and they look great and work well) Unsure if they were available 2 years ago?

Best:
LS1 with 4L60E.
Vintage Air conversion.
Accelo is offline   Reply With Quote