The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-21-2014, 05:53 PM   #1
Jaysonb

79 side molding question

I would like to put side molding on my 79 k10. The smaller top and bottom trim that would have came on the truck. I have no molding holes now, so any measurements that anyone can give me would be great, but my mane question is, does the trim kit from LMC have all the trim I will need? I'm just not sure if where the trim wraps around the back of the box is a separate piece than the long pieces going down the box side. Any help would be great!! Thanks.
Jaysonb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2014, 07:07 PM   #2
ray_mcavoy

Re: 79 side molding question

Here is a sketch that I drew up years ago when we put the side molding back on Dad's 77 after replacing many of the body panels.

The "BL" on the sketch is an abbreviation for body line ... the edge where the contour of the body panels changes from rounded to flat.

This sketch doesn't include all of the original holes. We decided to substitute a number of the stud/nut type clips for the stick-on ones to reduce the number of holes we had to drill in the new panels. There were originally a lot more holes on the front fenders, along with a few more near the rear of the bedsides.

Note that holes A, B, C, D, M, and N are small holes that take self-threading sheetmetal screws that go through holes in the trim. I'd recommend using your trim as the template for these holes because I found that their position tends to vary a little ... even with the NOS trim we used. If I remember correctly, holes I and J needed to be a little larger in diameter than the rest because they take a type of clip that snaps into the hole. The remaining holes only need to be large enough for a 1/4" stud plus a little wiggle room for fine adjustment.

The bedsides have 4 pieces of molding on each side. (1) Wheelwell molding. (2) A long top piece that runs the full length of the bed and wraps around to the tailgate. (3) A lower/front piece that runs from the front of the bed back to the wheel opening. And (4) a lower/rear piece that runs from the wheel opening back and wraps around to the tailgate.
ray_mcavoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2014, 07:13 PM   #3
Jaysonb

Re: 79 side molding question

Wow!!! Thanks a lot!!!!! Perfect. Any one used the trim from LMC?
Jaysonb is offline   Reply With Quote