The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-28-2008, 08:39 AM   #1
VDOG
Grand PooBaa Member

Brake Lines

Ok, I did the disc brake conversion on my 69. Now im going to install a master, prop valve and booster off a 72 Blazer. My problem, which brake lines do I need to connect the prop valve to the front and rear brakes? I tried to do the brake line flare, (*^%$ THAT) so the kit will be going back to CPP tomorrow.
I did a search, but all I find is disc conversions or booster installs and not the brake lines. Also do I need to run the whole line from front to back or just use a piece with a union?
Attached Images

VDOG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2008, 09:05 AM   #2
yellowGT

Re: Brake Lines

I just finished the project this weekend. I had done the 5 lug disc conversion from a square body truck. So of course, I changed the brake booster and master cylinder too along with prop. valve all from the square body. My 69 had the same prop valve as you have in the pics where one line is for the rear and the other to the front brakes. I ran the one to the rear with a union but had to run two individuals to the front because thats how the square bodies are. Pretty simple... took two lines, bent them, and took the t adapter off and ran one line to the left and the other to the right. any questions let me know i could try to guide you thru any obsticles.

'84 swb chevy
'69 swb chevy
'68 swb chevy
'95 Impala ss-sold
'89 chevy crew cab dually 3+3
yellowGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2008, 09:49 AM   #3
VDOG
Grand PooBaa Member

Tried to bend and flare a line using the kit from CPP. When I tried to flare, all I did was expand the line opening, no flareing. Also what year brake lines did you use?
Old 05-28-2008, 01:32 PM   #4
tommypic

I am doing the same thing ( I guess ) . I have a booster setup off a 72 , but what I want to know is where or how did you run your new lines to the rear ( Disk on 4 corners ) . I don't have any lines to run back now . I am going to need new 1's and the clips that hold them to the frame ( gas line to ) . So what I am wanting to know is where can I get new , good used lines or make them myself ? The frame should be back from powder coating this week . I want to get everything in line to go back on . I needs a good Blazer gas tank too . I am having new trailing arms made ( lucky me FREE ) by my son who works in a fab shop , got the rear axles turned down going with 5 lug . going with caprice brakes on the rear . So right now I am just and trying to get every thing to gather

2008 Silverado Z71 LTZ Wrecked New Ride SOLD
71-72 Custom A/C Parts Truck < selling parts
67 Chevy ShortStep SOLD
67 GMC SWB Step <-- For Sell
67 Chevy SWB Step <-- working on
2000 Road King <-- SOLD
97 F150 my ride for now
2006 Escape wifes ride

HELP SUPPORT THE BOARD http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/payments.php

Great How To Thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=157669

Vendor Sites http://67-72chevytrucks.com/links/browselinks.php?c=2
tommypic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2008, 01:48 PM   #5
70GMCer

This is where I bought my kit. Great prices, great fit & great customer support. No fabbing. Went right in.

http://www.finelinesinc.com/

1965 Mustang
70GMCer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2008, 05:44 PM   #6
VDOG
Grand PooBaa Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70GMCer View Post
This is where I bought my kit. Great prices, great fit & great customer support. No fabbing. Went right in.

http://www.finelinesinc.com/
What did you buy for what year truck? My 69 brake lines do not meet up with any new prop valve. Thats why I keep asking what year to use. 71 or later lines?
Old 05-28-2008, 09:39 PM   #7
70GMCer

I tried finding me receipt for my line kit, but couldn't. Give the a email or call them. They will set you up. Mine fit perfect from front to back. They have a kit for disk conversion for 67/70 trucks.

1965 Mustang
Old 05-28-2008, 10:56 PM   #8
tcb-1
Nothing to see here.....

I spliced my front and rear lines in with a union approximately 8" above the frame and bent my own lines from there. piece of cake with practice.

THANK YOU to our American Soldiers & Veterans - POW MIA "You will NEVER be forgotten".

The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not. Thomas Jefferson
tcb-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2008, 11:14 PM   #9
VDOG
Grand PooBaa Member

The bending of the line I can get close to what I need, the flaring is the pain.
When I flared a pratice tube, all I did was make the opening wider, no flare what so ever.
Old 05-29-2008, 12:56 AM   #10
neonlarry

Trying to double flare small stainless lines without a hydraulic flaring tool is an exercise in futility.
neonlarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 01:11 AM   #11
VDOG
Grand PooBaa Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by neonlarry View Post
Trying to double flare small stainless lines without a hydraulic flaring tool is an exercise in futility.
Your right!! Thats why this flare kit will be back at CPP tomorrow. The Hydraulic Kit I saw from Master Power Brakes was 385.00. Its not that serious. So can I use 71-72 brake lines?
Old 05-29-2008, 01:43 AM   #12
LSGarage

If I'm not mistaken, you can single flare a stainless steel brake line. Double flare are for straight steel brake lines.
13 Honda CRV (wife's wheels)
03 Malibu (daughter’s car)
LSGarage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 03:22 AM   #13
VDOG
Grand PooBaa Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSGarage View Post
If I'm not mistaken, you can single flare a stainless steel brake line. Double flare are for straight steel brake lines.
Again the home flaring kit is not working for me. I know someone here just replace their brake line with another year
Old 05-29-2008, 06:18 AM   #14
byrd
Union Electrician

I used www.inlinetube.com.
They seem to be cheaper than the other place metioned and I really liked their customoer service, so much that I will be ordering from them again in the near future. Full stainless brake line kit $185 or $155 for stock compared to $206 for stainless on the other site.
Zip:40272
Big Sandy Survivor...

