The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-12-2010, 03:23 AM   #51
wwotr

Re: 72 C-10 and my first child...is it safe?

Quote:
Originally Posted by John @ BROTHERS View Post
Not necessarily true. When it comes to kids, safety comes first. Just watch this.

YouTube - Crash test Chevrolet 1959 vs Chevrolet 2009
OMG...
BLASHEMY!!!

How could ANYONE destroy a 59 Bel Air like that.

I'm in Tears!
back in November of 2011.
I don't visit the site much anymore,
but please feel free,
to drop me a private message.
RIP...."RATIKLE"

Last edited by wwotr; 09-12-2010 at 03:24 AM.
wwotr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 08:04 AM   #52
bigsnookmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by PanelDeland View Post
I grew up in the,Dad's right arm across the chest inplace of a seat belt,era.I think that the old rides have (for the most part) Safer drivers since they usually work hard to keep them reliable and in good condition.They don't want to lose their investment.There's no reason not to add the 3 point belts and other safety stuff if you can.
That said,you can buy a Volvo(usually known for safety),live in a gated neighborhood,use the home alarm system religiously,eat only organic vegatarian,you can see the Dr.daily or even become one.There are still a thousand ways to die.So my question is,Why would you want to have a life you didn't live? Or have a child you kept from living a life with a little "FUN" in it?
I agree with you, we can do all the right things in life, then die in a plane crash, cancer, or be struck by lightning. When your'e time comes, thats it. That being said, I think if you're truck has good tires,is mechanically sound,and you drive right, I think you will be fine. I would consider stepping up to 4wheel power disc brakes, and taking the less traveled roads. And if your'e hit head on by a semi, or big truck, you will also die if you're in a 2009 malibu! .02
bigsnookmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 02:23 PM   #53
Hubscrub
Cruzin

well i have no problem whatsoever putting a kid in my old truck or cars anytime any day, i see no reason to worry about it. i rode just like most on here in old stuff and my parents didn't worry about it i'm only 28 but my dad and mom always drove classics for most of my childhood everyday a 71 truck and a 70 chevelle but back then people weren't as overprotective as they are now. i would never drive my truck or cars if i felt they were unsafe anyways so..... i asked my wife about this and she said why would it matter as long as there in there proper seat i wouldn't mine, and she deals with small kids everyday at her job i don't have kids yet but i am a uncle of three little ones and they love my classics more than anything and my kids will for sure be riding along with me to shows etc...

Back to the Fifties 59 https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...NAeStpydfrcj_U

Proverbs 3:5,6

"Thanks to the Interstate Highway System, it is now possible to travel across the country from coast to coast without seeing anything."Charles Kuralt

In memory of our first baby daughter, daddy and mommy love you.
Danica Grace 6/26/14

Last edited by Hubscrub; 09-12-2010 at 04:26 PM.
Hubscrub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 02:51 PM   #54
eyebuzz
Licensed driver

It's all relative to the type of vehicle - I'd much rather be in an accident in a 2010 Suburban than my '72 - but I'd rather be in my '72 Suburban than a 2010 Honda Civic in an accident. There really is something to be said about the weight and strength of the older trucks - AS a safety measure. I also feel a fair amount of responsibility on the road and drive very safe and slow regardless of the damage that could happen to me because of the damage I could cause to someone in a smaller vehicle.

BTW - I drive six kids around all the time (ages 5 - 14).

TT
eyebuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 03:54 PM   #55
darush01

If it makes you feel any better I'll make a list of what I have lived through riding in as a young child, 66 gmc swb, 78 chevy 1 ton wrecker, 59 f!@#d wrecker, 70 c10 350 3spd,75 gmc work truck, 75 international house trailer mover thing..........and I survived but thats only a fraction of the older vehicles and half of which didnt even have functional seatbelts.
darush01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 01:32 PM   #56
nickp51chevy
Registered Chevy Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aarons72 View Post
Just for clarification...I'm not talking about a joyride once in a while with the baby...my 72 is my daily driver...So if we go somewhere, were going in the Chevy.
I take my son in my '71 with me all the time. Like said before; as long as you upgrade your seat belts you should be fine.

If you still have doubts about having you kid in the truck with you, you could take it to the fire department and have them check it for you. I don't know if they do that in OR, but in WA they do it for free. Won't hurt checking into it to see if they do.

Again like said before, the only reason that car seats aren't in front in late model cars is because of the air bags. So unless your truck has a passenger side air bag, you'll be fine. Just make sure that the seat is secured well, and all will be fine.

1970 Chevy CST C10 long box 350/400
2008 Chevy Silverado short box 4x4

Had;
1951 Chevy short box 307/T5
1988 Chevy shot box 4x4 350/350
1971 Chevy C10 long box 4x4 350/350
1971 Chevy C20 long box 350/350
1971 Chevy C10 long box 350/350
nickp51chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 01:58 PM   #57
hotrodhomi

Quote:
Originally Posted by John @ BROTHERS View Post
Not necessarily true. When it comes to kids, safety comes first. Just watch this.

YouTube - Crash test Chevrolet 1959 vs Chevrolet 2009
bad example: that's an x frame car hitting one corner.
hotrodhomi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 05:32 PM   #58
'72customdeluxe

"So many people tiptoe through life, so carefully, to arrive, safely, at death." everyone is so worried about dieing they never really do anything. An asteroid could bonk you on the head while you're walking down the street. You are never safe from death
Old 09-13-2010, 05:59 PM   #59
LEEVON

Different truck I know, but my cousin and I were riding in my Grandpa's '77 silverado in Oklahoma circa 1981 and the door popped open as we were turning through an intersection and she tumbled out into traffic (unscathed but scared). It doesn't take much to open the door in my '71 so I always make sure and lock it when my son is riding along. Also the fit of the car seat is important, bolster it with towels, anthing to make it snug and not roll or slide (which is a problem with these vinyl bench seats). Another thing is that my tires have gotten sketchy and so I wouldn't take my kids out in the rain, just common sense talking to me.

I think it is riskier riding in these trucks but the joy outweighs the risk. I just look at it as somewhere between riding a motorcycle and riding in a new car with airbags then counter by driving safer.

Last edited by LEEVON; 09-13-2010 at 06:02 PM.
LEEVON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010, 10:40 PM   #60
schwoch1
Local Detroit diesel nut!

My 2 year old daughter rides everywhere with me in my '71 GMC. I put a new seatbelt so I could put the car seat in the middle. She loves riding in my truck, I imagine because she can see what is going on while driving down the road!!!
I have gotten reamed out by do gooders telling me that I am putting my kid at risk. My response, my kid my decision on what happens to her!!!
My opinion, put some new seat belts for the car seat (the original ones don't work well with most car seats anyhow), make sure the floor isn't totally rotted out and strap the kid seat in and go driving!!!

Mike
Old 09-19-2010, 01:48 AM   #61
pat 70/71

My sons are now 21&19 would have drove them around in my truck if it ran back then. More metal the better our trucks are safe dammit!! cheers, Pat
pat 70/71 is offline   Reply With Quote