The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-28-2011, 09:39 PM   #76
71/454
Turbo Guy

Re: Something I've been working on...

Havent updated this build thread in a while so I guess it's due.
I built the 4l80e and the 9 inch but it was only so so. The auto trans was ok but I didn't have near enough stall in the converter so it felt alot slower. If I did it over again I would order at least 3200 stall. The lockup on the trans makes cruising a breeze. It was fast when it went into boost but didn't feel racy like the 4 speed. That 4l80e is tough though, it would shift so hard on the 1-2 that I had to lift about half the time to make it stop spinning.
The 9 inch was another story. I was told running an offset pinion would be fine but for me it wasn't. I couldn't get the driveline vibration out of it. I was so frustrated with it I barely put any miles on the truck all summer. This was what made me go back to what works with a stronger do-over.
I am currently finishing up the 4 speed install, the new and improved 12 bolt is in so it should be all good. I was lucky to find this nodular iron cased t-10 locally, it has the high nickel gearset too. I don't want to break another trans, and I don't have the money to go to a tko!

Things I've broken so far:
12 bolt diff
saginaw 4 spd many, many pieces
Aluminum case Super t-10 4 spd
71/454 is offline   Reply With Quote