Quote:
We cannot choose the way we die, but we can choose the way we live
Quote:
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.
Quote:
I think Congressmen should wear uniforms like NASCAR drivers so we could identify their corporate sponsors
byrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 07:24 AM   #15
VDOG
Grand PooBaa Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by byrd View Post
I used www.inlinetube.com.
They seem to be cheaper than the other place metioned and I really liked their customoer service, so much that I will be ordering from them again in the near future. Full stainless brake line kit $185 or $155 for stock compared to $206 for stainless on the other site.
I looked at their site, what did you order? What MC, prop vlave and booster setup do you have? And this is on what year truck?
Old 05-29-2008, 12:53 PM   #16
byrd
Union Electrician

I bought the complete kit, but I called and had the package modiied for my truck. I have a 67 frame, and a72 suspention. I bought the booster kit from Brothers.
Zip:40272
Big Sandy Survivor...

Quote:
We cannot choose the way we die, but we can choose the way we live
Quote:
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.
Quote:
I think Congressmen should wear uniforms like NASCAR drivers so we could identify their corporate sponsors
byrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 02:04 PM   #17
truckdude239

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSGarage View Post
NEVER EVER SINGLE FLARE A brake line it will blow and leak . any way i got all my lines from www.inlinetube.com after i found out my rear end wasn't oringal and the lines for 71 woulnd/t fit they custom bent the rear end lines for me for like 10 buxs more

1971 Chevy c-10 under going a 4.8l LSx swap

Build Thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=421305

2007 Honda Accord my daily 145kmiles
2002 Honda Accord 4 door With 330k(sisters car)
2005 toyota Avalon 228k( brothers car)
2002 Sububran 5.3 245k
2000 Tahoe 5.3l 378

General manager for Marco's Carwash & lube

Last edited by truckdude239; 05-29-2008 at 02:05 PM.
truckdude239 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 02:11 PM   #18
70GMCer

All I can say is I paid $100 for the complete kit including mc lines at http://www.finelinesinc.com/

Email or call them and they will set you up. If not, then you can buy the "higher priced spread"....

1965 Mustang
Old 05-29-2008, 03:16 PM   #19
Sammy

Don't know about where you are at but in my state it is automatic failure to use single flare brake lines if caught during inspection. Must be for a reason. I used inline tube very minor alteration for fit & reasonable with quick shipping. They are good people to deal with.

"You can wash a pig, soak it in most expensive perfume. In the end it is still just a pig."

ODD BALL build thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=478629"
Sammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 11:25 PM   #20
Gulf Rat

I prefered Finelines, had no problems. I order everything for a 71 w/power disc brakes. Everything worked great with maybe a tweak here and there.
The lines going for the frame to the propotioning valve needed the most tweaking but works/looking great now....WOOT I have brakes again.

Gulf Rat
Gulf Rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 11:52 PM   #21
VDOG
Grand PooBaa Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gulf Rat View Post
I prefered Finelines, had no problems. I order everything for a 71 w/power disc brakes. Everything worked great with maybe a tweak here and there.
The lines going for the frame to the propotioning valve needed the most tweaking but works/looking great now....WOOT I have brakes again.

Gulf Rat
1971 and 72 trucks came with disc brakes. So did you just replace the lines you already had with new one?
Old 05-30-2008, 12:18 AM   #22
Gulf Rat

Went from no power to power brakes, so had to replace all lines coming from frame to prop valve to master cylinder. Got the master cylinder and power booster from the local parts store. Only thing I had to get was the brackets that mount it to the firewall, if you need them I have some extra's. Can also send you pictures of my setup.

Gulf Rat
Gulf Rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2008, 12:51 AM   #23
VDOG
Grand PooBaa Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gulf Rat View Post
Went from no power to power brakes, so had to replace all lines coming from frame to prop valve to master cylinder. Got the master cylinder and power booster from the local parts store. Only thing I had to get was the brackets that mount it to the firewall, if you need them I have some extra's. Can also send you pictures of my setup.

Gulf Rat
Yes send me the pictures, I would appreciate that. Look at my line, you can see they were not setup for disc brakes, I had a metering block.
To make it worse, my MC is used for a car. But thats the one that came with the truck.
Attached Images

Last edited by VDOG; 05-30-2008 at 12:52 AM.
Old 05-30-2008, 02:27 AM   #24
DavesRide

Flaring pipe isn't that bad. Being without tools myself currently,I would check if the NAPA shop can't make it 4you. A 6 foot piece with fittings and flares is not any more than $7.00 +or-. They may ask for labor charges but if this is the only flaring you need to do for the next year, it may be cheaper than buying the tools and learning the art yourself. And yes, you can use unions from front to back. Get creative and figure out how to do it with the least amount of unions. They sell them in various lengths so figure out total length and also where you want the union for ease of installation. If figure is inbetween buy the longer and adjust out the extra. David
Old 05-30-2008, 03:10 AM   #25
VDOG
Grand PooBaa Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavesRide View Post
Flaring pipe isn't that bad. Being without tools myself currently,I would check if the NAPA shop can't make it 4you. A 6 foot piece with fittings and flares is not any more than $7.00 +or-. They may ask for labor charges but if this is the only flaring you need to do for the next year, it may be cheaper than buying the tools and learning the art yourself. David
Now we get into the bend problem. Maybe im making more of this then I should. The guy at Fine lines told me for the disc conversion, I need the $65 kit for oem and $90 for Stainless. This kit connects to the unions for the front brake and rear existing brake lines. My biggest question to the board was could we just use the brake lines from a 71 or 72 truck?